Loy Krathong thief in viral video tracked down by police and apologizes

webfact

Loy Krathong thief in viral video tracked down by police and apologizes
By Coconuts Bangkok

krathong_crasher_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The bold dude who was filmed raiding people’s krathong to steal cash right in front of them at Phayo Lake was tracked down by local police for questioning.

After the man became the most famous Loy Krathong figure on the internet, local police found him and simply asked why he took the money meant for the Goddess of Water.

The story took a sad turn as the man, identified as Manop Ta-ngam, said he only did it because his family is poor and he needed the money to buy milk for his four-month-old baby.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/26/loy-krathong-thief-viral-video-tracked-down-police-and-apologizes

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-27

No sympathy here am afraid. And also no sympathy for these people bleating but still floating their krathongs despite seeing precisely what this despicable man in the river was doing. Would it have killed these people to move a hundred yards or so down the river?

What a pathetic scene all around facepalm.gif

I think he is the smart guy. The people throwing their money away are the idiots. How can it be stealing if the people threw it way and he picked it up? Certainly those putting the money in the water didn't expect it to come floating back so that they could put it back in their wallets

Edited by angmo

Last year, when I attended for my first and last time, that also happened...a small family of 4 or so with their boats...I was under the impression that it was part of the, eh, game...as nobody would say anything nor my GF giving me any kind opf negative response to my questions.

But yea...better in his wallet than on the bottom of the river, 1 family fed, millions saved in minting.

No sympathy here am afraid. And also no sympathy for these people bleating but still floating their krathongs despite seeing precisely what this despicable man in the river was doing. Would it have killed these people to move a hundred yards or so down the river?

Have you ever been hungry, poor and desperate? Thought not.

Loykratong is a fundrising bussiness for the temples. As a matter of fact. I have seen and visited a lot of temples during these celebrations.

Everything focuses on money, money. Nothing for free, or for the real spirit.

And after that, go to the big IT centers. You will find a lot of orange dresses men going shopping for the newest highend IT gadgets. ......

To study the spirit of Buddha all these expensive highend computers, notebooks and I-phones are not need. A simple PC would do the same.

Anyway. Everybody must know by himself who he want to give his money.

Luckily, I do not belong to this religion.

I think he is the smart guy. The people throwing their money away are the idiots. How can it be stealing if the people threw it way and he picked it up? Certainly those putting the money in the water didn't expect it to come floating back so that they could put it back in their wallets

Sadly enough, they apparently DO expect to see it floating back ten-fold, either in this life or in their next life as a sick buffalo or something.

My first (and last) Loy Kratong, I went with a gal to the beach. She floated something all cutsey out there with candles on it & it got devoured by the waves in about 5.3 seconds flat.

I just thought to myself "OOO-Kay then. This makes no sense".

..steal any amount and get jail time....a police record....and pay a fine....if not 2 years in jail.....

....apologize....and mention a baby......go free.....

...at 100% employment.....why do so many people lie cheat and steal........

....no answer eh.......

...sick and pathetic.....

I don't see what the big issue was. He could have waited until everyone left. Where else would that money go? There is a lot of poverty and hunger creeping into Thailand. Wake up!

But over one million Cambodian/Myanmar workers fully employed in Thailand. The poverty and hunger in Thailand is only where the lazy , drunken, stupid people do not want to work and more happy to get drunk, steal , abuse their children. And, the poverty and hunger is NOT creeping in, it is (I'm happy to say) on the way out. But Thai people will always be Thai people... Remember, there is food everywhere in Thailand... just take a walk in the countryside... And you are right Somtam.... What is the issue..?"

It was a LAKE,I think he must have been pretty desperate to wade

in that putrid water for a few Bhat,don't you think.

regards Worgeordie

Despicable?

What the was he doing that was despicable?

What would have been the alternative to this man taking the money? Someone else doing it? Would they also be despicable? Or does doing it out of sight make it better?

If the man was so desperate that he resorted to this, maybe those floating the money away could have dug a bit deeper and given the man some money.

Or does giving a fellow human being money count less than floating it away on the river.

Edited by Bluespunk

Remind me again, which part of Buddhism does the Goddess of water belong to?

Similar part to that played by Santa in Christianity.
As reformed Christian, that's my entire argument, jc is just the naughty or nice inspector my Mama forgot to tell me to stop believing in at around 6. Frankly, I would much rather belive in Santa than that middle eastern hand me down hogwash.