Recommendations for DTAC SIM cards and minor phone repairs Jomtien

DowntownAl

I guess the subject header pretty much says what I'm looking for. Just got back to Thailand a few hours ago, popped in my DTAC SIM and found out it no longer works. I've used the same card for over 3 years replacing it with a Canadian one when there and using the DTAC one when here. Sigh...from what I've read, the powers that be have started enforcing the registration rule. The clerk at the front desk of the hotel I'm in tonight said people all over Thailand had their SIM cards die a few months ago.

Anyway, I'll be checking into Lek Jomtien Hotel tomorrow and will need to get the phone up and running so I can find a place to live for the next 9+ months. Any good tech savvy shops in the neighbourhood who can fix me up with a pre-paid DTAC – all legal like – (I would really like to keep the number I had as well) and fix the volume button on my iPhone. They just don't bounce off marble tiled floors like they used to.

Thanks

If you don't care about what mobile number you use, buy one at a 7-11. Not the Tourist SIM. Expires quickly. Every mall has a DTAC kiosk where you can buy a SIM and sign up for a prepaid plan. The DTAC web page is offered entirely in English. Check the prepaid plans there. I've been happily using DTAC for a couple of years now.

If you don't care about what mobile number you use, buy one at a 7-11. Not the Tourist SIM. Expires quickly. Every mall has a DTAC kiosk where you can buy a SIM and sign up for a prepaid plan. The DTAC web page is offered entirely in English. Check the prepaid plans there. I've been happily using DTAC for a couple of years now.

I would definitely recommend the True inter-Tourist SIM despite it's quick expiry as you can make calls to the US and Australia for 1 baht per minute. I use it all the time and the calls are clear. It's great for banking calls to Australia where you expect you'll be on hold for ever. You can call landline or mobiles in the US for 1 baht/min..., and similar cheap prices to other countries.

I would definitely recommend the True inter-Tourist SIM despite it's quick expiry as you can make calls to the US and Australia for 1 baht per minute. I use it all the time and the calls are clear. It's great for banking calls to Australia where you expect you'll be on hold for ever. You can call landline or mobiles in the US for 1 baht/min..., and similar cheap prices to other countries.

That's a good deal. On DTAC it's 2.5 baht to Canada using the 004 prefix. Used to be 4 bt.

How quick is expiry? My cards always expire as I only visit about once a year. I don't care about the number always being different. In the past I just arrive, buy a sim and sometimes if lucky can just load up the old sim. Are you saying we don't have to go through the registration process with these SIMs?

Back in BKK got a 7 day tourist SIM as well as a new card that will have my old number accessible in 3 days. All SIM cards are registered now, takes about 10 seconds for them to do at the counter. Just a photocopy of your passport, and done. According to the instructions the tourist SIM can be topped up, stays valid 45 days after top up, after that, without top up, it dies.

Now for that repair tech in Jomtien area.

How quick is expiry? My cards always expire as I only visit about once a year. I don't care about the number always being different. In the past I just arrive, buy a sim and sometimes if lucky can just load up the old sim. Are you saying we don't have to go through the registration process with these SIMs?

The last time I loaded it (actually called a "3G Tourist Inter SIM") I got 3 months before the credit expires. I'm not sure how long it is until the number expires, but it's longer than I thought as I went away for 5 months earlier this year and still kept my number.

The Dtac SIMs expire more quickly than they used to. I used to be able to buy expiry time, but that feature is now gone.

I managed to retrieve an expired Dtac number earlier this year by making a request at the Dtac center. Success depends on whether or not it has been reallocated, but it is worth a try if you really want to keep a number.

You can register a Dtac SIM at 7Elevens (when you buy them) with only a copy of your passport. At the Dtac center they need to see the original.

The last time I loaded it (actually called a "3G Tourist Inter SIM") I got 3 months before the credit expires. I'm not sure how long it is until the number expires, but it's longer than I thought as I went away for 5 months earlier this year and still kept my number.

The Dtac SIMs expire more quickly than they used to. I used to be able to buy expiry time, but that feature is now gone.

I managed to retrieve an expired Dtac number earlier this year by making a request at the Dtac center. Success depends on whether or not it has been reallocated, but it is worth a try if you really want to keep a number.

You can register a Dtac SIM at 7Elevens (when you buy them) with only a copy of your passport. At the Dtac center they need to see the original.

I went in June to the Dtac Shop in Central on the 3. floor. They did extend it, for a small fee, to one year. Will do the same at the end of my holiday. Should it not be possible, I will give a info here.

I went in June to the Dtac Shop in Central on the 3. floor. They did extend it, for a small fee, to one year. Will do the same at the end of my holiday. Should it not be possible, I will give a info here.

I might depend on what SIM you have. I used to be able to buy up to one year's validity extension by calling a code. That doesn't work now. Now they can steal our credit after a short period, or force us to use it, or force us to top up.

Edited by tropo

I might depend on what SIM you have. I used to be able to buy up to one year's validity extension by calling a code. That doesn't work now. Now they can steal our credit after a short period, or force us to use it, or force us to top up.

I think I got a Happy SIM from Dtac. Just found a code that is actually working, I tested it. Do the following:

Press *113*(followed by the number of days 30/60/90/180)*9# Example if you want an extension by 90 days type:*113*90*9# then call

*9# at the end will give you the confirmation in english (with all codes from dtac)

I think I got a Happy SIM from Dtac. Just found a code that is actually working, I tested it. Do the following:

Press *113*(followed by the number of days 30/60/90/180)*9# Example if you want an extension by 90 days type:*113*90*9# then call

*9# at the end will give you the confirmation in english (with all codes from dtac)

Thanks! They are the same codes I had minus the *9. It costs 12 baht to extend by 180 days, the max extension you can add.