New house + 1Rai of land = What to grow ?

Once Bitten

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see: 1 Rai of land to supplement income (Beer Money). After deducting cost, the revenue generated will not be sufficient to turn him into an alcoholic.biggrin.png

Cheers.

Seems everyone tom dick n harry who has land in issan think they can make money off it. Dont they see poor neighbors all around them, prolly most w larger plots.

Do the same thing everyone else is doing and expecting a different result than them in sheer lunacy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Once Bitten

I have a one rai Suaan close to my house that I use for growing veggies etc that we use at the house,I have my gym and workshop there as well.I planted 50 Lime trees there about a year ago and they have produced around 80kg of Lime in the last couple of months and the trees are still full,I planted them all in circular concrete rings,25 with no concrete base and 25 with,I havn't noticed a difference as of yet with the bases,but with bases they are supposed to produce more Lime.I get 50 baht a kilo at the gate and they will keep on giving so I'm thinking of planting another rai of Lime trees.

I also have around 100 papaya trees which get cut down and regrown,15 mango (Mangos are growing regular) and 15 lichee trees( No lichee as of yet),and I have planted 60 pineapple trees in around the other trees about 6 months ago and I have just had my first Pineapple!!( I thought they were dead they werent doing much).

And my father in law grows string beans, lettuce,cucumber,Chilis,lemon grass etc.I also have 6x4 meter concrete ponds which I keep Pladuc,Plasawai and Pla Mor,as you can see everything I grow doesn't need much attention especially now as its the rainy season,feed the fish cut the grass and some weeding and water changes.

Its my first year just passed with the fish and I have sold only Pla Duc as I want the Pla sawai to grow to about 2kg,I bought 5000 Pladuc to start for 40satang each from the government fisheries and they weren't great they were very slow to grow,so I bought 2500 more at 2baht each from a girl local to me and they grew quick, I have nearly sold all my Pla Duc now and I have made my money back for the fish/food and some of the money for the construction of that pond,I was selling them at the gate for 60baht a kilo.

I'm not sure whether to grow more Pla Duc,Maybe I will do one more season with that pond and change to some type of Carp to see how that goes,

Anyway just wanted to give you some ideas.

I'm not out to make a great deal of money,just to keep busy although it is nice when you get some money back for something you have done yourself,

I have just bought a farm so now I'm researching what I would like to do with that myself,

Best of luck on your Adventure!!

P.s (I tried Chickens a few year ago and they were a pain in the ass..they ate more food than they were worth.)

Edited by Chowna

I'd keep the labor down by planting fruit trees.
Plant what you like to eat.
You'll be happier that way.
Mango, mangosteen, lime, rambutan, would be my choices.
Maybe try a little avocado as I love them, but, hear they are hard to grow in Thailand.
Good luck.