Tabian baan as a renter

Question: (How) Is it possible for my wife to apply for her own tabian baan on a property we are renting ?

--------------------------------------------------------

We have been renting a townhouse for 5-6 years now, we originally signed a one year contract and since then it's been from month to month. ( read: we don't have a contract )

The landlord is a pretty slack guy, he's got multiple other developments he can't sell and can't find a tenant for the house next door - so I don't worry about the contract.

He will not allow my wife's name to be added to the tabian baan, I don't know why .. Maybe superstition, maybe he sees the house as old and used if he adds a first name. He proposed that my wife's name be added to his blue book - which is not illegal, plenty of Thais live in a house and they are registered at their families home in another province.

So, I have a scan of the first and second pages of his tabian baan and my wives ID card, whenever It's needed by immigration or for a visa a savannakhet I just print off the copy and hand them over. I have used them for a TM30, visa, cert res to obtain a driving license and transfer bikes to my name ( all to address I don't live at ).

Now, I know this is not totally correct, but the system is broken .. It all stems from the thai tradition of being registered somewhere, needing a photocopy of your tabian baan and a corresponding ID card.

My wife could insist on getting her name in the book and his answer would be "move" which we don't want to do.

A poster on another thread informed me that my wife could get a tabian baan for herself as a renter at the ampur ?? Is this possible ? And how ? ( without the cooperation of the landlord )

Edited by recom273

As stated, if the owner does not agree then your wife cannot be added to the book. There is no way for her to get a new book as a renter.

The landlord has absolute control over this.

The reason might be tax. If he is not declaring the income then adding a different surname in an empty book kind of gives the game away. If he adds your wife to his own book it doesn't matter as he does not have to pay tax on his primary residence.