They dont like Farang fixing the road

kannot

Be careful at least on the southbound section of Thai highway route number 1 all the way from route 2 to the elevated tollway. Terribly scary conditions yesterday. A semil trailer decoupled yesterday after hitting one of the numerous HUGE fissures in the road. Another truck had a tire blowout along the same stretch. Edit: And a pickup had lost it's load. I hit a few of these fissures myself on a motorbike, jeez it scared the crap outta me. The 4 hours stretch of road with sun in your eyes in the afternoon doesn't help either. Such a dangerous piece of road.

Edited by Bear0Mack

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The worst travesty I saw is one of the "villages" near Suwannaphumi with small hotels and restaurants. Long pavements (sidewalks) of interlocking brick pavers placed on a bed of nothing more than loose sand. Of course soon became a impassable irregular morass of irregular bricks like a boulder field!

Are there no civil engineers, or is it not better to do it improperly then get another contract to build it again?

Edited by arunsakda

once the local IO hear about the crazy farang filling in potholes they will be frothing at the mouth.

whats the fine these days for that one......30K?

Immigration have told me they cant come to my house already as its too far from them...........that was for the yearly extension, instead, I had to go with them to a nearby (Hua Hin) hotel to have photos taken so they could lie to the Bangkok Boys about meeting me near my home, incredible but true, NO HOME VISIT

IF anyone from immigration or a 'snitch' points out this post, they will have little trouble in identifying you.

Silly to lay your immigration status out as an open book, especially on an open forum.

You must be an avid Facebook fan?biggrin.png

once the local IO hear about the crazy farang filling in potholes they will be frothing at the mouth.

whats the fine these days for that one......30K?

Immigration have told me they cant come to my house already as its too far from them...........that was for the yearly extension, instead, I had to go with them to a nearby (Hua Hin) hotel to have photos taken so they could lie to the Bangkok Boys about meeting me near my home, incredible but true, NO HOME VISIT

IF anyone from immigration or a 'snitch' points out this post, they will have little trouble in identifying you.

Silly to lay your immigration status out as an open book, especially on an open forum.

You must be an avid Facebook fan?biggrin.png

I doubt they could care less...........dont even have a facebook account,.sheesh some of you worry sooooooo much

Concrete? In the long term you'll cause more damage than you fix.

If you really want to make a point or be useful, why don't you get yourself sorted and get a representation together and pressure the local authorities?

All you've succeeded in doing is make yourself into the "local moron"

Huh you make me laugh "long term" gufffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, you know how old this road is???? 2 years, if it lasts another 2 years it will be a frickin miracle, its put down and within 6 months the first cracks appear, then its sinks in places then it crumbles away...............suggest you know nothing of construction of roads around here and many rural parts of Thailand

kannot, you're an awesome dude. You're one of those people who gets off your ass and does something, doesn't just complain about it. All the haters in here are lazy <deleted> who hate the world because they married an ugly bar girl.

funny thing about this thread is you failed to realize that the thais actually think the inferior repair is BETTER.

its not some conspiracy for funding or political issue or any other reason your making up in your educated abroad head.

take some locals out there and ask which repair is better.

funny thing about this thread is you failed to realize that the thais actually think the inferior repair is BETTER.

its not some conspiracy for funding or political issue or any other reason your making up in your educated abroad head.

take some locals out there and ask which repair is better.

just like Thai airwayslaugh.png

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but 5-6 months ago I got tired of almost killing myself by hitting potholes on my bike so I got a can of white paint and made markings in front of them so I could see and avoid them at night. Less than a week later, every single one I'd marked had been repaired with cold patch asphalt. Most are still fully intact.

A couple months ago, a big pothole appeared in my neighborhood so I filled it with layers of broken brick, mortar and gravel. When I returned after a 8 week trip and noticed it was still near level with the road, I filled in a few more. Today I noticed that every one I'd filled in had been filled with concrete. I doubt it was the city crews but it wasn't me. It's just nice not to have to negotiate a pothole minefield everyday. So whoever filled them in, thanks.

Not sure how long you've been here but STOP doing it as you are taking people's livelihoods away.

Who the hell do you think you are?

If you pan to live in harmony with the locals you MUST adapt to THEIR WAYS.

The holes in my road haven't been patched for 3 years. I'm inspired to do so now.

I could ride over to the Tessaban and tell them about the holes in the road, which of course they already know about.

They will pretend they didn't know because the alternative is having a farang point out they've been derelict in their duties and that's worse than the loss of face from just telling a lie. But then they feel awkward because they can tell that I know that they knew, and are derelict, and are lying about it. Potentially massive Broken Face Fest, noses, eyes and lips all over the floor, it could get messy and of course, it would be all my fault.

So I will not complain, and avoid the potential confrontation by fixing the holes as discreetly as I can.

If I'm ever asked, I'll just shrug my shoulders and starting talking about how all the dogs were barking and howling in unison the other night, which means my dead Father-in-Law came around for another visit. He was a lovely guy, well respected at the Wat, always fixing stuff and helping people. And just leave it like that. Who's going to begrudge a ghost a little happiness from patching a few holes.

Not sure how long you've been here but STOP doing it as you are taking people's livelihoods away.

balls

To me it's just a really bizarre bit of behaviour - i very much doubt if the OP would ever do anything like this a t home...it's just a "white superiority" thing.

Youre right.......... at "home" if I go down a pothole I send the council a bill and get the money back for a bent wheel, done it a few times over the years. The rest of your post is just cobblers

To me it's just a really bizarre bit of behaviour - i very much doubt if the OP would ever do anything like this a t home...it's just a "white superiority" thing.

Youre right.......... at "home" if I go down a pothole I send the council a bill and get the money back for a bent wheel, done it a few times over the years. The rest of your post is just cobblers

bet you have

Doubt it's a "white superiority" thing. He's probably just tired of hitting potholes with his car or bike. I filled on in front of my house in the U.S. and I lived in probably one of the whitest neighborhoods. I called the city, they fixed it once, it lasted a month, I called them again and they either ran out of money or had something else more important to do because it sat for months getting worse. I asked a friend who did driveways to stop by when he had some leftover asphalt, we patched it properly and it lasted until the road was resurfaced quite a while later.

i had a motorcycle accident over a year ago and I'm still doing PT for it, I hit one near my house at night and almost dumped my bike again. I'm be damned if I'm going wreck my bike and end up in the hospital and trying to sleep in a chair for three months again because they can't fix dangerous roads. If someone is upset I'm doing their job, too bad, if they did their job I wouldn't be doing it for them.

I was under the impression that government employees who had a job for life and steady salary were supplied a truck, tools and materials to patch roads, not outside contractors. If corrupt government officials want to pocket a portion of outsourced resurfacing projects I'm sure they could send out some crews to tear up the roads before they take photos to justify another resurfacing job.

I too commend Kannot for doing something positive for his community, improving traffic safety and doing something about it rather than ignoring it or complaining. I've lost count of the accidents I've seen from scooters hitting potholes or being hit by cars swerving to avoid them.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont like a farang fix the roads around me too for sure. you are not engineer or you are not a road construction or repair worker. you might do something wrong etc etc.

it is an officious act. not your job.

what next? will you start to catch the criminals on the roads too by setting up road blocks? as criminals are also as dangerous as bad roads?

Edited by maykilceksin

i dont like a farang fix the roads around me too for sure. you are not engineer or you are not a road construction or repair worker. you might do something wrong etc etc.

what next? will you start to catch the criminals on the roads too by setting up road blocks? as criminals are also as dangerous as bad roads?

:lol::lol:

I thought Chang was less than 6% ....

my guess is that he's not particularly interested in keeping the locals employed.

my guess is that he's not particularly interested in keeping the locals employed.

+ I dont like "panning"laugh.png

• 1 month later...

Head of village came to see us yesterday, hes a good bloke "one of the few" he was telling us the orbortor doesnt like the "Falang" fixing the road but then went on to say he was crap at his job anyway and he really didnt like him.

So this is a loss of face for the orbortor and I get the backing of head of village and apparently a few others for getting the orbortor off his arse to actually do some work.

This was the same orbortor who I got my Wife to take him down a glass of water from the village supply asking him if he wanted a drink.............we were complaining about the filthy water on this occasion, his reply at the time was its ok we have plenty of water in our own lake we should use that .

The water from the tap looked worse than this and on the left our water from our 85metre deep well looks like this on the right..............he declined our free glass of waterlaugh.png

Good job man. Nothing wrong with a little do it yourself. People who hide behind rules and cower when they think the powers that be are watching are sheep noting more nothing less. I grew up with the theory of there are 2 types of people. People who bitch about problems or people who solve them. Glad to see you are the second. I have always worked in the same manner and if you were my neighbor I would have gladly helped and bought the beers after. Good work man

Edited by Ghostmanthai

Hey its done and all it took was 5 men and a big pile of tarmac which about 35% went in some of the holes and the other 65% has done "someones" shop front, not even on the road, guess they got too tired of the holes.

Should be good for at least a month then we can wait another year for the next fix if ever or until nasty farang does it again .

A perfect job, hey I like the fun of it

Work of art, that...

You do something to a road, someone has an accident anywhere near "something", and you will have your pants sued off for causing the accident.

(if someone has already posted this, sorry, i dont read most other peoples posts, too misleading)

In Thailand? Rubbish.