PM Prayut adamant about academics

webfact

It's quite simple:

Any of them who did not speak out against the amnesty bill or the murders of protesters (or any of the other outrageous acts of Pheu-Thai) but see fit to complain now do not deserve to be called an academic at all. They are just regular Thai hypocrites with their own agenda and low ethics. They should be told to shut up because they are nothing more than political activists at a time when Thailand does not need them. They can whine at the next government all they like.

Those of good conscience who did speak out previously should be told not to incite anger in the gullible cattle but otherwise be left alone as a check-and-balance. Why do I think there will be very, very few in that category ?.

Missing the point as always John

I think the time has come for the Thais to show a large scale protest of civil disobedience. If thousands, or 10's or 100's of thousands of people came out in protest, what could the junta do? Far too many to arrest. Can't shoot them. Pretty much anything the junta would do to suppress them would result in massive international condemnation (resulting in massive loss of face for the junta).

Of course the junta could play the Burma card, close the borders of the country and slaughter the protestors and plunge Thailand in a Burma style repressive military regime.

We do not want smart people giving opinions. We do not want alternative ideas flooding the brains of our people, especially not young smart people who just might start thinking independently.

Great way to move the country forward into the 21st century. Lets just keep the population dumb enough to be led like sheep.

Never met a smart red-shirt. All the smart Thais I know are anti-red shirt.

Why would a smart person support Thaksin + Pheu-Thai ?. They only stand for corruption.

The smart people stand for reforms ASAP and a government from free and fair elections.

No need to ask which camp you fit into.

I do wish you'd change your name, You're an embarrassment. Why not go for something more suited to your twisted logic, I think "JohnOfBedlam" has a nice ring to it

It's quite simple:

Any of them who did not speak out against the amnesty bill or the murders of protesters (or any of the other outrageous acts of Pheu-Thai) but see fit to complain now do not deserve to be called an academic at all. They are just regular Thai hypocrites with their own agenda and low ethics. They should be told to shut up because they are nothing more than political activists at a time when Thailand does not need them. They can whine at the next government all they like.

Those of good conscience who did speak out previously should be told not to incite anger in the gullible cattle but otherwise be left alone as a check-and-balance. Why do I think there will be very, very few in that category ?.

Seriously? What planet are you living on?

PM Prayut was all his life a soldier and that has shaped him.
As a general he is used to give commands, and all have to follow without contradiction.
Most often, however, this soldierly habit, is in the lion's den of policy, rather hindrance than a help.
He should be more diplomatic, to withdraw himself from the firing line and rather adopt a referee role.
Let discuss the academics and scholars of all directions and colors of politics.
Rather to curtail them, he should actively demand from them concrete suggestions and solutions.
So he could choose the best proposals from many ideas for improvement.
If all have the opportunities to cooperate and participate in a renewal of the country,
then it leads to a greater acceptance and to a broader support for the implementation.
That would help to restore the desired unity.

Edited by tomacht8

I think the time has come for the Thais to show a large scale protest of civil disobedience. If thousands, or 10's or 100's of thousands of people came out in protest, what could the junta do? Far too many to arrest. Can't shoot them. Pretty much anything the junta would do to suppress them would result in massive international condemnation (resulting in massive loss of face for the junta).

Of course the junta could play the Burma card, close the borders of the country and slaughter the protestors and plunge Thailand in a Burma style repressive military regime.

Easy on the Burma part you are giving them a bad name. They did have a legal election for starters. Now the military can sit in the bushes sorry sidelines and wait for the lady to make a mistake blame her and start the whole charade over again. Democracy Asian style.

Edited by elgordo38

It's quite simple:

Man who has unfettered ability to criticize others sees nothing wrong with suppressing the critical speech of others.

Hypocrisy indeed.

We do not want smart people giving opinions. We do not want alternative ideas flooding the brains of our people, especially not young smart people who just might start thinking independently.

Great way to move the country forward into the 21st century. Lets just keep the population dumb enough to be led like sheep.

Why would a smart person support Thaksin + Pheu-Thai ?. They only stand for corruption.

The smart people stand for reforms ASAP and a government from free and fair elections.

"Never met a smart red-shirt. All the smart Thais I know are anti-red shirt."

John, as has been pointed out in a previous post you really should stop embarrassing yourself by writing posts like these. Continuously calling people who are against the junta stupid is just wrong coming from a person who is so clearly not very bright.

"The smart people stand for reforms ASAP and a government from free and fair elections."

What reforms John?? The lottery reforms?

hey, he is a junta-hugger who also happens to be a bigot...

"Never met a smart red-shirt.

I've met a lot of smart red shirts. I've met a lot of smart yellow shirts. EJ is just off-the-chart bonkers. He expects a self-appointed "PM", former general who is in a long line of Thai generals to overthrow governments and install their own junta to lead the country to democracy.

Now of course that is the party-line from the current self-appointed "PM", but "smart people", to borrow the phrase, are smart enough to know better...

All those who cheered for the coup and went against the primacy of elections, now have an awkward unintended consequence.

Free speech as long as it supports me. Of course I doubt anyone will dare to rail against this in Thailand because it will lead to re-education.

All u numpties who cheered for the tanks are utter fools.

"Never met a smart red-shirt. All the smart Thais I know are anti-red shirt."

John, as has been pointed out in a previous post you really should stop embarrassing yourself by writing posts like these. Continuously calling people who are against the junta stupid is just wrong coming from a person who is so clearly not very bright.

"The smart people stand for reforms ASAP and a government from free and fair elections."

What reforms John?? The lottery reforms?

hey, he is a junta-hugger who also happens to be a bigot...

"Never met a smart red-shirt.

I've met a lot of smart red shirts. I've met a lot of smart yellow shirts. EJ is just off-the-chart bonkers. He expects a self-appointed "PM", former general who is in a long line of Thai generals to overthrow governments and install their own junta to lead the country to democracy.

Now of course that is the party-line from the current self-appointed "PM", but "smart people", to borrow the phrase, are smart enough to know better...

I will tell what I have definitely met. An awful lot of arrogant yellows who think the world is set in stone with them on top of the pile.

You mention some points that possibly are relevant.........Thailand needs to understand that the current leader is irrational..........IMO, he's preparing a state run completely by the military...for a long time......elections are going to be a distant dream for Thailand as I see it......

I do wish you'd change your name, You're an embarrassment. Why not go for something more suited to your twisted logic, I think "JohnOfBedlam" has a nice ring to it

Being English I utterly agree with you Grumbleweed, this guys views are just an embarrassment to the name English, I've a funny feeling that he isn't though, I think maybe "agent provocteur" might sum him up better...

Unlimited freedom leads to conflict.

This was shown to be true recently in Paris.

The same way that buying a lottery ticket leads to becoming a millionaire.

Do you really think the French have "unlimited freedom"?

Edited by attrayant

There you have it! Unlimited freedom of speech leads to conflict. So in P's eyes this will be controlled as long as he remains in power. Points of views are to be suppressed if you don't conform to the way P wants.

So far this has only been dealt with using courts and adjustment camps. I fear it will get a lot worse and can only hope it doesn't get like N.K. With his 20 year roadmap now one can only guess at when he will step down and allow democracy to return. One also has to wonder if the people running for the next gov are going to be hand picked by him to ensure his way of thinking remains the rule for a very long time.

I was all for his coupe. Thailand needed to be rid of the T clan rule and PTPs hand in everything. P has been doing many good things for Thailand, but????

"P has been doing many good things for Thailand"

Such as?

I have been inclined to say 'I told you so', but after a short review I have alway withheld doing so even up to and including this point in time. This will get 10x worse - so I will holdoff until we are really going to need it and then some will finally understand it.

All that said; it would seem I have said it anyway for those that are now inclined to or have got it already anyway. There are of course - those that once they do get it - will never admit to it. coffee1.gif

It is kind of like the clap. You will only get it by being subjected to the intercourse of the provider and then there will be many unusual positions that transpire in the process, but once you do get it at least you will know whom to really blame once and for all.wai.gif

I am not sure either side of this debate /discussion, pro or anti Junta can justify confidence in either position by the good /accomplishments that came about for the majority of the Thai population, due to their dilgence, honesty, preformance, etc.

Granted the Junta is barely out of the starting gate compared to the more than a decade of Taksin (family) involvement on the political scene, so I would say the jury is still out on the Junta contributions. But the present government has held military personel accountable for their behavior, along with civil servants, private sector, etc. past and present. So that dog wont hunt anymore. The continual reference to unusual wealth is being directed at those who cannot or will not explain the source, as are land encroachment, fake land documents, etc. And finally some one seems to have pulled back on the reins of what had become a runaway police force answering only to their own and their sponser. All mentioned,are works in progress, final judgement may be guessed at but until that ateeple is hoisted into place, the work area cleaned and landscaping completed, it is not a finished

• 2 weeks later...

"Never met a smart Red Shirt". Really? You need to get out more, you know, whats the word, mingle. Your "smart people" are the problem, and what has held this country back for decades, not your average "Red Shirt" Somchai in the street.

I am not sure either side of this debate /discussion, pro or anti Junta can justify confidence in either position by the good /accomplishments that came about for the majority of the Thai population, due to their dilgence, honesty, preformance, etc.

Granted the Junta is barely out of the starting gate compared to the more than a decade of Taksin (family) involvement on the political scene, so I would say the jury is still out on the Junta contributions. But the present government has held military personel accountable for their behavior, along with civil servants, private sector, etc. past and present. So that dog wont hunt anymore. The continual reference to unusual wealth is being directed at those who cannot or will not explain the source, as are land encroachment, fake land documents, etc. And finally some one seems to have pulled back on the reins of what had become a runaway police force answering only to their own and their sponser. All mentioned,are works in progress, final judgement may be guessed at but until that ateeple is hoisted into place, the work area cleaned and landscaping completed, it is not a finished

Another one with their head in the sand. All the jaunta contributions are going into jaunta pockets. They need to clean themselves from top to bottom before they can claim any success and as we can see, they are not doing that; they are already covering up corruption and malfeasance and it will continue. I would support a coup if I really belived they would even put a dent in corruption, but they will not because they are total hypocrites, as with their TV cheer leaders who continue to propogate brazen lies about the coup. They have not even been able to get a grip on Thai aviation because it is riddled with air force officers. How is it that they can run the airforce and still have time to work for what should be a very profitable airline but is not because all the money goes into grasping hands and gaping pockets. Army, Navy 555. All Pigs in the trough.

Of course, there was never going to be any real reform nor any reduction of corruption. That was just a rallying cry. They only change the pockets that receive the corruption. How could it be otherwise. The most corrupt organization in the country is the army, but the junta never mentioned them as a target for reform.

All of which is quite standard. The interesting development is that a yellow rag like the Nation and the other English paper is now starting to criticize the junta. When the business community turns against the generals as far too incompetent to manage the Thai economy, that's the beginning of the end for them. Given the junta's gross incompetence at handling the warnings about poor Thai airline safety practices, can anyone doubt that they will screw up the economy completely?

• 3 weeks later...

"can't shoot them", Oh really! Since when?