Dual pricing - Anti Rant

Daffy D

I used to be a regular visitor to Ko Samet national park. There foreigners pay, I believe, 10 times what Thais pay

It was always best to avoid weekends, but sometimes that was not possible. It was packed at weekends.

Come Monday morning the amount of rubbish everywhere was more than an eyesore. It was Thai rubbish. Foreigners always disposed of their rubbish corrctly

Why then should foreigners pay for Thais mess?.

On Koh Samet, foreigners pay 5 times what Thais pay.

I've explained the logic behind differential pricing on so many of these threads. You can't educate some people it seems.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If 200 baht, or $5 usd is going to break you...you should probably stay home and think about why you are so poor, and living in a foreign country!

Nobody has said 200 baht was going to break them. That's is not a rational standard to judge every expense.

People hate the policy because it's RACIST because your race determines the price you pay. It is especially indefensible now that showing a work permit or Thai driver's license doesn't work.

I don't have the right to be racist to people in California just because they're not from California. That is <deleted> crazy and so are you.

>deleted< Many countries have different prices for locals than for tourists. Some villages in Switzerland can only be reached by funicular in winter so locals hope to keep their weekly travel costs down by charging tourists more. Some travel reductions in Switzerland are only available to people with a home address in Switzerland. That's what I know about, I'm sure that other countries do the same. Racist? I think you misspelt realistic.

You do have a point Mr OP, but it is a bit much for us to be paying three or four times as much as a Thai.

IMO. I would not complain about double the price as Thais for entrance to the parks, but a lot of us Farangs are buying houses and land in

which has to be in our wifes names, is that fair would you say?

I would agree that the Thais are right not to allow Farangs to buy up property and land because some of us are capitalists and would want to

make a lot of money out of it at the expense of the Thais.

But a Farang should be allowed to buy a modest three or four bedroom house, and about three or four rye of land in his own name for his Thai wife and family.

Sorry for going a little off topic here, but in the circumstances, I think you will understand.

Most farangs living in Thailand that I know pay no taxes to support the Thai government at all.

Everyone I know pays VAT in Thailand.

(no matter what colour their skin, or their nationality)

Not everyone. Tourists, who are 100% Farang, are allowed to get a refund on the VAT they pay for many of the purchases they make it Thailand.

Edited by gjoo888

If 200 baht, or $5 usd is going to break you...you should probably stay home and think about why you are so poor, and living in a foreign country!

Nobody has said 200 baht was going to break them. That's is not a rational standard to judge every expense.

People hate the policy because it's RACIST because your race determines the price you pay. It is especially indefensible now that showing a work permit or Thai driver's license doesn't work.

I don't have the right to be racist to people in California just because they're not from California. That is <deleted> crazy and so are you.

California. Lessee. As a senior citizen, I have a lifetime pass to get into your beautiful Yosemite National Park (and any other US national park) for free. You, because you are discriminated against due to age, will pay $25 per carload every time you visit. Or, you can buy an annual pass.

In Anaheim California where Disneyland is, the locals can get a cheap annual pass to Disneyland. That's Disney's way of saying "thank you" for the infrastructure that surrounds the park. The locals pay the taxes that build the roads and other necessities that even make Disneyland possible. There's your dual pricing in your California.

I could give you a lot more examples of dual pricing in the US. I hope your mind isn't made up to reject the notion that the Thais own these Thai parks, can charge whatever they choose, and you can choose whether to go.

Cheers.

Which of your situations gives a discount based on race?

DELETED

As for pricing,

In Thailand Thais are allowed to earn money, and I'm not.

So they should pay more than me, cos I can't top up my earnings whenever I feel like it.

"In Thailand Thais are allowed to earn money, and I'm not".

I think the Thais are right not to allow Farangs to work at a job if the Thais can do it.

If the UK did the same thing then there would not be so much people on benefits.

>deleted< Many countries have different prices for locals than for tourists. Some villages in Switzerland can only be reached by funicular in winter so locals hope to keep their weekly travel costs down by charging tourists more. Some travel reductions in Switzerland are only available to people with a home address in Switzerland. That's what I know about, I'm sure that other countries do the same. Racist? I think you misspelt realistic.

No, in most countries the reduced rate for things are usually only for locals, living in the area. Citizens from outside the area are usually charged the full price.

No one really objects to paying more it is the amount that is the "more" that prople dnt like. If Thai paid Bht50 and non-Thai paid Bht80 no one would complain but when it is a factor of 10x people will complain and in my opinion justfiably. If I want to visit a place with an entry fee I will pay it but it still gives me a little bit of annoyance when a Thai drives up in his BMW and pays a lot less than me.

I used to be a regular visitor to Ko Samet national park. There foreigners pay, I believe, 10 times what Thais pay

It was always best to avoid weekends, but sometimes that was not possible. It was packed at weekends.

Come Monday morning the amount of rubbish everywhere was more than an eyesore. It was Thai rubbish. Foreigners always disposed of their rubbish corrctly

I've explained the logic behind differential pricing on so many of these threads. You can't educate some people it seems.

They dont get it because it is illogical.

Take Ko Samet or the Erewan NP near Kanchanaburi. Both are liked largely by the backpacking foreigners, who eke out an existance during the gap year from Uni, whilst for the Thai farming community, and factory workers, they are rather inaccesible, and are frequented by well of Thais leaving their Benzs BMWs etc in the car parks. and paying next to nothing to enter.

Logical? I dont think so.

I remember going to MBK with my wife; who needed( wanted) a new handbag. She went shopping at all the small shops, while I went for a coffee.

When she decided which one she wanted and had bargined for the best price, she called me to pay.

After paying and while we were leaving the store owner asked( In Thai Language) her why she had bargined down the price if the Farang was

going to pay. Adding the Thai people need to stand together. The shop owner was really angry !

OMG - how many times does this topic surface every year?

The OP completely misses the fundamental principle of discrimination, on two separate counts.

1. Nationality - and this is the most important one.

2. Ability to pay.

Lets first also note the dual pricing is not a difference of a "few Baht" - it is a 10 times price hike.

It is simply unacceptable to have a price difference based purely on nationality - full stop.

The dual pricing is usually, although not always, applied on the basis of a visual recognition or assumption of the "Falang" being relatively well off, and a viable target, independent of any facts, fairness, principles etc.

There is a debate to be had over dual pricing for tourists versus residents, based on tax subsidies, however tourists bring in much higher valued foreign currency which is "new money" and not just money already in the system, circulating around. Now this is a debate worth having, although still gets tedious after the 53rd time of reading it!

I have never seen or heard of any such venues that officially advertise variable pricing based on ability to pay, as this cannot be checked at the point of ticket purchase. A loosely connected indicator might be, for example, the case of OAPs having reduced rates or free, but then OAPs have a huge range of ability to pay as well, so that's not a clear 1-1 mapping criteria linked to ability to pay.

In addition, ability to pay reflects the tax you already pay if you are a resident, or the hard cash you might spend on extras in the venue or outside in the nation's wider economy. Plus going to such venue is optional, and not a necessity for survival. There is no accepted principle of scaling charges/costs against everyone's ability to pay. We all pay the same for a litre of fuel, ... you name it... we pay the same for it, as the default position.

The well off, be it Falang, Thai, or ET, can always make a donation.

The bottom line is, as usual in LoS, the policy is not well thought out, not justified, not consistently implemented.

I have given an alternative elsewhere, but just too tedious to write it again.

You enjoy getting over charged ??????? Your joking right? Otherwise you are part of the problem.

I like when I go to a restaurant and order the same food as another table and get charged double what they are charged. Because I am rich and I love Thai people and it's always good to be complimented and to be thought of as upper class and to be respected.

My biggest complaint is that chain restaurants do not have a dual pricing system. I almost had a heartache at KFC when they insisted I pay the same prices as the rest of the customers.

Most of us can afford to pay the extra. I believe if you are willing to work for what Thais earn, then you should get Thai pricing. My beef is that it sets the precedent for the population that it is perfectly okay to charge far more to foreigners than locals. Role model thing ya know.

DELETED

As for pricing,

So they should pay more than me, cos I can't top up my earnings whenever I feel like it.

I think the Thais are right not to allow Farangs to work at a job if the Thais can do it.

If the UK did the same thing then there would not be so much people on benefits.

You're assuming the unemployed in the UK want to work.

The shop would be on my list of places to never return. Too bad you could not give us the name and location to boycott the weasel.

I remember going to MBK with my wife; who needed( wanted) a new handbag. She went shopping at all the small shops, while I went for a coffee.

When she decided which one she wanted and had bargined for the best price, she called me to pay.

After paying and while we were leaving the store owner asked( In Thai Language) her why she had bargined down the price if the Farang was

going to pay. Adding the Thai people need to stand together. The shop owner was really angry !

DELETED

As for pricing,

You're assuming the unemployed in the UK want to work.

A lot of them don't because they are better off not working, but there are also those who work all

their adult lives for low pay and never claim benefits.

I don't mind paying extra to enter a National Park as they have obvious overheads,but a few weeks back my sister was visiting from the UK and wanted to visit the

last floating market in Hua hin .We parked up and entered as usual and started to walk around and were chased by a Thai girl saying 250 baht for Farang Thai free.I told my wife and sister that we should go back to the car and never to return.

After the crazy rental fees they ask for from the stall holder I would have thought that entrance for all would be free, after all we were only going shopping.

I live and work in Thailand. I have Thai issued ID and can speak Thai so I have paid Thai prices about 95% of the time. Because I work in Thailand and make 1/3 the wage I would make in a Western country, I have no problem with tourists who are dropping big money to come here paying extra for access, if it keeps the prices for locals low.

"being charged a few Baht more than locals"

Tenfold of that pricing... is not a few baht more...

What about the normal farang, living and working in Thailand, earning normal wages... ?

I am not on a holliday here... i support my family...

Many Thai visitors are earning more then the average tourist...

my father in law, turned away from the ticket booth and he was angry that i should pay more then him... so we all left after a few Thai words from my family towards the lady in the booth...

Most Thai people who work for a living pay taxes that financially support the government provided services, like maintainance of parks and other attractions

Most farangs living in Thailand that I know pay no taxes to support the Thai government at all.

Is it really discrimination to be expected to pay for the services you use?

I know many farangs are here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of Thailand and the lower cost of living in Thailannd...but please, be reasonable!

seriously, some farangs have really earned the nick name " Cheap Charlie"!

Actually all tourists and ex-pats pay taxes on the booze, cigarettes, gasoline and everything else

they buy. I spend about a million baht a year here helping drive the Thai economy. Some spend

less, most spend a lot more than me. We don't get any of the benefits from the Thai government

for the taxes we contribute, but that is fine. The Thai government makes it difficult with 90 day

reports, border runs and the like that could be made drastically simpler, but that is just not the

way they do things here. The funny thing is on my last trip I was just in transit through Thailand on

my way to visit a buddy in the Philippines. I did have to clear customs in Thailand and re-check my

bags. When I was at immigration and they asked what the length of my stay was going to be and I

told them 3 hours as I was in transit to the Philippines. The response I got was quite amusing. The

hard sell that I should stay in Thailand, there were many beautiful women here looking for

boyfriends and husbands. I would have a much, much better time here that the Philippines. The

guy even called another immigration officer over. They both talked for about 3-4 minutes. I did tell

them not to worry I was just visiting a friend and I would be back. And I am. The only time a Thai

official has made me feel wanted. Now when I walk down LK Metro or the beer bars on Soi 7-8 I

always feel wanted and welcome, (often even hansum) Besides, from reading various articles

much of the gate receipts of National Parks are siphoned off by those in charge, so I say NO to

two entrance pricing to Thailand's parks . bah.gif

Edited by Ulic

Most Thai people who work for a living pay taxes that financially support the government provided services, like maintainance of parks and other attractions

I know many farangs are here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of Thailand and the lower cost of living in Thailannd...but please, be reasonable!

Actually all tourists and ex-pats pay taxes on the booze, cigarettes, gasoline and everything else

they buy. I spend about a million baht a year here helping drive the Thai economy. Some spend

less, most spend a lot more than me. We don't get any of the benefits from the Thai government

for the taxes we contribute, but that is fine. The Thai government makes it difficult with 90 day

reports, border runs and the like that could be made drastically simpler, but that is just not the

way they do things here. The funny thing is on my last trip I was just in transit through Thailand on

my way to visit a buddy in the Philippines. I did have to clear customs in Thailand and re-check my

bags. When I was at immigration and they asked what the length of my stay was going to be and I

told them 3 hours as I was in transit to the Philippines. The response I got was quite amusing. The

hard sell that I should stay in Thailand, there were many beautiful women here looking for

boyfriends and husbands. I would have a much, much better time here that the Philippines. The

guy even called another immigration officer over. They both talked for about 3-4 minutes. I did tell

them not to worry I was just visiting a friend and I would be back. And I am. The only time a Thai

official has made me feel wanted. Now when I walk down LK Metro or the beer bars on Soi 7-8 I

always feel wanted and welcome, (often even hansum) Besides, from reading various articles

much of the gate receipts of National Parks are siphoned off by those in charge, so I say NO to

1 million Baht a year? I think you have that wrong. I spend over 2 million Baht a year with school fees cars etc

They dont get it because it is illogical.

Take Ko Samet or the Erewan NP near Kanchanaburi. Both are liked largely by the backpacking foreigners, who eke out an existance during the gap year from Uni, whilst for the Thai farming community, and factory workers, they are rather inaccesible, and are frequented by well of Thais leaving their Benzs BMWs etc in the car parks. and paying next to nothing to enter.

Logical? I dont think so.

You're missing the point. It's not about tailoring the price to each individual customer. Plenty of wealthy pensioners and students get discounts in other counties, too.

If this is a racist country why live here? BTW, I've seen this type of pricing in other countries. Not just Thailand...

1 million Baht a year? I think you have that wrong. I spend over 2 million Baht a year with school fees cars etc

Yeah, that's why he said some spend less but many spend a lot more.

California. Lessee. As a senior citizen, I have a lifetime pass to get into your beautiful Yosemite National Park (and any other US national park) for free. You, because you are discriminated against due to age, will pay $25 per carload every time you visit. Or, you can buy an annual pass.

In Anaheim California where Disneyland is, the locals can get a cheap annual pass to Disneyland. That's Disney's way of saying "thank you" for the infrastructure that surrounds the park. The locals pay the taxes that build the roads and other necessities that even make Disneyland possible. There's your dual pricing in your California.

I could give you a lot more examples of dual pricing in the US. I hope your mind isn't made up to reject the notion that the Thais own these Thai parks, can charge whatever they choose, and you can choose whether to go.

Cheers.

I pay taxes in Thailand and thus should pay the same as Thai's do, for the rest of the farangs that stay here and don't pay taxes here I believe it's not unfair to expect them to pay more. I do realise farangs that don't pay tax here do pay VAT. Lets assume the average farang that stays here on retirement spend B 100 k per month they pay maximum B 7000 in VAT which = $ 200 pm. For that he have access to the countries infrastructure (some even use public hospitals).

Thais have no concept of what racism is or discrimination is. However, I have no intention of paying anything more than a Thai would pay. I do not raise my voice- I politely tell them I am a resident of Thailand and unless I get the same price as a Thai citizen, I will leave. The policy is set by someone in authority and is simply a gimmick to get more money out of those who do not understand the system. Forty years ago, I may have bought into the idea that Thais were so poor that they had to get someone else to pay for parks and other attractions. That is not the case now. The World has advanced through the years but unfortunately the logic of certain Thai people in authority has not advanced. There are so many things in Thailand that are discriminatory it boggles the mind. While I accept this is part of the Thai system- I simply don't pay it and no amount of well meaning logic will convince me that I should.