What does "monkeow" (along with a pinch) mean

matta330

My wife (and an old gf before that also would do that) will occasionally give me a pinch and say something that sounds like monkeow. Any clue what that means? Neither could explain it to me and I am sure that I am checking the wrong places on line...

Yeah the 'keow' part is 'fangs' http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/1277881.html

and then 'man' similar to 'can't stop' http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/1414276.html

Not really an exact translation in English but 'I can't get enough of you' or 'Good enough to bite' works

Another thread on it http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/497558-mann-khiao/

Edited by jspill

My wife (and an old gf before that also would do that) will occasionally give me a pinch and say something that sounds like monkeow. Any clue what that means? Neither could explain it to me and I am sure that I am checking the wrong places on line...

They were both saying that you are so handsome that they get the goosebumps just looking at you.

Goosebumps can also be a result of fear or even anger, You might want to keep that in the back of your mind if the eyes of the speaker /pincher are not twinkling. About the time we think we have it figured out, someone drops a ice cube into our perfect morning coffee

It is a playful expression of adoration - - -

now, if you want to take it up a notch - - you can pinch them back and say "mon sai" which can have a connotation of being a little annoyed playful or seriously annoyed and slightly playful, depending on the tone of voice…

it will get a laugh…

you can even give them a "mon sai jing jing" that you really mean it… but do and say it with plenty of play and laughter…

• 1 month later...

Not so fast.

มันเขี้ยว man keow, says "I want to sink my fangs into you"!

Followed by a pinch is "but that's all I can do to you."

You had just annoyed her and she wanted to slap you silly but that would be out of place.

The degree of annoyance is indicated by the intensity of the utterance and the pinch.

Yes, it's a playful blowing off of a physical urge to put an end to it when words got no where.

Think back to what you did to elicit this.

I bet you there was some degree of annoyance or disagreement, you were blabbering, insisting, etc.

"You're so cute I want to eat you up" is น่ารักปานจะกลืนกิน or cute enough to swallow whole.

That may also be followed by some physical action, a pinch as women are fond to do.

Not so fast.

มันเขี้ยว man keow, says "I want to sink my fangs into you"!

Followed by a pinch is "but that's all I can do to you."

You had just annoyed her and she wanted to slap you silly but that would be out of place.

The degree of annoyance is indicated by the intensity of the utterance and the pinch.

Yes, it's a playful blowing off of a physical urge to put an end to it when words got no where.

Think back to what you did to elicit this.

I bet you there was some degree of annoyance or disagreement, you were blabbering, insisting, etc.

"You're so cute I want to eat you up" is น่ารักปานจะกลืนกิน or cute enough to swallow whole.

That may also be followed by some physical action, a pinch as women are fond to do.

Thats not correct at all!!!! it's more endearment than annoyance....

[Thats not correct at all!!!! it's more endearment than annoyance.... ]

It is an endearing expression elicited by annoyance if you're not really that cute.

I am assuming that the recipients here are not little babies or puppies cute enough to swallow whole.

That was why I asked for the events preceding to help determine the context.

You could have just done something incredibly nice, cute, but more likely, annoying would be my guess.

I would say that 90% of the time, I was just minding my own business,and the pinch/monkeow comes out of nowhere. Old gf liked to pinch in taxi cabs, current wife likes to pinch while walking with me. Both of them always saying monkeow at the same time they are pinching.

[Thats not correct at all!!!! it's more endearment than annoyance.... ]

It is an endearing expression elicited by annoyance if you're not really that cute.

I am assuming that the recipients here are not little babies or puppies cute enough to swallow whole.

That was why I asked for the events preceding to help determine the context.

You could have just done something incredibly nice, cute, but more likely, annoying would be my guess.

Im sorry but that is completely untrue. Your assumptions are incorrect and your comments irrelevant regarding annoyance ! It's simply not true at all...you need to check it properly before giving Thai language advice !!!!!!!

[Im sorry but that is completely untrue. Your assumptions are incorrect and your comments irrelevant regarding annoyance ! It's simply not true at all...you need to check it properly before giving Thai language advice !!!!!!! ] - musiclover

Consider the following account:

[I would say that 90% of the time, I was just minding my own business,and the pinch/monkeow comes out of nowhere.] - matta330

If matta330 "90% of the time" was lost in himself "minding his own business" and suddenly the munkeow and pinch came out of nowhere:

1) matta330 was the very specimen of cuteness exemplified such that his wife would not be able to help herself but be periodically overwhelmed with the urge to gobble him up.

2) his wife was annoyed by the fact that he was lost in himself and unresponsive to her presence and apparent desire for interaction, perhaps something she said that went unheard.

Which is the more likely scenario?

Edited by Tahnil

[Im sorry but that is completely untrue. Your assumptions are incorrect and your comments irrelevant regarding annoyance ! It's simply not true at all...you need to check it properly before giving Thai language advice !!!!!!! ] - musiclover

Consider the following account:

[I would say that 90% of the time, I was just minding my own business,and the pinch/monkeow comes out of nowhere.] - matta330

If matta330 "90% of the time" was lost in himself "minding his own business" and suddenly the munkeow and pinch came out of nowhere:

1) matta330 was the very specimen of cuteness exemplified such that his wife would not be able to help herself but be periodically overwhelmed with the urge to gobble him up.

2) his wife was annoyed by the fact that he was lost in himself and unresponsive to her presence and apparent desire for interaction, perhaps something she said that went unheard.

Which is the more likely scenario?

Oh dear ....Scenario 1) is correct ...though you have phrased it in a strange way. I repeat there is NO annoyance factor involved at all !!!!!!!

[Oh dear ....Scenario 1) is correct ...though you have phrased it in a strange way. I repeat there is NO annoyance factor involved at all !!!!!!!]

So we all would like to think.

[Neither lady ever seemed annoyed at the time I was getting pinched. So I'm 99% sure that had no bearing on the situation.]

That is why men are from Mars and women from Venus.

Mind you, Thais hide their negative feelings and gloss things over.

This can be similar to the yes means no dilemma.

If nothing else, pinching should give you gentlemen a pause.

That's what women do when it does not warrant a clawing.

[Oh dear ....Scenario 1) is correct ...though you have phrased it in a strange way. I repeat there is NO annoyance factor involved at all !!!!!!!]

So we all would like to think.

[Neither lady ever seemed annoyed at the time I was getting pinched. So I'm 99% sure that had no bearing on the situation.]

That is why men are from Mars and women from Venus.

Mind you, Thais hide their negative feelings and gloss things over.

This can be similar to the yes means no dilemma.

If nothing else, pinching should give you gentlemen a pause.

That's what women do when it does not warrant a clawing.

Ok ..good for keeping it light !!!! But really you need to check this out, perhaps with a Thai lady (!) and you will find out for sure ..........

[Me and my gf came to the conclusion it means charming]

"That's cute" means charming in English.

But half the time it's sarcastic.

มันเขี้ยว when used with babies and puppies reliably means "so cute."

But to an older husband lost in himself, well, you get the idea.

Unless you know exactly what incredibly cute thing you've just done to elicit the comment and the pinch...

Be realistic, the chances of you being so physically attractive that women get spontaneously and suddenly overwhelmed are slim to none.

And if that were the case, the มันเขี้ยว would be followed by a smothering hug to gobble you up more than a pinch.

Bottom line, if you know what's going on then it's charming, if you're clueless then it's to get your attention.

Edited by Tahnil