Retirement Visa

Does the Retirement Visa still have the option of either

800,000 Baht in the bank (for at least 3 months before applying)

OR

regular monthly income of at least 45,000 Baht

I understand that for the Non-Immigrant (supporting Thai wife) visa the only option now is "regular monthly income". But I just want to make sure that for new applicants for the Retirement Visa it will be good enough JUST to have enough money in the bank (which I do have).

A

Does the Retirement Visa still have the option of either

800,000 Baht in the bank (for at least 3 months before applying)

OR

regular monthly income of at least 45,000 Baht

I understand that for the Non-Immigrant (supporting Thai wife) visa the only option now is "regular monthly income". But I just want to make sure that for new applicants for the Retirement Visa it will be good enough JUST to have enough money in the bank (which I do have).

A

As far as I am understand the situation, the requirements for a retirement extension are as you state above, although the monthly income is ฿65,000 not ฿45,000.

Edit: You could of course use a combination of capital and income should circumstances dictate

Edited by Noel

The only change for retirement that we are aware of is that the medical certificate no longer seems to be required; and the three month account balance if using that method.

Question: If going for a one year extension based on retirement for the FIRST TIME with a Non-immigrant O visa in Thailand using the 800K bank account, is it still required that the money be there for 90 days BEFORE?

Edited by Thaiquila

I don't believe it is being enforced yet for anyone - what the story will be later don't know but do not believe it will be a requirement for first application - but if it is they may provide 30 day extensions until you meet the requirement (but that is just a crystal ball guess/suggestion).

Amnat

From what Amnat said, does it mean that we cannot use the 400k anymore for the support Thai wife as he mentioned "the only option".

To what I know, 400k option is still there, no ?

Some said that it must be in the bank 3 months before application ? In the past, this is not needed. Can someone please help to clarify this ?

Thank you

I and my Thai wife have been married for fourteen years and lived in the US for ten years, before I retired and moved to Thailand. We have allways had a joint bank account, usuall for most couples I think. They accepted the joint account, when I first applied for a retirement visa in the US and each year after that when I renewed it in Thailand. This year they refused and said the account has to be in my name only. I did this and got the visa, but am not comfortable about it. I am working out a new plan for next year, not sure what yet, but I resent them telling me what to do with my ( and my wifes ) money. If I fall ill or die, it makes it harder for her to deal with things, what would be some advise from you all, about this issue.

Use your pension income as the basis of your support. No need for any bank account minimum if that meets the requirements.

Otherwise link the account so wife can transfer with your ATM card. I suspect that you can also designate a "pay on death beneficiary" just as in the USA but have not checked that option. My account is joint, on retirement, but using pension income.

Use your pension income as the basis of your support. No need for any bank account minimum if that meets the requirements.

Otherwise link the account so wife can transfer with your ATM card. I suspect that you can also designate a "pay on death beneficiary" just as in the USA but have not checked that option. My account is joint, on retirement, but using pension income.

Thanks for the info, do I understand corectly that your pension income is put into a join account?

I was thinking of having a bank account with say 400,000 B, and pension income added to the same account, with a flow of money coming in and out. I think my pension money will fall just a bit short of the requierd amount.

When I transfer funds it is into a joint account. Believe if you need to use account for a shortfall you will probably have to have double the required amount on deposit but believe if you do it would be accepted, by most. But probably best to go with what you were told and just set up easy access for the wife if unable to meet requirements with income paper.

When I transfer funds it is into a joint account. Believe if you need to use account for a shortfall you will probably have to have double the required amount on deposit but believe if you do it would be accepted, by most. But probably best to go with what you were told and just set up easy access for the wife if unable to meet requirements with income paper.

Thank you for the information, but I guess I need it spelled out for me.

Is this the case?

1- Deposit account-- If you have a joint account, do you need double the amount for yourself, say 1,600,000 instead of 800,000 Baht?

2- Income Account-- If you have a joint account can you, deposit the 65,000 Baht a month income to it , or does this deposit need to be doubled also?

3- If I have joint deposit account, and have to make up an income shortfall, you would need twice the amount since it is a joint account?

Sorry if this is getting confusing, it would be nice if immigration would spell out the rules a little better. Thanks again.

1. We do not know what a specific office/officer will want. But under Thai law believe only half of a joint account would belong to you so expect you would need twice the amount compaired to an account only in your name.

2. You do not have to deposit any set amount. Income is determined by Embassy letter and if asked for pension or other documents.

3. Twice as much in a joint account would be a logical assumption.

Thanks for that.

Any definitive word on whether the MEDICAL form is required for FIRST TIME applicants IN Thailand?

I don't think anybody's ferreted out the definitive answer for you, ThaiQuila, but this medical form is the 60-baht cert that means you don't have the short list of diseases that you surely don't have. If I were you (ha!) I'd get two of them, and use the medical certs for driving licenses as well, or work permit, or whatever.

Question: If going for a one year extension based on retirement for the FIRST TIME with a Non-immigrant O visa in Thailand using the 800K bank account, is it still required that the money be there for 90 days BEFORE?

Yes. However not if you are changing from another visa/ stamp to a non-O. This will change around Nov. 15th to include the change of visa to a non-o requiring the 800K for three months.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

1- Deposit account-- If you have a joint account, do you need double the amount for yourself, say 1,600,000 instead of 800,000 Baht?

The law states now it can only be in your name.( unless they make an exception for you)

- Income Account-- If you have a joint account can you, deposit the 65,000 Baht a month income to it , or does this deposit need to be doubled also?

Get a letter from the Embassy then no problem.

3- If I have joint deposit account, and have to make up an income shortfall, you would need twice the amount since it is a joint account?

See above

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Yes. However not if you are changing from another visa/ stamp to a non-O. This will change around Nov. 15th to include the change of visa to a non-o requiring the 800K for three months.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks, but still confused.

What do you think will happen with this scenario in the near future:

No previous O visa or retirement extension (first timer).

Enter with single entry non-immigrant O visa obtained from OUTSIDE Thailand.

After two months, apply for retirement one year extension based on bank account, with the money being in the Thai bank account for only about 60 days, NOT 90 days.

Will the 90 day rule be followed in such a case? If so, do you think they will grant 30 day under review stamps until the money is seasoned over 90 days, or will I have to leave Thailand and get another O visa in Penang (if possible)?

Thanks for your help. I am kind of freaking out about this. Best laid plans and all that ...

Edited by Thaiquila

After two months, apply for retirement one year extension based on bank account, with the money being in the Thai bank account for only about 60 days, NOT 90 days.

Will the 90 day rule be followed in such a case?

yes

If so, do you think they will grant 30 day under review stamps until the money is seasoned over 90 days, or will I have to leave Thailand and get another O visa in Penang (if possible)?

Get a multi entry O visa in your home country and then just do a visa run after 90 days. Apply on the second 90 day entry.

Second option, apply for a O-A retirement visa in your home country. Get a one year visa at the airport when you arrive.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt, too late for me to apply for a multi entry O visa as I am flying soon, so what I do have is a SINGLE entry O visa.

When you say YES I do see you mean they will enforce the 90 days, but assuming that, do you think they will grant an under review stamp to keep my single entry O visa alive until the money is seasoned the full 90 days?

Failing that, do you think if I can show the money to Penang, will I have any problem getting another single O visa in Penang?

I was under the previous impression that immigration was showing some discretion in cases where the person couldn't have possibly known about the rule (90 day money seasoning) in time to comply with it. Such as, be sure to have it in there early NEXT year. So you are saying, no such chance?

Edited by Thaiquila

Thanks for your help. I am kind of freaking out about this. Best laid plans and all that ...

Is there any reason for you not transferring the funds (from overseas of course) 30 days earlier?

If there is, then I would suggest applying for a multiple Non-Immigrant 'O' and if asked why, simply explain the new rule as you understand it, and hence your concerns.

If your basis is for application is legit, I doubt you will have much of a problem.

When you say YES I do see you mean they will enforce the 90 days,

Yes they will enforce the 90 day rule.

but assuming that, do you think they will grant an under review stamp to keep my single entry O visa alive until the money is seasoned the full 90 days?

The rule is quite clear. 90 days. The only exception has been with old applicants before Oct 1st.

(4) Having the records of saving money in the latest 3 months of account book of any Bank in Thailand not less than 800,000 Baht.

If you can't get the multi-entry and have the single entry already. The best advice is don't use the single 90 day visa then at all. Arrive on the 30 day stamp. Then do the change of the visa in Thailand. You'll get the 90 day stamp( before Nov 15th) and then the extension of stay after the 90 days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

but assuming that, do you think they will grant an under review stamp to keep my single entry O visa alive until the money is seasoned the full 90 days?

The rule is quite clear. 90 days. The only exception has been with old applicants before Oct 1st.

(4) Having the records of saving money in the latest 3 months of account book of any Bank in Thailand not less than 800,000 Baht.

If you can't get the multi-entry and have the single entry already. The best advice is don't use the single 90 day visa then at all. Arrive on the 30 day stamp. Then do the change of the visa in Thailand. You'll get the 90 day stamp( before Nov 15th) and then the extension of stay after the 90 days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hi Sunbelt Thanks for all your clear direct answers, I try to read em all so that I can plan my pending escape from London. Can I explain my intentions re visa ect and get your valued opinion

I will be 50 on 22 Dec next year but wish to live in Thailand and Marry EARLY next year (say feb/march) I think it best to apply for a 1yr non Imm 'O' visa in UK,then report to Immigration each 90 days.I will have 2Million Bht in bank(UK or Thai?) and upon my 50th will get a monthly pension of approx 40k Bht.DO I NEED TO RETURN TO UK TO GET INCOME LETTER re monthly income for 'O' married to Thai Visa or go for an OA ??I dont want to 'UP STICKS' TOO EARLY and be forced to return to UK. Your guidance will help me sleep at night !!!!!! :o

Edited by Dave the Dude

Another question: If you need to have 800k in your bank account 3 months before you apply for your first extension, does that 800k have to remain in the account until the extension is applied for/granted or can you start using it as living expenses as soon as it arrives in your account from overseas?

Another question: If you need to have 800k in your bank account 3 months before you apply for your first extension, does that 800k have to remain in the account until the extension is applied for/granted or can you start using it as living expenses as soon as it arrives in your account from overseas?

The corresponding clause in the English translation of the National Police Office Order No. 606/2006 reads as follows:

Having the records of saving money in the latest 3 months of account book of any Bank in Thailand not less than 800,000 Baht

I interpret this to mean that

– if I put only 800K in the bank, the whole amount needs to remain there during the 90 days until I can apply for extension and until the application is approved

– if I put a higher amount in the bank, for example 1 million, I can use part of this money for my living expenses, on condition that the amount never drops below 800K during the 90 days until I can apply for extension and until the application is approved

---------------

Maestro

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks again, Sunbelt.

I am still confused.

What I think you suggested is this:

1) Arrive with my single entry 90 day visa at the airport

2) Do not write the visa number on my entry card, and talk to the immigration guy and make sure he understands that I don't want him to use that visa for that entry; instead I want a 30 day stamp

3) Go to immigration before Nov 15th and apply for CHANGE of the 30 day stamp to a NEW 90 day O visa

4) Would I also apply for the extension of stay at the same time (before Nov 15) or would that be done after 60 days in Thailand on that visa? My qualifying funds would not be seasoned 90 days before Nov 15.

THIS brings up another idea I had which I like better; can you please tell me if you think this would work? It sounds cleaner to me, and is a variation of your suggestion:

1) Arrive with my single entry 90 day visa at the airport

2) Do not write the visa number on my entry card, and talk to the immigration guy and make sure he understands that I don't want him to use that visa for that entry; instead I want a 30 day stamp

3) Exit Thailand before 30 days and take a nice one week trip in a neighboring country

4) Arrive back in Thailand and at that time USE my original single entry O visa. It will be still be valid (assuming the original immigration guy didn't cancel it).

5) In this scenario, by the time I apply for the one year extension, my funds would be seasoned over 90 days.

Edited by Thaiquila

Is there any reason for you not transferring the funds (from overseas of course) 30 days earlier?

If there is, then I would suggest applying for a multiple Non-Immigrant 'O' and if asked why, simply explain the new rule as you understand it, and hence your concerns.

If your basis is for application is legit, I doubt you will have much of a problem.

The reason that I didn't transfer my funds 30 days earlier is that these rules are so new I couldn't have possibly known about them when I made my plans! I could have easily transferred the money in earlier and/or gotten a multi-entry O visa, but again, the rules appeared after I had made all my plans (travel tickets, financial, visas) and it is now too late.

The plans I made were 100 percent reasonable and legit and within the rules at the TIME I made them, but having a psychic ability about sudden changes in the rules after I have made my arrangements is a gift I sadly lack!

Edited by Thaiquila

The reason that I didn't transfer my funds 30 days earlier is that these rules are so new I couldn't have possibly known about them when I made my plans! I could have easily transferred the money in earlier and/or gotten a multi-entry O visa, but again, the rules appeared after I had made all my plans (travel tickets, financial, visas) and it is now too late.

The plans I made were 100 percent reasonable and legit and within the rules at the TIME I made them, but having a psychic ability about sudden changes in the rules after I have made my arrangements is a gift I sadly lack!

Fair enough, but mind reading is also a gift I sadly lack! :o

Your question appeared to concern a future scenario, not a done deal.