Been bitten by a snake? General Treatment? Action Plan?

Chuckles78

I took a friend to a hospital near buriram who had been bitten by something ,it left 2 holes like a snake bite ,the hospital was 30 minutes hard driving away ,they wanted to know names of parents addresses of everyone and who's paying before they would even look at the bite ,we were at the hospital 1 hour before someone looked at it ,had to wait in a queue,unbelievable.after a further hour my friend said he's going home ,scared he would catch a disease at the hospital ,dirty disgusting place ,people spitting and dropping food and plasters on the floor

Best action plan is to know which hospitals store anti-venom., at least then you have a clear plan of where to go.

Good luck and look after those kids

Reminds me a couple of years ago I saw a story in Tharath of a Thai farmer who'd been bitten by a snake and gone to the local hospital for treatment. However, when she got there, they said they didn't have any anti snake venom and so she got no treatment. There was a photo of her lying in her hut back in her village some time later and her arm looked a red mess due to the damage from the untreated bite: it looked like she would lose her arm. The story was done to highlight her plight and see if anyone could help. In practice it seems that the poor can fall through the net here with snake bites and get no treatment.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Hospitals hold venom...anti venom that is.My wife was bitten and we lost valuable time by speeding to a private hospital nearby, only to be re directed to the general hospital.All went well....1 day admission. But I truly hope i will never experience the chaos again.

Best action plan is to know which hospitals store anti-venom., at least then you have a clear plan of where to go.

Good luck and look after those kids

Yes I was bitten by a snake many years ago when green and stupid (me not the snake). Was for some obscure reason helping out on the then gf family's farm, barefoot and ankle deep in water helping irrigate the corn.

Thought I had stepped on a sharp stone, lifted my foot out of the water and there was a snake hanging off my foot, fangs embedded in said foot. Poor sod, i must have trod on him.

Too shocked to react rationally by trying to nab the snake he promptly fell off in the water and was gone.

After a fraught and panicky drive to the local hospital, not in a major town, I was first shown a poster with pics of about 50 snakes on it and asked could i identify my attacker. No chance.

Then I was given what i assumed was an anti-venom injection. Turns out months later when i finally got a grasp of the lingo that i had been given a tetanus shot. haha

Whatever. I'm still here.

We got a Thai dog mix as a puppy for that very reason. As a puppy she barked and charged repeatedly at a long green snake that kept coming into our garden and we haven't seen it since. I have read that they have been known to kill cobras. But they are independent and a bit hard to train. Also our Thai dog loves to chase any reptile and will dig a giant hole in the garden to get at them. She also will steal any shoes left outside of front doors on our street. You just have to decide if its worth it, but guaranteed there will be no snakes! I named her Claire because I love to hear Thai speakers try to pronounce her name. It usually takes them at least 10 tries to say it.

Yes I was bitten by a snake many years ago when green and stupid (me not the snake). Was for some obscure reason helping out on the then gf family's farm, barefoot and ankle deep in water helping irrigate the corn.

Thought I had stepped on a sharp stone, lifted my foot out of the water and there was a snake hanging off my foot, fangs embedded in said foot. Poor sod, i must have trod on him.

Too shocked to react rationally by trying to nab the snake he promptly fell off in the water and was gone.

After a fraught and panicky drive to the local hospital, not in a major town, I was first shown a poster with pics of about 50 snakes on it and asked could i identify my attacker. No chance.

Then I was given what i assumed was an anti-venom injection. Turns out months later when i finally got a grasp of the lingo that i had been given a tetanus shot. haha

Whatever. I'm still here.

A tetanus shot isn't a bad idea if you haven't kept up your immunology.You never know where those fangs have been or what he has ingested . Even non-lethal snake bites .

We got a Thai dog mix as a puppy for that very reason. As a puppy she barked and charged repeatedly at a long green snake that kept coming into our garden and we haven't seen it since. I have read that they have been known to kill cobras. But they are independent and a bit hard to train. Also our Thai dog loves to chase any reptile and will dig a giant hole in the garden to get at them. She also will steal any shoes left outside of front doors on our street. You just have to decide if its worth it, but guaranteed there will be no snakes! I named her Claire because I love to hear Thai speakers try to pronounce her name. It usually takes them at least 10 tries to say it.

Should get over the show fetish by age 2 in my experience. Dogs are worth having.

• 2 weeks later...