Where to get Thai tourist visa in Vietnam?

My situation: German passport, have been traveling in Thailand for two years on single or multiple entry tourist visas (from Vientiane, Berlin, Penang, Berlin).

Have flight to Phnom Penh on 03.01.2016. With Thu Jan07 2016 Victory over Genocide Day and weekend, it would take over 5 days to get visa in PP, and there is not that much to do in PP (have been before for some days). Hence I plan to go to Vietnam (here again weekend will delay visa) over land (any scams at the border?) to take advantage of their visa free entry.

Where in Vietnam is best to get a tourist visa for Thailand?

Ho Chi Minh consulate http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/33685-Tourist-Visa.html

and Hanoi embassy http://www.thaiembassy.org/hanoi/th/services/1761/25691-Tourist-Visa.html

have the same requirements. Any personal experience?

There is no information how long it takes to issue a visa, and there are no links to the particular embassy's visa formular.

Any alternative suggestions? Cross from Vietnam by land to Lao and get visa in Vientiane or Sawannakhet? (In that case I would not have proof of leaving Vietnam in form of flight ticket, however Vietnam embassy Berlin does not say proof of leaving V is required for visa free entry.)

Or do not take the flight to PP (cost was 2407 THB, booked as proof of leaving Thailand, was required at Thai embassy Berlin) and go somewhere else? Visa for Cambodia alone would cost 25 USD, for that I can almost get a flight to elsewhere in the region.

(Speaking and reading Thai at intermediate level and having traveled Thailand extensively, these visa runs are a nuisance and I want to get back to Thailand as quickly as possible where I can communicate in Thai, know the transport system and the food.)

Edited by ChristianPFC

I can confirm that HCMC is fine. They want flight confirmations for both entering and leaving Thailand. I think, as an alternative, they will accept a bank statement showing funds (showing cash not good enough: they need something for their files). Not many people, so quick.. Apply in the morning, passport back with visa following afternoon.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I can pick up visa form at the embassy.

Interesting point about proof of funds other than cash, and here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/830367-got-double-entry-tourist-visa-in-hanoi/#entry9480376 it says

No problems except they wanted money in USD, not Thai Baht or VN Kip (Hanoi)

Will take Euro and my Thai bank book with > 20,000 on last statement, and ask friends from USA if then can lend me USD (leaving EUR as deposit and change back after return to avoid losses by changing money).

Talked about this with a friend, he knows someone who had visa over night at HCMC. Furthermore he thinks long processing times at PP are to get some extra money by getting people to use agents for faster processing.

Glad this is sorted!

Edited by ChristianPFC

• 4 weeks later...

Bump this up again.

Any first hand experience in which form proof of funding is required in Saigon or Hanoi?

I don't want to carry 500 Euro, 500 USD and 20,000 THB with me to be on the safe side, plus my Thai bank book and print of German bank account with > 5000 Euro. Print screen or better take latest statement (that will be Dec 31) with me. A friend told me he was in Kuala Lumpur and they wanted a statement from his bank in Europe, which would have taken too long, he went to Penang instead.

Edited by ChristianPFC

I got a tourist visa in HCMC a while ago.

There is no one there, and will be a very quick process.

I showed RT airfare, but i have heard from other people that you may only need to show a flight INTO Thailand and that's sufficient.

I picked mine up the next day.

They only take USD, not Vietnamese Dong or Baht. I think it was $30.

I did this year SETV in Saigon and DETV in Hanoi, both without problems, no need to show money, they satisfied with flight tickets in and out of Thailand. Fee was 40US for SETV. Very easy done, not to many people, visa pick up the next day afternoon.

whistling.gif I see that this is an old outdated topic .... but I remind all posters that since November 13, 2015 you will NOT be getting a double or triple entry Thai tourist visa anywhere unless you are a national or a certified resident of that country.

That includes Vietnam or Malaysia as well as Thailand.

Single tourist visas ONLY., unless you get a METV in your own country.

The rules have been changed since November 13, 2015.

Note: Corrected the date due to Typo.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 4 weeks later...

Visa at Thai consul in Saigon

Application for Single Entry Tourist Visa at Thai Consul Saigon

My background: German 35 y.o., had a job in Thailand in 2013 and have been living on my savings on tourist visas 2014-15 and traveling extensively all over Thailand (can read and write Thai).

Wed 06.01.2016

Arrive at Thai consul 10:06. At the counter a note is posted: fee is 40 USD, and only USD are accepted as payment; there is no copy or printing service. And a long note about visa abuse for illegal working. I hand in my documents (passport, application form, flight bookings in and out of Thailand) and rejoice that I’m not asked for proof of funding.

But then I am called back to the counter to provide proof of funding. “You have been in Thailand for a year.” (Actually 3 years, 2 of which on tourist visas, but she can see for herself in my pp.) I pull out a total of 1,200 EUR in cash, but she doesn’t even look at it (I have about 15,000 THB and 300 USD as well). I give her my bank book (with 37,000 THB last statement begin of December, I withdrew 10,000 since then but didn’t have time to update it). She disappears with the bank book and about 15 minutes later calls me again to the counter.

Do you have hotel booking? I don’t have hotel booking (all my trips are spontaneous, walk-in), but I have last year’s rent contract (Jan-Dec 2015). Last year does not count, I have to provide a current rent contract! (Procrastination: I could have gotten one mid-December, but not over Christmas – I was travelling – or New Year – everywhere closed).

They return all documents and application fee and I leave 11:07. About 15 others were there during this time. Some had issues with documents, a White called his wife or girlfriend to provide documentation about their son, a Black has or had a work visa but needed additional documents.

Return to hotel (for WiFi), contact my landlord on Line to set up a new rent contract, send it as email attachment and print it out.

Back at the consulate 14:20-27, they accept printout of front page (my landlord sent just front page, with all necessary information, 2nd and 3rd page are the same as in old contract).

Thu 07.01.2016

Get my passport with visa back 13:45 (no waiting time).

Ask her which additional documents I should bring next time (I have already flight booked to Saigon), she replies “You should not come back here”. I suggest bringing hotel receipts, bus and train tickets, national park and museum entrance tickets and selfies of me in front of tourist attractions from upcoming travels Jan-Feb-Mar, but she doesn’t get into discussion: “I told you already, you should not come back here.” Ultimately it’s the consul’s decision, she tells me.

I have nothing to hide, I really travel and can provide details as far as I remember, and name and locate a wide range of tourist attractions. (When I go to TAT offices in the provinces, I ask them questions whose answers I already know to assess how well they know their job.)

With flight already booked, I will try again in Saigon and bring everything I have (e.g. last year’s statements from withdrawing money from ATM from my bank in Germany), and hope they issue me one more, especially as I will fly back to Germany after that. If Saigon fails, I can go to Thai Embassy in Hanoi, or Phnom Penh (combine with visit friend who lives there), or Lao.

Sidenote: bus Phnom Penh to Saigon without problem, 6 hours driving and 1 hour at immigration, now visa exempt entry.

Copyright 2016 ChristianPFC

Edited by ChristianPFC

I can only take what you post on face value. It certainly has not been my experience or of those I have assisted.

Your experience is more recent so I will stand corrected.

Here is my experience with setv from hcmc.

Application form.

Fee

Flight INTO thailand. ONLY. Must be print out.

This is what is not required.

Proof of funds. Mind you always handy to have.

Accommodation address. Mind you make this up.

I will not continue. Think previous post asked for lease? LUDICROUS

Edited by jacksam

• 1 month later...

Think previous post asked for lease? LUDICROUS

That's not what I said. I had no hotel reservation, so I gave then last year's rent contract instead (which extends simply by paying my rent, without need for new contract). However last year's rent contract was not accepted, so I go new rent contract (over lunch break, via Line) to submit.

Tourist visa at Thai consul Saigon 10.-11.03.2016

"You should not come back here", I take that as a challenge, not a warning. Anyway, I had a flight to Saigon booked already, so I had to go to Thai Consul in Saigon again.

This time better prepared: bankbook (and 20,000 THB in cash should they ask to see cash, or deny me a visa and I have to enter on visa exempt), rent contract, one hotel booking and an itineraray with all my trips in Jan-Feb (with bus or train tickets, hotel receipt, national park entrance tickets as proof, and a collection of selfies at various places I visited on my phone) and upcoming trips Mar-May (supported by one hotel booking).

Hand in application form, rent contract, hotel booking, flights into and out of Thailand. After taking it to the back room, front desk staff comes back and tells me if I have a guarantor in Thailand, the consul will issue one more visa. Enquire what exactly they want: letter of guarantee, copy of ID card and copy of housebook. She gives my documents back (but keeps the 40 USD application fee, I don't even get a receipt). I ask if I will get visa tomorrow if I submit complete documents this afternoon: yes.

(Website says processing two days, which could mean you get it back the third day. But I don't have a third day stay in Saigon!)

Here it occurs to me that taking the documents to the back room is already the consul, hence it would be pointless to ask to see a superior or have an appointment with the consul; or pointless ask if itinerary is accepted instead of guarantor.

Return to my hotel for WiFi and their desktop computer for guests. Message 3 Thai friends on Line, of which one can provide copy of ID immediately and copy of house book within one hour. I wrote a letter of guarantee myself and sent it to my friend, who put it down in handwriting. Took me a total of 2 h 30 min from first contact to having everything printed out [1]. Submit in the afternoon, pick up passport with visa the following afternoon. Handwritten note in Thai on the visa sticker "Guarantor name of my friend".

There were not many other customers, about 10 in the course of one hour [2]. One didn't have printout of flight into or out of Thailand, showing the document on mobile phone was not accepted, had to go somewhere to print it out.

Other random visa information (not pertaining to Saigon):

One friend said Thai embassy in New York offered him or a friend retirement visa under the age of 50, clearly a misunderstanding or misinformation?

Another friend said staff in Chaeng Wattana compared passport pictures from current application with pictures from a year ago, found them to be the same, and insisted he get recent passport pictures (easily done, there are shops in the basement).

[1]Cannot print directly from desktop for customers, copy on USB and print from receptionist's computer. However he has to process guests in between, and then the printer ran out of paper, and then there was a paper jam, so after half an hour and printing 3 pages he sent me to nearby copy shop. There two misprints, then everything fine although excrutiatingly slow (color ink jet felt like 5 minutes per page, at home I have a laser printer b/w 5 seconds per page). Thus, it took me one hour to print 6 pages.

[2]Let's say Saigon processes 30 applications per day, Vientiane 300. If every visa runner spends 200 Euro during his stay in Lao, that's 16 million Euro per year for Lao economy, just because their Thai embassy is easy. And the same for Savannakhet.

Copyright 2016 ChristianPFC

Edited by ChristianPFC

With regards "onward travel". It would seem now that hcmc consulate requires to see flight ticket INTO and also OUT of Thailand. This is also the case in Bali. I have a question, that is sometimes asked of me from friends etc. (I answer not sure)

Does the outbound flight need to be say within 60 days for a setv. I always thought yes, but recently in another thread a member stated he provided an onward flight base on fact he could extend the visa. So in his case outbound bit less than 90 days from inbound flight.

Any advice?

Thank you for your very informative posts. I had less trouble, but did get the impression that they were steadily becoming more difficult.

As did Bali who finally became fed up with the scammers !

Poor choice of words. Even people who work illegally in Thailand and fulfill the requirements for tourist visa will usually get one.

The illegal working is a completely different story, but that's more difficult to tackle.

Because the authorities are too lazy to go out in Thailand to find those who work illegally, they suspect everyone who has been in Thailand for a while (in my case two years, traveling 35 provinces so far) of illegal working and create difficulties when you apply for a visa, which is easier because then I come to them.

Edited by ChristianPFC

• 3 months later...