If personally applying for visa in Aust. is Canberra or Sydney quickest?

Because of time constraints I need to personnaly fly interstate to either ACT or NSW to get my 6 month METV and not risk the 4-5 week turnaround time that is hightlighted in their websites.

So which one is currently issuing personnaly presented applications the quickest?

Any recent experience appreciated.

(I fly out 14 Dec 2015 and their website/s say 4-5 weeks for mailed apps. in bold and yellow background)

Perhaps the embassy website has been changed. I assume you don't need the form B for your application. http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

"

• Apply by Mail

The minimum visa processing time for the submission by mail is the same as applying in person for both FORM A (3 Working Days) and FORM B (21 Working Days) excluding mailing time. When submitting an application by mail, please provide SELF ADDRESS EXPRESS ENVELOPE for returning your passport and use a tracking number to check the status of your delivery.

Sydney says 2 weeks for form A for mail in and 3 days in person. http://thaiconsulatesydney.org/Home/visa

You might find that one of the honorary consulates in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide or Hobart would be faster and easier.

Don't have any experience with a METV but Sydney has always been 3 day a turnaround in person (apply Monday morning pickup Wednesday afternoon) for a Double Entry Tourist VIsa & for ED visas in the past. Super quick meaning no lines to wait for so you're in & out for the drop-off & pick-up in less than 5 mins each time.

Let us know your experience with the METV in Sydney if you go there.

Edited by bbi1

Sydney has always been 3 day a turnaround in person.

OK thanks and will keep you up to date.

I was hoping either Sydney or Canberra or elsewhere would be quicker due to accom. costs considerations.

I know the website says 3 days min. but really, it's such a cover-our-butts-generalization, and does not take into account seasonal variations that it is useless. So I'm hoping for some hands on experience.

("gee boss" says a staff member, "we get $225 for a 6 monther and also non-imm B, so let's get some temp staff to pump thru more business". "no no" says boss "I have a headache and besides what's in it for us, wink wink nudge nudge!". "ah I see" says staff member.)

I have already described my experience of the Embassy in Canberra in another thread. I won't go into it here again, just that I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

If I were in your shoes, I would take the gentle hint from Ubonjoe and go to one of the honorary consulates in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide or Hobart.

Sydney has always been 3 day a turnaround in person.

OK thanks and will keep you up to date.

I was hoping either Sydney or Canberra or elsewhere would be quicker due to accom. costs considerations.

I know the website says 3 days min. but really, it's such a cover-our-butts-generalization, and does not take into account seasonal variations that it is useless. So I'm hoping for some hands on experience.

("gee boss" says a staff member, "we get $225 for a 6 monther and also non-imm B, so let's get some temp staff to pump thru more business". "no no" says boss "I have a headache and besides what's in it for us, wink wink nudge nudge!". "ah I see" says staff member.)

There is no such minimums in Sydney. It's always a 2 working day turnaround after the application day (apply Monday morning pickup Wednesday afternoon). Just make sure there's no Thai public holidays or weekends then you will just need a 2 night hotel accommodation.

• 2 weeks later...

REPORTING BACK on getting my 6 Month Multiple Entry Visa in SYDNEY.

1. Experience was 100% great. Dropped off docs Mon morning and picked up Wed arvo. No queues.
  2. Sydney does not require proof of 1st. and 2nd. flights in/out Thailand. Canberra does. See FORM A on both sites.
  3. Working in Thailand.
    Background
    : The definition of 'work' in Thai law is very broad and includes sitting in front of your computer in Thailand and doing work on your work's server that is located in wherever while you are employed by a non-Thai company. No doubt this law was bought in before such technology. (search Thaivisa.com for many posts)
    Possible good news: Near the bottom of my visa under Remarks it says "Employment Prohibited".
    I take this to mean that as long as I am not employed by a Thai company then I can work as per Background above.
    Sure if they want to get nasty...but that will not ever happen unless one is doing something seriously stupid and/or illegal.
Edited by ThomasAJ

REPORTING BACK on getting my 6 Month Multiple Entry Visa in SYDNEY.

1. Experience was 100% great. Dropped off docs Mon morning and picked up Wed arvo. No queues.
  2. Sydney does not require proof of 1st. and 2nd. flights in/out Thailand. Canberra does. See FORM A on both sites.

Thanks so much for reporting back. I am guessing you are, in fact, an Austrailian citizen?

Australia is of interest to many non-Australians, who may be able to use their service for an METV. Their docs state that an "Austrailian Electronic Visa" can be used for those w/o Australian passports. And when I enter "United States" in their consulates' online form, I still see the METV as an available option.

As to the differing Form A for each consulate - I some significant differences, one of which you referenced:

Canberra requires: 1. Bank Statement - AUS $8000 - existant for 6 months at that balance; 2. Air-Ticket and/or Itenerary.

Sydney does not list those requirements, but does require "proof of residential address" (even for Australian citizens, apparently).

It would be easier for us non-Austrailian citizens, whose home-countries are far, far away, to simply purchase air-tickets and show funds, to qualify. That is assuming the type of "Austrailian Electronic Visa" we get upon entry, is deemed acceptable. As yet, this is untested.

1. <snip >

Background

: The definition of 'work' in Thai law is very broad and includes sitting in front of your computer in Thailand and doing work on your work's server that is located in wherever while you are employed by a non-Thai company. No doubt this law was bought in before such technology. (search Thaivisa.com for many posts)

Possible good news: Near the bottom of my visa under Remarks it says "Employment Prohibited".

I take this to mean that as long as I am not employed by a Thai company then I can work as per Background above.

Sure if they want to get nasty...but that will not ever happen unless one is doing something seriously stupid and/or illegal.

Re the above: No doubt this law was bought in before such technology the current Alien Labor Act was enacted in 2008.

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0366.pdf