Yingluck gets invitation to visit from EU Parliament

webfact

Despite all the problems that the EU has, it is still an extremely powerful and important organisation. The Junta have been given a real dilemma here, if they refuse to let her go they risk souring relations with the EU even further, and with millions of baht on the trade table they risk loosing such things as fish imports.

On the other hand if they do let her go she will no doubt give the EU representatives first hand knowledge about what is going on in this Country at present, after all she has plenty of experience of 'attitude adjustment' and personal vendetta through the so called Thai 'justice system'

As for the nonsense post about her not speaking English well, President Xi of China has just had a very successful tour of Britain. I'm sure David Cameron spoke to him in fluent Mandarin all the time - that's what interpreters are employed for.

Actually she speaks perfectly serviceable English but it has become the mantra among the "good people" that she does not.The slightly comical aspect is that when the "good people" made this point on social media (invariably in a vile and abusive way) their own English was deplorable as is too often the case among the "educate" Sino Thai middle class.

Put up or shut up : link please.

I saw her BBC interview and embarassing doesn't come close.

'I am from election' was not an appropriate answer to any of the questions I heard him ask.

Her English is perfectly adequate and on a par with most of the Sino Thai business class who have attended a third tier US university.

I would take the criticisms more seriously if they were applied across the board to all Thai PMs including some who spoke no English at all and some who do[emoji8] but don't dare face the BBC.

As for foreign critics like you unless you attended Eton like Abhisit or Winchester like Korn, there are plenty of your fellow countrymen who would look down on yours shoddy syntax (""embarrassing doesn't come close") or your common lower middle class or regional accent - so a little humility is in order.

Oh do stop being such a pompous oaf. It does nothing to add to your argument, and makes you appear one of those red brick university graduates who constantly mentions their degree.

The forum has rules against being "language police". Maybe you should read them. This is a discussion forum, where all comments are valid, even yours. Who appointed you a judge of English btw? Are you a former TEFL teacher or school master? Perhaps you are a language professor as you think you can determine the class, even down to small divisions, and regional accent from how someone writes. Your's would perhaps be a working class lad whose university education, the first in his family, leads to his insecurity and class conscious riddled responses that require constant reinforcement by adopting a superior sometimes insulting attitude to others?

Yingluck's English is appalling. This thread is about Yingluck or hadn't you noticed? She has a Master's Degree which had to be written in English so it would be reasonable to expect a higher capability. Based on her TV interviews, she has very limited ability and would be advised to use an interpreter.

A more pertinent question is why do we suddenly get the invitation, issued by 2 German veteran career politicians, who are both members of Merkel's CDU?

Why did she get an invite?

sounds and looks like someone has called in a favour owed from some time back, maybe a big brother.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you have a typical red politician demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of modern democratic systems. Surapong Tovichakchaikul was former Foreign Minister and Deputy PM under Yingluck. He signed the petition to grant Thaksin amnesty.

He said Ms Yingluck is still considered innocent by law because no legal case against her had been concluded yet.

I realize they don't teach civics in Thailand, because the MOE is too busy shoving culture courses down the throats of Thai children, but an impeachment is a trial and is considered a legal case. Yingluck was duly convicted, so she is not "innocent".

An impeachment is a formal accusation of wrongdoing against a public official. There is a trial and the vote on the impeachment results in a judgment, just like a court trial.

The European Commission has an office in Thailand and so do all embassies of EU countries. They have direct access to all information need with or without YS going to Europe.

Yes, but there is an important point about democracy which would be good to be made in public.

Putting this in a EU context.

We have 2 German veteran MEP CDU career politicians suddenly inviting YL to the EU parliament. One is 69 year old (and people comment about Thai dinosaurs in politics!) and is also chair of the EU Federalists. Like Merkel, who also happens to be CDU, a committed Federalist who wants the EU parliament to rule Europe.

Each sovereign EU member country has its own government, foreign office and embassies. The EU Commission has an office in Thailand (again "managed" by a German national). Presumably all these provide information to their respective foreign offices back home?

Question in the EU should be:

what has instigated this letter? Have lobbyists been involved? If so, who and why?

are these CDU MEP's speaking with their committees' endorsement or as individuals?

Once again it looks like a waste of EU taxpayers, of which I'm one, money. It is yet another example of the federalists, especially the German CDU, trying to push for a EU foreign ministry and speak on behalf of all Europe. The EU foreign policy head is an Italian lady. Why not send her here? She can see first hand then and get a balanced view. YL is hardly likely to be balanced, but will gripe on about how unfair it all is to her, her family and her big brother, Thaksin the Innocent,

The Germans tried twice by force to rule Europe and failed. Now they try to bring about political "anschluss" with a fully federal Europe with Germany firmly in control.

Should this trip go ahead, will YL be asked to comment on and explain:

her lies as a PM/DM?

her lack of attendance to parliament, committee meetings?

her liaisons with her criminal brother?

her lack of transparency?

I doubt it. Because a lack of transparency, accountability and putting themselves above the law is something EU federalists crave. Maybe it advice on that they want to ask her and especially her brother about.

Democracy, especially the bit about accountability to the people, is dying in the EU. The EU parliament is a joke. The EU is run by bureaucrats and appointed has been politicians a la Kinnock etc.

No wonder the nationalists and anti-EU federalists are gaining more support.

Edited by Baerboxer

Despite all the problems that the EU has, it is still an extremely powerful and important organisation. The Junta have been given a real dilemma here, if they refuse to let her go they risk souring relations with the EU even further, and with millions of baht on the trade table they risk loosing such things as fish imports.
On the other hand if they do let her go she will no doubt give the EU representatives first hand knowledge about what is going on in this Country at present, after all she has plenty of experience of 'attitude adjustment' and personal vendetta through the so called Thai 'justice system'
As for the nonsense post about her not speaking English well, President Xi of China has just had a very successful tour of Britain. I'm sure David Cameron spoke to him in fluent Mandarin all the time - that's what interpreters are employed for.
Actually she speaks perfectly serviceable English but it has become the mantra among the "good people" that she does not.The slightly comical aspect is that when the "good people" made this point on social media (invariably in a vile and abusive way) their own English was deplorable as is too often the case among the "educate" Sino Thai middle class.

'I am from election' was not an appropriate answer to any of the questions I heard him ask.

Her English is perfectly adequate and on a par with most of the Sino Thai business class who have attended a third tier US university.

I would take the criticisms more seriously if they were applied across the board to all Thai PMs including some who spoke no English at all and some who do[emoji8] but don't dare face the BBC.

As for foreign critics like you unless you attended Eton like Abhisit or Winchester like Korn, there are plenty of your fellow countrymen who would look down on yours shoddy syntax (""embarrassing doesn't come close") or your common lower middle class or regional accent - so a little humility is in order.

Oh do stop being such a pompous oaf. It does nothing to add to your argument, and makes you appear one of those red brick university graduates who constantly mentions their degree.

The forum has rules against being "language police". Maybe you should read them. This is a discussion forum, where all comments are valid, even yours. Who appointed you a judge of English btw? Are you a former TEFL teacher or school master? Perhaps you are a language professor as you think you can determine the class, even down to small divisions, and regional accent from how someone writes. Your's would perhaps be a working class lad whose university education, the first in his family, leads to his insecurity and class conscious riddled responses that require constant reinforcement by adopting a superior sometimes insulting attitude to others?

Yingluck's English is appalling. This thread is about Yingluck or hadn't you noticed? She has a Master's Degree which had to be written in English so it would be reasonable to expect a higher capability. Based on her TV interviews, she has very limited ability and would be advised to use an interpreter.

A more pertinent question is why do we suddenly get the invitation, issued by 2 German veteran career politicians, who are both members of Merkel's CDU?

Don't get too worked up.Obviously I've inadvertently touched a sensitive area for you.Are you worried about your vowel sounds perhaps? Yes it is actually relatively easy - for the cognoscenti - to identify social class and education level from posts made.

I agree with you however about language police.I merely made the point that those obsessed with Yingluck's indifferent standard of English are strangely agitated when their own capabilities in that area are questioned.

I never suggested Yingluck was a brilliant English speaker merely that there was little difference between her capability and those of similar background.

sounds and looks like someone has called in a favour owed from some time back, maybe a big brother.

That is a very good question,

Maybe a favor owed, or a new promise made? (Lot of German investment in Thailand, industry, commerce and education - protecting the future?).

Maybe lobbyists being active? The court case doesn't look good. Hard to defend that charge of negligence when you never even attended the meetings you were supposed to chair! Could be interpreted to be deliberate as the corruption in the scheme was known and permitted; or to give the "I know nothing, wasn't me, never there" defense option. Getting the EU to put political pressure on the court - how democratic and justice minded, not.

Maybe the CDU are looking to do anything and everything to divert attention away from Merkel and her appalling migrant gaffe?

Maybe part of the federalists plans to try and push the central federal EU idea of collective foreign ministries?

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with supporting democracy, the legal process or justice. There are other agendas, that will probably stay hidden.

Don't get too worked up.Obviously I've inadvertently touched a sensitive area for you.Are you worried about your vowel sounds perhaps? Yes it is actually relatively easy - for the cognoscenti - to identify social class and education level from posts made.

I agree with you however about language police.I merely made the point that those obsessed with Yingluck's indifferent standard of English are strangely agitated when their own capabilities in that area are questioned.

I never suggested Yingluck was a brilliant English speaker merely that there was little difference between her capability and those of similar background.

Never worry about my vowels - the syrup of figs or som tam keep them regular.

I hope Prayuth will not give her permission to attend. That will give a further confirmation to the world that Thailand is a Gestapo state.

Currently she must ask permission from court not for Junta

Read the post immediately prior to your post. She does not have to ask permission of the court. The NCPO are deciding it.

I hope Prayuth will not give her permission to attend. That will give a further confirmation to the world that Thailand is a Gestapo state.

The ultimate decision rest with the NCPO even if the court give her the clearance. Thought you know by now who hold the power.

I do not believe in the authenticity of this 'invitation'. It's a hoax/joke.

Are junta apologists trying to outdo each other for the most facetious face saving excuse for the junta? Waiting someone to claim it was a plot and politically motivated to cause unrest.

not sure I believe any of this, we all know how PTP (and others) can twist the meaning of something to fit an agenda.

I suspect that a request was made initially to the EU for such a visit origninating here in Thailand and the EU simply granted the request, that is highly different than what is being played here

of course I could be wrong

What is Thai PBS inferring with the following sentence:

The invitation letter carried signatures of two persons, Mr Martin Schulz and Mr Klaus Welle, and neither of them is president or secretary general of the European Parliament?

Mr Martin Schulz is President of the European Parliament, and Mr Klaus Welle is its Secretary General.

I do not believe in the authenticity of this 'invitation'. It's a hoax/joke.

Are junta apologists trying to outdo each other for the most facetious face saving excuse for the junta? Waiting someone to claim it was a plot and politically motivated to cause unrest.

IF you'd read any of my posts you would have noted I am by no means whatsoever a bloody junta apologist! But I AM capable of critical thinking and do not believe the EU would go out of it's way to invite Barbie to tea and political discourse on the situation in Thailand, after all, she was barely aware of it when standing in for her 'brother' during her questionable tenure.

Some of us have minds capable of more than binary choices you know. Eric.

Exactly LOL, i also like the "they stole my democracy" sentence repeated like 10 time in that interview...

Total embarrassment that interview...

Agree, why does an invite of some 6 weeks ago, surface just now!

Would have thought EU has far more important issues on it's plate...

Yes, maybe the 'Puppeteer' is trying to organise a "Exit stage left" for her

Why does an invite of some 6 weeks ago, surface just now!

Would have thought EU has far more important issues on it's plate, that having a chat about Thailand's situation...

Maybe the 'Puppeteer' is calling in some favours & trying to organise a "Exit stage left" for her!!!!

There may be another reason, dark time in Europe atm...

They might just have invited her to explain Thai Politics and Rice Scheame so they can have a laugh for a week :)

But yes, why her

Millions of people with a brain that are much more qualified than her to give an objective view on Thailand situation and not tell EU: "they stole my democracy"....

Must be some kind of check move or a big poker bluff

Exactly LOL, i also like the "they stole my democracy" sentence repeated like 10 time in that interview...

Well said. IMHO she can thank her lucky stars she's never been strongly questioned about her version of democracy, which in reality was an attempt, with some success, to set up a dictatorship.

They might just have invited her to explain Thai Politics and Rice Scheame so they can have a laugh for a week :)

But yes, why her

Millions of people with a brain that are much more qualified than her to give an objective view on Thailand situation and not tell EU: "they stole my democracy"....

Millions are also not Elected Prime Minister toppled by a coup. Yes,it's Yingluck that the EU want and not Ahbisit or Chuan. Bet the EU has more brain to chose who they want to speak about democracy.

I can think of one person in particular that this news is going to irritate and anger. 5555 I wonder if this news article will find its way into the Thai news programs. Unlikely methinks.

It must have done, as the OP was from The Nation, it was in the other paper this morning and on PBS (see above) too.

Not too many local people read English newspapers in my experience, so it's safe to assume they won't get to know the details from that source. In fact the vast majority of locals that I know, don't read any newspapers on a regular basis at all! I was thinking more along the lines (as I said before) Thai news programs, such as channel 3 and 7 of Thai TV that local people have ready access to. Such a story with particular interest to people in the North and North East may be expected to repeat thorough out the day and evening. Perhaps with a quote / interview from the involved parties and of course a follow up disclosing the decision of when and where etc.

Iv not looked at the TV today and don't really have any plans to. It doesn't bother me that much but please feel free to check and report back to us all.

They might just have invited her to explain Thai Politics and Rice Scheame so they can have a laugh for a week smile.png

But yes, why her

Millions are also not Elected Prime Minister toppled by a coup. Yes,it's Yingluck that the EU want and not Ahbisit or Chuan. Bet the EU has more brain to chose who they want to speak about democracy.

Somehow I doubt the EC parliament will be impressed with a "Democracy died this day" in reaction to being held to her own words of being in charge, responsibility and accountability.

Wrong they are the same. The court will not give permission if the junta say no.

Wrong, they are not the same. A court will decide, but the NCPO can override a decision.

They might just have invited her to explain Thai Politics and Rice Scheame so they can have a laugh for a week smile.png

But yes, why her

The brain I was referring about was Yingluck versus other candidates, and no I didn't mention politicians, maybe academics or lecturers...

Inviting Yingluck to speak about democracy? Doesn't qualify as a well thought decision imho...

Maybe they could invite her to speak about OTOP shops and shopping, not democracy cheesy.gif

Posts in violation of certain aspects of the NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS have been removed:

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.
Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.
Remember this part as well:
Posters violating these rules, and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

have to wonder why they would invite someone than cannot even speak english let alone construct a sentence without someone else writing it for her, bet there is no question and answer time as that would really show how pathetic she is. .

Pathetic or not, poor orator or not, she was elected and then deposed. As for trouble, Thailand is responsible for its own problems. It was pretty pathetic to deport UN refugees.

Elected by her brother.

Well said. IMHO she can thank her lucky stars she's never been strongly questioned about her version of democracy, which in reality was an attempt, with some success, to set up a dictatorship.

the whole agenda was first - to get elected by any means and - second - to secure an amnesty for Kun Thaksin, the whole 2 years of lies cheating and deceit with one goal, I would have thought it was very obvious to most but not all - some people really only see trees when the wood is obvious

if she actually does make it to the EU I hope they televise any interview on live TV, that would make for some funny television right there

Edited by smedly

"Seems they are simply trying to cause more problems for Thailand with this crap, maybe they are trying to deflect all the sh*t they have caused with their immigration stunt with all the muslims that has backfired spectacularly on them. So far all europe has done is show the world how not to run a nation/continent successfully"

Well spoken frangipani man. I am sure this is very close to the truth

Also consider that 45,000 EU ants are cut off from one of their HQs, so no more visiting for 'very important' meetings, collecting of allowances and tax free car fuel. Also weather is getting bad and war-mongering in Ukraine turns out to be less fun due to Zar Vladimir's resoluteness. Therefore what better way to spend the winter than turning one's attention to Asia. Perhaps a few trips to Bangkok even?!

Makes one wonder what the resident ambassadors of countries like UK, Germany, France have to say to this diplomatic master piece.

The EU got it wrong in a big way and might very soon be eating shrimp from Lousiana instead.

Bonvoyage YL

Backfired in what way? It seems to me it is mission accomplished unless you are also brainwashed into thinking immigration and asylum seeking is some kind of humanitarian act bestowed on the less fortunate. Why don't people wake up to the real reasons we have 25,000 going to Canada, 20,000 going to the UK, 500,000 to Germany. Did you ever consider that accepting these people is simply helping oneself to a piece of the human resources pie. Would you please spare a thought for Syria, what happens to this country after all its doctors, academic, students, labour force have been systematically raped from under their feet. Who will take care of the old and the weak? Who will rebuild the infrastructure? Well the answer is no one. The country will need to invest on a biblical scale just to keep the country sanitized. It is the biggest smoke screen in history. More people will suffer in Syria after this conflict than during it. The standards of living and forced poverty will be off the scale. Immigration is the most heinous crime in history and it keeps billions of people under the poverty line worldwide than any war. The economic machine is ferocious, i can safely say Europe is a long way behind the likes of India and China who have access to over one billion souls at it disposal.