Dual pricing - Anti Rant

Daffy D

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess most westerners living in Thailand annually spend more than that on VAT-liable items so we pay our way tax-wise.

It really is discrimination when we're expected to pay VAT which supports NP maintenance yet not have that financial support recognised when we want to visit.

What does paying taxes have to do with it?

A nation's tourism (just like hotels and airlines and restaurants) is run for the benefit of the country's shareholders, which means Thai citizens. No matter how many nights you stay at the Hilton, or flights you take on Qantas, or meals you eat at Hooters, you're not entitled to the shareholder discount unless you're a shareholder. No matter how much you pay in taxes, you're still not entitled to the shareholder discount enjoyed by Thai citizens.

They're perfectly justified in giving favorable treatment to their citizens. (Also makes perfect business sense) You want the Thai local discount, get a Thai passport. If they still insist on charging you double, then it's unfair discrimination.

On an aside, I can't believe some enterprising group in Thailand doesn't sell some kind of VIP card that entitles foreigners to the Thai price at any and all attractions- public and private.

Edited by impulse

I'd guess most westerners living in Thailand annually spend more than that on VAT-liable items so we pay our way tax-wise.

It really is discrimination when we're expected to pay VAT which supports NP maintenance yet not have that financial support recognised when we want to visit.

A nation's tourism (just like hotels and airlines and restaurants) is run for the benefit of the country's shareholders, which means Thai citizens. No matter how many nights you stay at the Hilton, or flights you take on Qantas, or meals you eat at Hooters, you're not entitled to the shareholder discount unless you're a shareholder. No matter how much you pay in taxes, you're still not entitled to the shareholder discount enjoyed by Thai citizens.

They're perfectly justified in giving favorable treatment to their citizens. (Also makes perfect business sense) You want the Thai local discount, get a Thai passport. If they still insist on charging you double, then it's unfair discrimination.

On an aside, I can't believe some enterprising group in Thailand doesn't sell some kind of VIP card that entitles foreigners to the Thai price at any and all attractions- public and private.

They have mate its called a yellow house book.

They have mate its called a yellow house book

Most Thai people who work for a living pay taxes that financially support the government provided services, like maintainance of parks and other attractions

Most farangs living in Thailand that I know pay no taxes to support the Thai government at all.

Is it really discrimination to be expected to pay for the services you use?

I know many farangs are here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of Thailand and the lower cost of living in Thailannd...but please, be reasonable!

seriously, some farangs have really earned the nick name " Cheap Charlie"!

Id say an awful lot of Thais DONT pay taxes at all and the rich ones can afford to avoid them I doubt any street seller pays any tax

I like the way the Op says " a few baht more" funny as its often not a "few" baht at all...............I dont care so much as if I see the double treble quadruple pricing I just dont go in, am usually disappointed if i do at what i see as a non event.....Palau U waterfal Hua Hin......no water there at all and many of these sites are badly mainatained, Sam Roi Yot you can climb up to some mountain peaks there but there are no steps and frankly its a death trap.

Why is it that, whenever TAXES are mentioned in this type of thread, only INCOME tax is considered, rather than consumption & other taxes too?

The Thai Revenue Department takes 2.5 times as much VAT as it does Income Tax. I'd therefore say that VAT is 2.5 times as important in the maintenance of NPs & all sorts of infrastructure as Income Tax.

Every single one of us living in Thailand pays VAT on all sorts of purchases.

The average payment per person (based on a population of 67,000,000) per year of [VAT + Personal Income Tax] in Thailand is slightly less than 15,000฿, which equates to an annual spend of about 215,000฿ on VAT-liable goods alone.

dont worry im sure vat for frangs will now be set at 25% now youve highlighted it

What does tax-paying have to do with it? Very simple - if you read almost all the threads on this subject, a very common justification in favour of differential pricing is that foreigners don't pay tax so shouldn't expect concessionary entrance to state-funded facilities.

Personally, it doesn't bother me nowadays since I very rarely attempt to visit NPs etc.

However, I just thought it might be pertinent to demonstrate that even non-working foreigners living 'permanently' in Thailand can, in fact, quite easily pay tax to support NPs etc. at the national average level of Income Tax & VAT combined.

What does tax-paying have to do with it? Very simple - if you read almost all the threads on this subject, a very common justification in favour of differential pricing is that foreigners don't pay tax so shouldn't expect concessionary entrance to state-funded facilities.

Personally, it doesn't bother me nowadays since I very rarely attempt to visit NPs etc.

However, I just thought it might be pertinent to demonstrate that even non-working foreigners living 'permanently' in Thailand can, in fact, quite easily pay tax to support NPs etc. at the national average level of Income Tax & VAT combined.

Good points, but you may as well start a thread about not being allowed to vote, in spite of all the taxes we've been paying.

That's discrimination, too. But it's discrimination we grew up with, so it's okay.

Good points, but you may as well start a thread about not being allowed to vote, in spite of all the taxes we've been paying.

That's discrimination, too. But it's discrimination we grew up with, so it's okay.

I'm allowed to vote. Just not in Thailand.

Total nonsense. Dual pricing is discrimination and teaches Thais that foreigners have to be scammed. Instead of calling it a donation you should call for a donation box.

In phuket there is a Muay Thai stadium in Chalong area that charges 80 baht for Thais, but 1500-2800 for foreigners, even when they speak good Thai and have a Thai driving license. I would probably go every week but didn't even once in six years.

went to a local barbers- said 70 baht on the window. When he's done he wants 100 claiming falang hair is more difficult to cut! Ended up giving him 90, he thought he was clever charging more but does not realise he lost a repeat customer, so the 20 baht will cost him hundreds in the end.

They will charge what they think they can get away with! Living here, you get to know prices and when they try it on, I just move onto another vendor. I don't waste my time any more, I take my business elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daryle

I agree with some aspects of the OP.

One derailment in the discussion is those foreigners who still think in their home country's currency or accuse others who want fair treatment as cheap charlies. It isn't always about the money it is the principle. Yes it is only a few dollars, pounds, etc. However we are still talking 3-400% mark up for some things. When I go to a temple with my family to pray, I am often charged, which is a little embarrassing.

I have a wife and a child here, I pay about 60k baht in taxes annually and I am charged a tourist fee sometimes. Even when you can show your work permit or driver's license and get the local rate some workers don't know this and it becomes a hassle. It just gets tiring to have to prove yourself all the time.

Also the argument about national parks and things is true. Locals always pay the local price for state funded things. But not all of the foreigners here are tourists. Some of us are locals with jobs, businesses and families. For tourist of course paying more is appropriate, but what about hotels that charge more, or other private businesses?

Though I fully believe that tourist should be charged more same with people who don't pay into income tax, but the only way most people can determine this without checking everyone's id is racial profiling. It is kind of annoying having to explain to my daughter why I have to pay and she doesn't. She is a little cheeky and once she said "mom is free, dad is 200 what am I 100?" The woman laughed and then let us all in for free.

It just gets tiring to have to prove yourself all the time.

Whinging. You're white in an Asian country, Checking your ID's the only way to see what rate to charge you.

Edited by Rob13

I agree with some aspects of the OP.

One derailment in the discussion is those foreigners who still think in their home country's currency or accuse others who want fair treatment as cheap charlies. It isn't always about the money it is the principle. Yes it is only a few dollars, pounds, etc. However we are still talking 3-400% mark up for some things. When I go to a temple with my family to pray, I am often charged, which is a little embarrassing.

I have a wife and a child here, I pay about 60k baht in taxes annually and I am charged a tourist fee sometimes. Even when you can show your work permit or driver's license and get the local rate some workers don't know this and it becomes a hassle. It just gets tiring to have to prove yourself all the time.

Also the argument about national parks and things is true. Locals always pay the local price for state funded things. But not all of the foreigners here are tourists. Some of us are locals with jobs, businesses and families. For tourist of course paying more is appropriate, but what about hotels that charge more, or other private businesses?

Though I fully believe that tourist should be charged more same with people who don't pay into income tax, but the only way most people can determine this without checking everyone's id is racial profiling. It is kind of annoying having to explain to my daughter why I have to pay and she doesn't. She is a little cheeky and once she said "mom is free, dad is 200 what am I 100?" The woman laughed and then let us all in for free.

you need to pray harder