Is Thailand becoming increasingly stringent on expats legally working here?

Dear all,

I am asking this question as a "farang" working and living in thailand for the past 3 years. I might be naive and for other more experienced expats this might seem a trivial question, but on my recent trip to renew my Multiple entry 12 months visa in Vientiane and subsequent re-entry into the country via Suvarnabhumi I have felt uncomfortable, for the first time being asked a lot of question regarding my employment here in a not very friendly way, to say the least. I might have been plainly unlucky this time with the embassy in Vientiane and the immmigration officer in Bangkok, but the question is: any of you felt the same in the recent weeks/months? At the end I have been cleared with no further incident since all my papers are in order and I do have the shoulders covered by a "strong" company, but it still makes me wonder if this military junta has some kind of agenda against expats here.

Let me know your experiences.

Edited by cruiser02
  • Like 1

If you work for strong company why not apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on working ?

You would then only have to make 90 day reports to immigration instead of leaving the country every 90 days.

An extension of stay is also cheaper @1900 Bht than a multi entry visa .

• Like 2

If you work for strong company why not apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on working ?

You would then only have to make 90 day reports to immigration instead of leaving the country every 90 days.

I never said I leave the country every 90 days, I do get a 12 month extension on a non-b visa, but that's not the point is it?

• Like 2

I might have not explained myself properly because everyone thinks I am doing visa runs or something. I am not, once a year the company has to send me to an embassy abroad to renew my 12 months multi non bvisa. Is there another way to do it within Thailand I am not aware of? I am pretty sure that's not the case.

• Like 2

A challenging questions... best answer... it all depends, what the situation is that you encounter.. Some Thai hoop jumping is actually understandable,.. and then some really have you stratching you head.

Thing is to deal with and get over it..

I never said I leave the country every 90 days, I do get a 12 month extension on a non-b visa, but that's not the point is it?

"but on my recent trip to renew my Multiple entry 12 months visa in Vientiane and subsequent re-entry into the country via Suvarnabhumi "
Does not sound like an extension of stay.
If you have an extension of stay why "renew my Multiple entry 12 months visa in Vientiane" ?
If you have an extension of stay it is unlikely that the immigration officers will ask what you are doing in Thailand.

What you mean extension of stay? Every 12 months we have to apply for a new non-b multi entry visa, isn'it? Where do you apply for it instead?

"but on my recent trip to renew my Multiple entry 12 months visa in Vientiane and subsequent re-entry into the country via Suvarnabhumi "
If you have an extension of stay why "renew my Multiple entry 12 months visa in Vientiane" ?
If you have an extension of stay it is unlikely that the immigration officers will ask what you are doing in Thailand.

I might have not explained myself properly because everyone thinks I am doing visa runs or something. I am not, once a year the company has to send me to an embassy abroad to renew my 12 months multi non bvisa. Is there another way to do it within Thailand I am not aware of? I am pretty sure that's not the case.

You need to apply for an extension of stay at tan immigration office with paperwork supplied by your employer .

Providing you have tax receipts demonstrating an adequate income and a work permit there should be no problem.

The multi entry visa requires that you leave the country every 90 days.

• Like 1

Yes I do leave the country at least every 90 days anyway for reasons related to work. But having yearly contracts and yearly working permits that seems more easily said than done. Do you have any direct experience with visa extensions beyond 12 months within Thailand?

Yes I do leave the country at least every 90 days anyway for reasons related to work. But having yearly contracts and yearly working permits that seems more easily said than done. Do you have any direct experience with visa extensions beyond 12 months within Thailand?

Extensions of stay are for 12 months and are renewable.

If an extension of stay is granted a re-entry permit is required for travel outside the country.

Yes I do have personal experience of extensions of stay which are granted for various reasons.

• Like 1

Ok fine, I wasn't really asking advice but rather your experience in recent times with immigration people. I can assure you that what I am doing is legal under thai law and at worst is on the safe side of things, but I repeat that this wasn't the main topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok fine, I wasn't really asking advice but rather your experience in recent times with immigration people. I can assure you that what I am doing is legal under thai law and at worst is on the safe side of things, but I repeat that this wasn't the main topic...

I, personally, have never had a problem with any Immigration Officer and I have lived in Thailand for a long time ..............smile.png

• Like 2

Both of the above require 90 day reports which in my case can be done online now. And, of course you need to renew your work permit each year as well at the labor office.

Point of information for me, since I thought the Thai work permit was always a physical document in the form of a blue colored book. (That's what mine is, but my employer is a BOI company, so I'm not sure it's that way for everyone)

Do you have a blue book/work permit?

Even when we bring in people for short projects, we get them a temporary work permit. But I often run into expats who claim to be working legally, (with assurances from their employer) without actually having a work permit. So I'm confused...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

if you would get a "normal" contract from your employer you never have to leave the country to renew anything.

did you ask yourself the question, why your employer only gives you 12 month contract? i think the answer is: because he does not want to pay you any compensation. you have a right for compensation if contract gets canceled. (1 month salary for first 12 month, 3 month salary after 12 month,etc.)

maybe try to get a normal contract so you have a right to ask for this at a later point. ;-)

What you mean extension of stay? Every 12 months we have to apply for a new non-b multi entry visa, isn'it? Where do you apply for it instead?

Normally you need just a single entry B visa and then get a work permit and an extension of stay with 90 reporting to the immigration.

A Multiply Entry B visa is for frequent business trips to Thailand.

Both of the above require 90 day reports which in my case can be done online now. And, of course you need to renew your work permit each year as well at the labor office.

Point of information for me, since I thought the Thai work permit was always a physical document in the form of a blue colored book. (That's what mine is, but my employer is a BOI company, so I'm not sure it's that way for everyone)

Do you have a blue book/work permit?

Even when we bring in people for short projects, we get them a temporary work permit. But I often run into expats who claim to be working legally, (with assurances from their employer) without actually having a work permit. So I'm confused...

Yes, to clarify, I have a blue work permit (this I extend by a year every year around May)

My extension in my passport is done September each year - simply because my first arrival with the full page stick in Visa from the embassy in Singapore was in September 2005. I begin the extension process about two weeks before the expiry each year and hove been on an extension of stay of the original visa ever since.

Came here on a Non-B visa in 1995 and got a work permit and since then, have been here on extension of stays. Just one yearly visit to immigration office here in bangkok, then apply for multiple re-entry. Normally dont need to do the 90 day reporting as i leave the country on business frequently. Immigration has mostly been polite and professional these last 20 years. Now i have a PR. Edited by saakura
  • Like 1

Depending on the type of your employer, you can get one-year extensions for the reason of employment from your local immigration office based on clause 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.6 or 2.7 of

Police Order 327/2557

and

Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557

• Like 1

This is the form used for the application for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of employment (employment extension) at your local immigration office:

PDF format: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf

Microsoft Word format: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

This is what the immigration stamp for a one-year employment extension looks like:

Extension%252520Employment%252520Sub%252

With this extension, repeated every 12 months at your local immigration office, you will never have to travel to a Thai embassy or consulate again to get a new visa.

• Like 2

To answer a few questions here and there:

Yes I do have a work permit

When I said strong company I meant with "connections" but definitely still a thai company with all the organization problems they usually come with...

I will ask them if they can make an extension next time, I had a lot of supporting paperworks including income, taxes etc.

Thank you Pepper for the kind understanding on the main subject of this topic!

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed