Thai govt's effort to boost tourism: Special report

webfact

Special Report: Govt's Effort to Boost Tourism

t.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed all relevant agencies to proceed with their plans to promote tourism. The ways to promote tourism should also be adjusted in response to the demand of the new generation.

Government Spokesman Major General Sansern Kaewkamnerd quoted the Prime Minister as saying that the number of international tourists visiting Thailand has been on the rise. The Cabinet has approved several measures and projects for tourism promotion. The Prime Minister wanted to see the progress of the implementation of these measures and projects. Among them is the organizing of the festival "Thailand: Marina Hub of ASEAN” from January to February 2016 in Phuket.

He pointed out that the project must link with various countries, especially Singapore. The issues concerning marine tourism and coastal tourism have already been raised for discussion with Vietnam.

The Prime Minister also heard a report from Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul that international tourist arrivals in Thailand now stand at 29.5 million, exceeding the target of 28.8 million set at the beginning of 2015. About 24.7 million international tourists visited Thailand in 2014.

Meanwhile, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), in cooperation with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, announced the launch of the 36th Thailand Tourism Festival, to be held from 13 to 17 January 2016 at Lumphini Park in Bangkok. The five-day Thai tourism showcase is aimed at attracting local residents and tourists from all corners of the world.

According to TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn, the festival will provide a platform to raise awareness of Thai culture, traditions, heritage, and simple ways of life. It will also stimulate travel driven by the unique identities of multicultural communities across Thailand.

Following the success of the Thailand Tourism Festival 2015, the Thailand Tourism Festival 2016 will not only highlight colorful festivals and vibrant local fairs from all parts of the country all year round, but will also underline the beautiful Thai way of life, along with world-famous Thai hospitality.

Mr. Yuthasak said that TAT plans to elevate this festival to an international level and to develop a further understanding of environmental mindfulness among Thai tourists. Campaigns will be launched for no littering, no drinking alcohol, and no smoking at tourist sites. Thai people will also be encouraged to be good hosts and join in the country’s sustainable tourism development, so that Thailand retains its position as the leading destination in ASEAN.

It is expected that thousands of local residents and international visitors will come along and take part in discovering the latest in Thailand’s tourism offerings during the five-day event.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-30 footer_n.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a good idea, to generate the tourism industry and focus on new tourist or a specific country for their people to visit the LOS, but the real challenge or goal is to get those people to return next year and for them to tell their freinds and family to come back and to continue to return.

And for me the main way to do that is to have the tourists to enjoy thier stay and not feeling that they just got ripped off by a street vendor, taxi driver etc... in a place that has dirty streets and Rowdy expat hayhoos, who are frequently seen peeing and mis behaving in the middle of the street.http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855936-urinating-brits-visit-pattaya-police-station-following-viral-facebook-video/

Espessialy if you want people from Singapore to visit as they will be comming from a country that has clean streets, public toilets, strict and enforced rules on public behaviour, I have spoken to a few tourists from Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau who have visited the LOS and they all sing that same tune, Its dirty, got ripped off, didn't trust the taxi driver, scary bad street behaviour, didn't feel safe at night.

Thats what they need to focus on and the only way to do that is to start with a big broom and start sweeping out the tourist areas of these issues.

Stop smoking in public areas and street drinking yes, but don't stop drinking and smoking in tourist areas e.g in pubs, clubs, resturants and places of entertanment unless you completely want to change the type of people you want touring the LOS

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

Edited by Rocceao

Not sure who are the people that propose all of these silly and stupid idea? who are they? people who knows

crap all about tourism? people who want to ruin Thailand tourism? people who grew in temples

and monasteries? (not that they any better than the average man in the street when it come to vices)

or just a bunch of shit for brains bureaucrats? and the most astonishing fact is that people in the government

even considering such crazy ideas.

Tourism is about fun and having a good time which includes having a good glass of wine with an nice meal having a alcoholic drink at a nice beach with friends having a night out at an entertainment zone because there is no worrying about going to work the next day. Most western tourist are not Muslims where alcohol is against their religious faith,

In fact in western culture drinking a good glass of wine, cocktail, is considered to be high-class socializing which goes in a modest amount for beer etc also.

If you want to lure tourists start to give them what they want for sample

clean save beaches, clean toilet facilities , beach chairs umbrellas older tourists with back problems are not fond of laying on a towel in the sand, food drinks.

Better to start with to clean you roads beaches from rubbish littering to lure tourists

I am a non smoker and non drinker. And even I cannot comprehend why we should force visitors to do certain things like this. On top of that the early closing hours in Chiang Mai. Great way to make sure they'll never come back.

Easy way to get more tourists? Make sure the Baht devalues.

From where I come from, hospitality means among other things to treat guests to a nice glass of wine and if they like to smoke you offer them an ashtray. In Thailand these seem to be two real evil things that must be avoided by all means. Perhaps it is time for many (European) tourists to avoid Thailand.

When they arrive at a tourist attraction charge them double.

They tried non smoking indoors 12 years ago. Like everything else, it lasted 5 mins.

Where do they get these adhoc ideas from.

Here's some rational ideas for ya. Punish the cheats. Jail the corrupt. Allow free speech. Regulate the garbage on TV.

Another "Öpen-mouth-before-engaging-brain"-idea!. Good for me though. Sites with no Chinese, no Japanese, no Koreans or other Asians. No Arabs or other middle-easterns, no French, Spanish , Italians etc. I can have the place to myself, two Brits and a Swede!. Pity I don't go to tourist sites much now.

"Come to Thailand & make yourself at home........... Unless you smoke or drink alcohol at home.........! I do not fancy the idea of people wandering round a temple with a can of Heine in their hand but we don't see it now, do we. But smokers trapped in a bus for 2 hours just leap out to light up.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Hey c,mon ! Is there a new April !st ! Thailand seems to be trying to attract the scum of the Earth, the dregs of Calcutta, and lowlife from various parts of the world including China. Without alcohol this place would fall flat on it,s face, it,s what makes the overweight gogo girls barely bearable !

NO SMOKING!!!!!! NO DRINKING !!! OMG, they claim to want tourists. Maybe Thailand will become like Singapore and place high fines if one allows themsleves to have a rest, a smoke, a drink.

You missed FUN

Singapore gets a lot of tourists but no they dont allow smoking in public places and you cant stagger along a street drunk. If you want a drink then go to a bar or a restaurant, no problem. You feel that is wrong? If so I guess you are one of the people that give all foreigners a bad name

Completely forbidding is not good

But setting smoking areas that non smokers and kids can avoid is a must.

Most smokers litter too.I catch a few daily .but they deny .

Moderate drinking is ok.but winos I also not want to see them when I leisurely visit.

It is the times where smokers are pariahs

And drinks in moderation is forethought you are free to do whatever you like in your own space

NO SMOKING!!!!!! NO DRINKING !!! OMG, they claim to want tourists. Maybe Thailand will become like Singapore and place high fines if one allows themsleves to have a rest, a smoke, a drink.

Sometimes, I get the impression that the Thai government is making special efforts to reduce the number of foreign tourists arriving in Thailand, the latest example being the abolition of some types of tourist visas.