They dont like Farang fixing the road

kannot

Roads by me are a joke, holes 3 feet across (1 metre) and almost as deep, its not the first time ive mixed up some concrete and filled them in, get a few thumbs up from some neighbours who are clearly fed up with it but there always appears some w***ker blathering on its the orbortors job.

Well he's had more than a year and when they do fix it its effin laughable, loose tarmac thrown in hole swept out a bit if lucky with a wicker brush and then left in a mound for passing traffic to compact..........seriously about as lazy as you can get and in within one months its right back to the same holes.

So today, again I mixed up some concrete and went half a mile down the road outside a shop where there are 4 holes all about 1 metre wide and about 10inches deep, filled em in, ( took 4 mixes in the conc tub) stood flower pots (plastic) around em with bits of shrubbery to warn others they had been done, the shop woman came out and her son gave us a free coke and helped shift the piles of loose stones someone had chucked in as a temporary repair

I first got my leaf blower and blew them all out before in with some water and the concrete trowelled over level....................... and then arrives "jobsworth" Ill call him the local Moron, on the phone in 2 seconds to "whoever" tried to tell my helper and me to stop, we ignored it, he next called some woman on a motorbike who spoke English and she said they had a plan to fix it on December 6th etc blah blah.heard it all before, I said its dangerous how about someone falls off their bike and Im doing it today and the last time they fixed it within a month it was out......they werent sure what to do and left.

Now ive done this before and it must be some big loss of face for the orbortor as sure enough within an hour they turn up with a truck full of tarmac and go through the same old crap repairing routine and sure enough in a month the holes will be back.all except t he ones I concreted that is.

Theyre probably pissed as Im taking away their money making scam of fixing again and again, its easy to see some of the locals are sick of this crap too,

Anyway now we have tons of loose tarmac in mounds and scattered all over the roads like confetti.....just another day in the land of fooook ups.

Oh their final words were " we plan to use concrete" this was after i said when they fix it every time its out in a month.

Ok have at it........so when will I be "warned off" "shot" "arrested for illegal working" "gang raped" "hung drawn and quartered" or just seen as a complete dick or all the above.

Want picture of the mess?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey its done and all it took was 5 men and a big pile of tarmac which about 35% went in some of the holes and the other 65% has done "someones" shop front, not even on the road, guess they got too tired of the holes.

Should be good for at least a month then we can wait another year for the next fix if ever or until nasty farang does it again .

A perfect job, hey I like the fun of it

Edited by kannot

the anal stuff over "working" is nasty stuff. never seen it in any other country.

i fixed a fence to keep dogs out at my old place, and it raised eyebrows. the owner had a hand help me whenever i did it, no big deal since we all got along.

thing was there was nobody within eye shot, they were doing it to protect me from some unseen force or immigration official.

weird stuff and some paranoia in there somewhere. does not fit in with the mai pen rai attitude as many other things do.

Joe public can't go around fixing roads in the UK either.

I am sure you would get a reaction from a local authority jobsworth in short order,

if you were to try.

I think the UK can fix roads, the Thais cant as can clearly be seen ANYWHERE in Thailand

a worn out stretch of road about 15 metres long joining two sois was recently re-tarmaced. how can this be your job and you be so c*ap at doing it; its not flat or smooth so gets big puddles when it rains, one area is obviously higher than the the rest of the road - it never used to be, and there are long cracks starting to appear. it was only done two months ago.

Kannot

How about another photo end of December?

But, you're right, have seen 1,000s of such road patches, not worth much, especially during the wet.

Mac

I reckon a photo in a 2 weeks would be as good, first drop of rain kiss it all goodbye, however they do have a cunning plan, when that happens or they run out of tarmac they resort to some sort of mix of mud and stones, that can last as much as a week sometimes, its really comical but sad at the same time.

No cutting disc no compactor, hole not cleaned out and no bitumen sealant around after,,,,,,, hey we dont need all those fancy things

Come on then. Show us your repairs so we can compare them.

Hold fire Ill go get some pics when the other have buggered off, ok just been out the front here, heres the ones I did about 4-5 months back and they also did next to them at the same time. theres are all falling apart and these are some of their better attempts

The roads really are totally shot thru just a crumbling mass of loose aggregate in many places. When they do use concrete they get it everywhere and mound it up so instead of holes you get hillocks + never clean the holes out

Edited by kannot

I commend you for trying to fix the road but you are correct in your assumption that you are standing on toes.

I met a roads contractor at a party many years ago and she told me, the reason they don't do the roads properly is so they can come back and do them again in 3 years. She gets paid, puu yai gets paid and government guy gets paid. Photographs are taken of the offending road to ask for funds to fix it and so on.

Now, if you are fixing the road, then the photos are not gonna show a crappy road and thus, no funds to divide up. If you look at the motorways here in LOS cheesy.gif , you will see that most are constructed with concrete and last years and years with some patching here and there.

Why don't they use concrete on rural roads and be done with it, I hear you ask ! Because then no one would make money patching them up or resurfacing every three years.

Well done for initiating the repairs but you may be standing on toes here, of quite rich people. Not one person but three or four. Anyway good on ya ! clap2.gif

Come on then. Show us your repairs so we can compare them.

Hold fire Ill go get some pics when the other have buggered off, ok just been out the front here, heres the ones I did about 4-5 months back and they also did next to them at the same time. theres are all falling apart and these are some of their better attempts

The roads really are totally shot thru just a crumbling mass of loose aggregate in many places. When they do use concrete they get it everywhere and mound it up so instead of holes you get hillocks + never clean the holes out

Much better. thumbsup.gif

I commend you for trying to fix the road but you are correct in your assumption that you are standing on toes.

I met a roads contractor at a party many years ago and she told me, the reason they don't do the roads properly is so they can come back and do them again in 3 years. She gets paid, puu yai gets paid and government guy gets paid. Photographs are taken of the offending road to ask for funds to fix it and so on.

Now, if you are fixing the road, then the photos are not gonna show a crappy road and thus, no funds to divide up. If you look at the motorways here in LOS cheesy.gif , you will see that most are constructed with concrete and last years and years with some patching here and there.

Why don't they use concrete on rural roads and be done with it, I hear you ask ! Because then no one would make money patching them up or resurfacing every three years.

Well done for initiating the repairs but you may be standing on toes here, of quite rich people. Not one person but three or four. Anyway good on ya ! clap2.gif

Actually I know their modus operandi, they see me doing it, someone reports in and the very same day they come round with the confetti to fill in the others, second time its happened now, oh look at the orbortor isnt he good etc big face that and all on Loy Krathing day, when they were trying to get me to stop I went down the "its Loy Krathong Day" route saying it was for that as many will go to the temple about half a mile down by me thru those roads, had one girl come off her bike on the corner a while back due to excess gravel and hole, gravel was from out the hole, it wasnt pretty and she wasnt afterwards either

Kannot.

The UK could fix the roads,they just choose not to.

Stock photos.

I am in the UK presently,the roads are atrocious.

My yearly road tax is £290.attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-25-09-00-03.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-25-08-59-16.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-25-08-58-03.png

Yep Im sure youre right up to a point BUT when they do have to fix them its way better than Thailand, I mean I dont think they had a shovel between them they were just filling up a bucket and throwing it in the hole, no compaction, nowt

I go down a road every day that gets worse by the hour it seems to me, what was the best way to avoid holes last week becomes the worst. If I still had my team and my big truck this is stuff that I would have fixed in a day and NOBODY would have rolled over wet concrete ot asphalt. After four years here I have seen patches of patches of patches of patches and the surface is still crap (deleted).

Knowing Thailand as I do I would never go doing stuff like this here.

Correct.I dont give a sh!t. + they cant actually do it anyway and thats "if" they do it, feel better now?

Forgot to add two days ago a Thai ( shock horror) also pissed at the roads got some stones and filled in the 4 biggest culprits, this actually made it worse but hey you keep those nice rosey glasses working well.

Edited by CharlieH

I go down a road every day that gets worse by the hour it seems to me, what was the best way to avoid holes last week becomes the worst. If I still had my team and my big truck this is stuff that I would have fixed in a day and NOBODY would have rolled over wet concrete ot asphalt. After four years here I have seen patches of patches of patches of patches and the surface is still crap (deleted).

Knowing Thailand as I do I would never go doing stuff like this here.

The best one I know of ( but no pictures) is in Loei near the Wifes village,it was a road once but has more holes than road now, Shes 39, she said she used to cycle down it as a kid from school and it was the same then. The head of the village said .ah well they were "planning" to fix it then the flooding came in BKK.........load of old crap, staunch red shirt area and proclaims it as you enter the village, they accept anything they are told by the reds in fact I doubt anyone round there is even allowed to mention anything negative at all about them.

PS I find both sides abysmal

I am sure you would get a reaction from a local authority jobsworth in short order,

if you were to try.

There might be a Thai visiting you, asking if you've seen his face anywhere!

Troll style remarks have been removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Kannot.

The UK could fix the roads,they just choose not to.

Stock photos.

I am in the UK presently,the roads are atrocious.

My yearly road tax is £290.attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-25-09-00-03.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-25-08-59-16.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-25-08-58-03.png

Have u any idea of the cost of fixing one pot hole and what has happened to local govt funding who are responsible for just about everything other than motorways?

By the way, drive a smaller car, zero Road tax. Your Road tax doesn't go directly to fixing roads.

if you were to try.

I think the UK can fix roads, the Thais cant as can clearly be seen ANYWHERE in Thailand

Road repairs are the responsibility of the local authority. Once you begin shoving your oar in, then the work you have done becomes the responsibility of local authority and you could be brought to book for any accidents on that patch of road once you have finished meddling in something that is not your business.

Even if you consider the work not up to standard, you still do not have the authority to go around filling holes in public roads. If the local authority make excuses that there is not enough budget to do a quality job, then make a financial contribution yourself if you are so concerned.

They are constructing a new road in my area which was started 6 months ago and is not yet complete and already they have had to come back to fill in pot holes and new pot holes show up weekly. Thailand has no clue on how to construct roadways.

I really disagree with this. My village's roads were raised and resurfaced some 12 years ago (concrete) - Not one pot hole or crack so far. I guess it's down to workmanship and materials.....

I better add, since the horrible view blocking condos behind ChocolateVille have gone up, we get a lot of heavy trucks come through shifting dirt. Roads are not affected...

Edited by phazey

Kannot

How about another photo end of December?

But, you're right, have seen 1,000s of such road patches, not worth much, especially during the wet.

Mac

I could have taken pictures today from the new top layer they installed on Highway #36 less than 4 weeks ago.

They scraped it off then installed a new top layer.

Today there were many big holes in it.