Bank Statement for Visa Extension

Checked with immigration on what I need to do my first visa extension. They want money in the bank, that's fine. But they want the bank statement dated and stamped by the bank the same day I appear. My problem is my bank is not in the same town as immigration. And the bank branch near immigration cannot stamp if the account is not at that branch. This will require some early morning driving. After I got home I started to wonder if they would accept a printout from my online bank account. That would be easier.

Has anybody tried this successfully - used an account printout in lieu of a photocopy of the banking passbook?

Normally they just want copies of your bank book updated on the date you apply. Never heard of them wanting the copy stamped by the bank.

You could make a 100 baht deposit at a cash deposit machine and then get your bank book updated. . If you have another account you could transfer the money into to that account using online banking and then run your book through the update machine.

I have a similar problem......my bank is 100km from the Immigration office....always have to wait for the bank doors to open on the fateful day, then make a mad dash to get to Immigration before their lunch break....traffic is always a bugbear.

Am interested to see how you go with the printout.

Good luck.

I just reread the information sheet the immigration lady gave me. It says the bank "letter" must be within the last 7 days. That's more reasonable. So is this same day requirement something new?

Depends on your immigration office. Go by what your immigration offices wants not what another immigration offices does. 7 day old bank letter is a big plus for you. As UJ said make sure your bank book is updated.

Edited by khwaibah

CW now asking for bank letter to be dated SAME day as visa extension. Not fun if one's bank does not have a branch at CW

Have seen reports of CW accepting a letter dated the day before the application but they had to update the bank book on the date of application,

Many offices want the letter to be done no later than than the day before you apply. I do not know of any that want it on the same day. I think you may be confusing the letter with the bank book copies.

I think I did misunderstand. So they want two documents - a bank letter and a copy of the updated bank book. Is that right?

Sakhon Nakhon immigration wanted the letter stamped on the day of the application together with a transaction done on the bank book on the day of the application.

My branch of SCB is in Bangkok, but SCB accepts these letters to be done at any branch throughout Thailand. The guy at SCB even proposed to copy all my documents again to make sure they were in order for immigration.

Edited by JoeW

Sakhon Nakhon immigration wanted the letter stamped on the day of the application together with a transaction done on the bank book on the day of the application.

My branch of SCB is in Bangkok, but SCB accepts these letters to be done at any branch throughout Thailand. The guy at SCB even proposed to copy all my documents again to make sure they were in order for immigration.

We've always got the bank letter the day before and ATM slip or updated bank book on the immigration attendance date. We did that last time in late October, letter/ATM slip was accepted but then the samut prakarn immigration lady noticed a typo in the letter, so we had to nip in to the local scb meung branch for a corrected replacement letter then back to the immigration (nice immigration lady allowed my wife to resume my application process as soon as we returned without waiting or queing again which was nice of her - my wife has gone out of her way over the years to befriend the immigration lady, it seems to pay off), but they may have changed their requirements since our October visit

SCB can do a letter for you in any branch if you present your bank book and passport. As noted above, had to get a letter twice because of typo. It took each branch between 30-40 minutes to prepare a letter of about 3-5 lines. Think it cost me baht 200 per letter.

]

You need both the letter and copies of the updated bank book. The letter can be done the day before. The bank book will need to be updated and copies of it made on the date you apply for the extension.

Jomtien immigration accepted the bank letter AND the updated bank book with the day before the application, did not even raise a single eyebrow

Here is the thing:

my immigration office (in the south) wanted an updated bank book of the same day (no problem, just deposit or withdraw 100thb) PLUS a bank statement signed by the bank of the same day with exactly the same amount as in the bank book.

The problem: the bank statement system can only show the number of the previous day not the actual day...Useless to try to explain that to immigration that whether the number in the statement and bank book should be irrelevant as long as both show sufficient funds over the required period of time...

What we did is, we withdrew and deposited 100thb on the same day so that the bank statement of the previous day show the same number as in the bank book.

Just curious, how others manage -or is there a bank in Thailand which can actually provide an updated statement of the same day and not previous day)?

Here is the thing:

my immigration office (in the south) wanted an updated bank book of the same day (no problem, just deposit or withdraw 100thb) PLUS a bank statement signed by the bank of the same day with exactly the same amount as in the bank book.

The problem: the bank statement system can only show the number of the previous day not the actual day...Useless to try to explain that to immigration that whether the number in the statement and bank book should be irrelevant as long as both show sufficient funds over the required period of time...

What we did is, we withdrew and deposited 100thb on the same day so that the bank statement of the previous day show the same number as in the bank book.

Just curious, how others manage -or is there a bank in Thailand which can actually provide an updated statement of the same day and not previous day)?

I did withdraw and deposit 1'000 baht the same day at Bangkok Bank counter, they updated my bank book, added a "current balance" line, gave me the letter, all wothin 15 minutes.

IF Jomtien would have the same-day restriction, I could do it 08:30 morning and be in immigration within 30 minutes (yes, all is close for me here in Pattaya).

SCB btw ALSO updates passbooks in real time, just do it at the counter of the bank where your account is held.

The passbook is updated in real time but the requested printed statement by the bank is not

Sorry, completely wrong. I did sit at the bank counter, they updated my bank book with the latest transactions, they made a "current balance" line in the book as well and immediately filled out the standard bank letter with exactly the same numbers and same day AND TIME as the last entry in the passbook

If that is not real time, then I have missed something..

Yes, Standard Bank letter they did with the same numbers as in bank book but PRINTED STATEMENT (new request by my immigration office from this year) from their system could only print the balance from previous day, which does not match if I withdrew/deposit money at the present day (Kasikorn).

My immigration office does not accept 3 days old letters...

Just did the extension and can confirm that in addition to copy of bank book and letter a statement is now required. The bank book and letter showed that day's updated balance after making a 500 baht transaction in the morning. The statement showed the previous days balance ie 500 baht difference, but was accepted ok, I supposed because it showed a balance of over 400k for at least two months. In the list of documents to submit it says the statement should show previous two months but when I checked with the IO he said three. Maybe immigration are interested in where the money came from hence the new requirement of a statement.

Just did the extension and can confirm that in addition to copy of bank book and letter a statement is now required. The bank book and letter showed that day's updated balance after making a 500 baht transaction in the morning. The statement showed the previous days balance ie 500 baht difference, but was accepted ok, I supposed because it showed a balance of over 400k for at least two months. In the list of documents to submit it says the statement should show previous two months but when I checked with the IO he said three. Maybe immigration are interested in where the money came from hence the new requirement of a statement.

At which immigration office did you do your extension. Not all offices want ta bank statement.

It sounds like Phuket where they don't go by the written rules and want the money to be in the bank for 3 months.

Yes, they wanted the statement too and wanted the amount of statement exactly matching the bank books' one regardless I had over 400k for over 2 months-.

And since it was technically not possible to have a money movement one one day and the same amount shown in the bank book and the bank statement we had to withdraw and deposit the same amount so that both, statement and bank book are matching...

But I am still interested whether other people faced the same problem and how they solved it....

At which immigration office did you do your extension. Not all offices want ta bank statement.

It sounds like Phuket where they don't go by the written rules and want the money to be in the bank for 3 months.

It's in the South, Nakhon. Another new requirement was somebody in civil service has to come to the office to testify every year, unless I have children in which case it wouldn't be necessary. The other week a friend did his first extension in Surat and didn't have to provide a witness but did get a home visit.