Why is Samui so dangerous, and why is nothing being done about it?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly hedge my bets for survival in a bike vs bike crash rather higher than a bike vs car one. It's a no brainer. !!!

does your screen name pertain to any current condition you are suffering from?

Edited by Rooo

Most positions of importance on Samui are held by Samui born people who do not have very much experience of how things are done in progressive countries. Basically Samui people are coconut farmers, not many highly educated, very parochial and most seem to me to be related to everybody else who is Samui born , so what does this say. rolleyes.gif

Most positions of importance on Samui are held by Samui born people who do not have very much experience of how things are done in progressive countries. Basically Samui people are coconut farmers, not many highly educated, very parochial and most seem to me to be related to everybody else who is Samui born , so what does this say. rolleyes.gif

Only people with a house book on Samui is allowed to vote.

Well . . . there are a number of other places in the world where there has been limited contact with the world outside. Mountain regions of America, for instance, where everyone marries their cousins and plays banjos. What this says to me is that there is . . . . hmmm . . . a very slight possibility of a similar degradation of the gene pool. And they have really bad roads, too.whistling.gif

Edited by robsamui

I have just come back from a trip driving from Samui to Bangkok (via the Nathon - Donsak ferry) and what I would say is on the mainland the standard of driving and road sense is so much better than Samui. The standard of warnings for roadworks is also much better.

On Samui we have people driving cars too slowly that haven't had proper driving lessons so lack confidence which then causes frustration and the crazy drivers take over (Taxis, Songtaus, Minibuses, Others) trying to do outrageous maneuvers to overtake everyone despite there being no space to do so. Then we have a range of people on motorbikes, Thais with their own rules of the road and Farangs that are clueless in how to ride safely yet also carrying a couple of children on a bike without helmets .........

Samui is a dangerous place to drive or ride, particularly at night! Part of the reason is hiring cars and motorbikes / scooters on passport details alone, and partly the ridiculous soft light policy throughout Thailand, then add alcohol and under age riding. I witnessed a 10 year old girl struggling to ride a scooter yesterday on the Mainland, with no less than 3 other girls riding pillion !

Same on Samui ! Why no enforcement?

Samui is a dangerous place to drive or ride, particularly at night! Part of the reason is hiring cars and motorbikes / scooters on passport details alone, and partly the ridiculous soft light policy throughout Thailand, then add alcohol and under age riding. I witnessed a 10 year old girl struggling to ride a scooter yesterday on the Mainland, with no less than 3 other girls riding pillion !

»I witnessed a 10 year old girl struggling to ride a scooter yesterday on the Mainland, with no less than 3 other girls riding pillion !«

How does that make Samui more dangerous than the mainland...?

Renters have no obligation to check for valid driving licence, only the police.

Minors can not be fined in the kingdom..

There are many flaws in the outdated traffic laws.

Renters have no obligation to check for valid driving licence, only the police.

Minors can not be fined in the kingdom..

There are many flaws in the outdated traffic laws.

1. Renters (the person using the bike) have an obligation to ensure they are legal and within the parameters of their licence & travel insurance.

2. Service Providers (Owners of bikes, cars etc for hire) only have themselves to blame if their property is damaged if they haven't applied due diligence.

3. Parents can explain why their offspring are on the roads in event of accident. That's what insurers and/or their non Thai underwriters if necessary are for! It's also worth noting the oft overlooked relationship between policy holder (customer, be it fleet owner or individual) and insurer (paid to provide a service) when communicating with the latter.

Edited by evadgib

You could not pay me enough to go there and more so to ever want to live there for numerous reasons. Have witnessed at least four foreigners getting killed within a two week period. Likely drunk. Not too smart.

"Have witnessed at least blink.png four foreigners getting killed within a two week period. "

I am living in Samui full time for three years now.

I spend of course, almost every single day a little time on the roads, we have two motorbikes and a car.

In those three years I personally witnessed four accidents.

I certainly do not mean certain figures are not true, I wish to express my own experience dot.

Samui Times quotes hundreds of deaths per year. The numbers are staggering. The authorities and the media do everything in their power to hide it, including using Obama style numbers to fudge when they die, and not counting that as part of the total, if they die in the hospital or in route to the hospital, or a month later from the injuries. It is simply disingenuous, and dishonest. The problem is massive. Every government agency in Thailand, who is concerned with traffic safety should be working on this. The entire police force on Samui should be replaced with a far less lazy, and far more motivated force, that cares about public safety. The current force has shown over the course of many years, that safety is not their concern, on any level. Sack them immediately.

»I witnessed a 10 year old girl struggling to ride a scooter yesterday on the Mainland, with no less than 3 other girls riding pillion !«

That is far less common on the mainland, than it is on Samui. At least on the mainland the police will often stop children who are driving bikes, and ask them for their license. That NEVER happens on Samui. NEVER. Not a single speeding ticket or citation for reckless driving has ever been given in the history of Samui. It is almost as if the police pride themselves on their lack of concern.

• 2 weeks later...

"Have witnessed at least blink.png four foreigners getting killed within a two week period. "

I am living in Samui full time for three years now.

I spend of course, almost every single day a little time on the roads, we have two motorbikes and a car.

In those three years I personally witnessed four accidents.

I certainly do not mean certain figures are not true, I wish to express my own experience dot.

Samui Times quotes hundreds of deaths per year. The numbers are staggering. The authorities and the media do everything in their power to hide it, including using Obama style numbers to fudge when they die, and not counting that as part of the total, if they die in the hospital or in route to the hospital, or a month later from the injuries. It is simply disingenuous, and dishonest. The problem is massive. Every government agency in Thailand, who is concerned with traffic safety should be working on this. The entire police force on Samui should be replaced with a far less lazy, and far more motivated force, that cares about public safety. The current force has shown over the course of many years, that safety is not their concern, on any level. Sack them immediately.

That is far less common on the mainland, than it is on Samui. At least on the mainland the police will often stop children who are driving bikes, and ask them for their license. That NEVER happens on Samui. NEVER. Not a single speeding ticket or citation for reckless driving has ever been given in the history of Samui. It is almost as if the police pride themselves on their lack of concern.

Anti multiple postings before anyone has replied seems to be a sure sign of a vendetta against Samui, I really don't know why you still post on Samui forums?

As a resident on Samui I'd appreciate if on your last post on Samui forums you could give details of the 'staggering' numbers.

I know the roads on Samui are dangerous and have posted accordingly but I'd like to see the 'staggering' numbers please.

Samui Times quotes hundreds of deaths per year. The numbers are staggering. The authorities and the media do everything in their power to hide it, including using Obama style numbers to fudge when they die, and not counting that as part of the total, if they die in the hospital or in route to the hospital, or a month later from the injuries. It is simply disingenuous, and dishonest. The problem is massive. Every government agency in Thailand, who is concerned with traffic safety should be working on this. The entire police force on Samui should be replaced with a far less lazy, and far more motivated force, that cares about public safety. The current force has shown over the course of many years, that safety is not their concern, on any level. Sack them im

Anti multiple postings before anyone has replied seems to be a sure sign of a vendetta against Samui, I really don't know why you still post on Samui forums?

As a resident on Samui I'd appreciate if on your last post on Samui forums you could give details of the 'staggering' numbers.

I know the roads on Samui are dangerous and have posted accordingly but I'd like to see the 'staggering' numbers please.

Could I add politely, as a Samui resident I will have nothing against this one being THE last post of him, I am sure if OP could forget Samui once for all he would feel better.......................... maybe some of us too whistling.gif

Samui Times quotes hundreds of deaths per year. The numbers are staggering. The authorities and the media do everything in their power to hide it, including using Obama style numbers to fudge when they die, and not counting that as part of the total, if they die in the hospital or in route to the hospital, or a month later from the injuries. It is simply disingenuous, and dishonest. The problem is massive. Every government agency in Thailand, who is concerned with traffic safety should be working on this. The entire police force on Samui should be replaced with a far less lazy, and far more motivated force, that cares about public safety. The current force has shown over the course of many years, that safety is not their concern, on any level. Sack them im

Could I add politely, as a Samui resident I will have nothing against this one being THE last post of him, I am sure if OP could forget Samui once for all he would feel better.......................... maybe some of us too whistling.gif

I have a friend who worked for Samui Rescue for 6 years, he said the numbers were constantly being manipulated, and fudged by the quivering authorities, but that they averaged two deaths per day on the roads of Samui, over a five year period. It does sound like a lot. But, while I was there I rarely did not see an accident at least a few times a week, and I was just one guy on the road.

I will leave it alone at that, as my posts seem to offend. Just stating the facts as I saw them, while living there for ten years.

Spidermike

flyingdoc, on 11 Mar 2016 - 23:14

- - -

I think this one is me (khun Per)

- - -

Spidermike

- - -

I have a friend who worked for Samui Rescue for 6 years, he said the numbers were constantly being manipulated, and fudged by the quivering authorities, but that they averaged two deaths per day on the roads of Samui, over a five year period. It does sound like a lot. But, while I was there I rarely did not see an accident at least a few times a week, and I was just one guy on the road.

I will leave it alone at that, as my posts seem to offend. Just stating the facts as I saw them, while living there for ten years.

(I had to edit the quote blocks, as the number became more than allowed.)

Unfortunately I need to agree with SpiderMike in, that I have heard same figurs – up to 60 a month – but from another source; and that only those declared death at accident site counts in the official statistics as fatal traffic accidents. Of course I cannot say it's true – I found it extremely unbelievable in the beginning, but I may change my mind – and as SpiderMike I have also seen lots of accidents; fatal I believe, as either bodies are untouched and not moving, or covered with newspaper pages or whatever available. Some days I've seen up to 5 allegedly dead bodies on Samui roads, but of course there are also many days I don't see any; however I'm only driving around on the roads in average some 5-6 hours a week, maybe even less (my car drives around 8,000 km a year, and I'm not the only driver).

There is another poster in the Forum, who can explain the fatal numbers much better than I can.

When we had the printed weekly newspapers on Samui, it was stated the about 85 percent of the traffic accidents were Thais, and as reason for accidents the paper also wrote that around 85 percent was caused by alcohol or drugs; both figurs varied from month to month from some 78 to 88 percent, during the time I read the paper (probably almost as long as it was published). But the official traffic dead stats were very low, often 2-3 a month; it was said the total number was around 70 in a year. It's some years back the island had printed papers – think they both ceased 2011 or so, but I may remember wrong – so traffic has increased since; but when I suddenly read about 700 per year, I initially believed a "0" was misprinted...

But whom to blame is a more difficult question – the authorities for not doing anything to improve bad roads – or the drivers..?

Being a regular driver on Samui for more than 10 years, I've seen more "bad driving", in almost every thinkable aspect, than anywhere else in the World – some of the financially appreciated visitors are also extremely dangerous – so I think I have an imagination...whistling.gif

I have a friend who worked for Samui Rescue for 6 years, he said the numbers were constantly being manipulated, and fudged by the quivering authorities, but that they averaged two deaths per day on the roads of Samui, over a five year period.

Still the morgue on Samui can hold 30 people, get a grip on yourself and ask your friend where they put all the corpses....

Ask your self did he say per day or per month over the bar desk.

I lost a friend last month, and I can guarantee you the morgue was not full...

I have a friend who worked for Samui Rescue for 6 years, he said the numbers were constantly being manipulated, and fudged by the quivering authorities, but that they averaged two deaths per day on the roads of Samui, over a five year period.

Still the morgue on Samui can hold 30 people, get a grip on yourself and ask your friend where they put all the corpses....

You can defend Samui all you want. You can try to convince us that it is only a few people a month. You may Eventually get a Good Samaritan plaque from Ramnate. My friend did not have an agenda. Bodies can be sent anywhere, Surat, Nakhon, anywhere. The size of the morgue means NOTHING to us. 60 a month is 60 a month. It is an abomination on the part of the authorities, who take zero responsibility.

For me, its the Whole of ''Thailand''not just ''Samui''...

Yes, so true ! The entire country is broken regarding driving and accidents.

If Thailand ever becomes serious about traffic accidents Samui would be a great testing zone as it is like a mini country. Post signs and billboards regarding traffic deaths, setup police stop points to test for DUI, fine anyone without a license including kids, have school lectures about helmet use, laws requiring bars to stop serving drunks, make all tourists watch a 20 minute video about safe driving before they can rent a car or bike, etc etc .....

There are, I guess, one or two problems particular to Samui. The roads are, indeed dreadful and anyone unsuspecting can expect to find themselves sliding about on a sandy surface. The road from Lamai to Chawaeng is particularly bad. Construction work lugging debris about has not helped and it is true the traffic has increased.There are also some real tensions in Samui "society" and I don't mean between tourists and locals or Thai "immigrants". So there is considerable aggresssion mainly, of course. about land and money. Add in the cocktail of police, drugs, Thai driving, impatience, speed and alcohol! But I think it is probably no worse than anywhere else in LOS. I live in the Mukdahan, Renu, Nakhon Phanom area and my wife says 2 deaths a day at least, in this backwater, is par for the course. How do you know? I listen to the radio!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who has been on Samui for anytime at all knows it is definitely not per month. Minimum one per day. Rock bottom.

There are, I guess, one or two problems particular to Samui. The roads are, indeed dreadful and anyone unsuspecting can expect to find themselves sliding about on a sandy surface. The road from Lamai to Chawaeng is particularly bad. Construction work lugging debris about has not helped and it is true the traffic has increased.There are also some real tensions in Samui "society" and I don't mean between tourists and locals or Thai "immigrants". So there is considerable aggresssion mainly, of course. about land and money. Add in the cocktail of police, drugs, Thai driving, impatience, speed and alcohol! But I think it is probably no worse than anywhere else in LOS. I live in the Mukdahan, Renu, Nakhon Phanom area and my wife says 2 deaths a day at least, in this backwater, is par for the course. How do you know? I listen to the radio!

The poorly laid out roads in Chaweng and Bo Phud with their concrete electric poles set in the road are death traps and every night you see 50 % of bikes with NO lights, yet never a traffic policeman to be seen !