Thai Massage = Fractured Rib !

jellydog

I thought I'd share this bizarre story. I returned to BKK about a month ago after living in Buenos Aires for awhile. About three months ago I went for a Thai massage in Buenos Aires by a Thai expat from Chang Mai who had a good reputation. He worked me over with a lot of discomfort and a specific pain in my rib cage that I felt exactly when he was "manipulating" that area. For a few days afterward I had moderate discomfort particularly sleeping on my side. I assumed he had messed up some rib cartilage as I knew that pain from being mugged many years ago. Very slow improvement and i never saw a physician. Even with slow improvement recently I still had very slight pain, so more out of curiosity than anything else I went for an x-ray today at BNH. It showed a healing fracture of the 7th right rib.

Moral of the story ? Don't get a Thai massage from a Thai expat in Buenos Aires.thumbsup.gif

I gave up with Thai massage many years ago after I suffered a 36-hour headache following the masseuse pressing very hard on my temples with her thumbs. Final straw and all that.

I am reliably informed if it is not done hard, it is not a Thai massage. Well if that is the case, you can keep it.

I gave up with Thai massage many years ago after I suffered a 36-hour headache following the masseuse pressing very hard on my temples with her thumbs. Final straw and all that.

I am reliably informed if it is not done hard, it is not a Thai massage. Well if that is the case, you can keep it.

My Thai wife who loves Thai massage almost don't go anymore. And when she goes afterwards I hear her ranting......Always the word Kwai is in the rant.....She tells the best she can find is medium, but usually the massage isn't good at all and she knows how it should be done and can advise and complain.

Twist my neck ... and you want money for that? bah.gif

Actually my father can't move his neck much.....He moves like a robot. No solution in Europe.

A good medical style Thai massage and he can fully move his head again for a couple of days.

So not all is bad.

Edited by h90

A Thai masseuse is the same as any other Thai expert.

Just because they have a shop with a sign saying 'Massage' on it doesn't actually mean that they have any experience, skills or qualifications.

It just means one thing.

that at some point the past, they had enough money to have a sign made.

Na Khraap.

coffee1.gif

The massage shop next to my condo, is on average, fairly good. A while back they had a lady on staff who used to do theraputic massage at some hospital. She was very good and it was a night and day difference between her and the regular staff. Unfortunately, she didn't stay long.

With massage shops on virtually every corner, very very few massuesses are actually properly trained. It is a rare treat when you find one who is.

Twist my neck ... and you want money for that? bah.gif

Actually my father can't move his neck much.....He moves like a robot. No solution in Europe.

A good medical style Thai massage and he can fully move his head again for a couple of days.

So not all is bad.

I have been to the clinic at the big village 6 km away for a medical massage and there is normally a waiting list of 2 or 3 days. There are about 4 or 5 ladies working full time there 5 days a week.

Good value for money and he happy ending is that I can usually walk down from the first floor to the ground floor.

Out of curiosity, why DO they put the massage places on the first floor and never the ground floor?

I have been getting a regular two-hour Thai massage twice a week from same masseuse for over nine years now. Very good and really knows her job. I like a strong massage and she puts all into it, all being about 65 kg. Really good on my back when she knee-walks up and down each side. I am 90 kg 180 cm, so can take it and like it.

In my opinion they should be outlawed. Dangerous and totally inadequately trained to apply manipulation of that level to anyone.

No consultation/discovery talk, no contra-indications, absolutely nothing, most are probably taught by " a friend" or work mate.

Extremely dangerous if applied to the wrong person/situation, could even be fatal in certain circumstances.

At least the so called massage with oil is a soothing rub, nothing more really, but its not as dangerous as the manipulation applied in "Thai Massage"

An orthopedic doctor gave a talk at our expats club and said people over age 65 shouldn't have Thai massages. Period. He was very firm about this. He said the oil massages were OK.

As mentioned, they're nothing more than a soothing rub down, but since I have dry skin, the oil massage does make my skin feel much better.

I've found someone who can do a true reflexology foot massage. When she works the appropriate pressure points in my feet, I can feel the stress in my shoulders, neck and forehead disappear. I don't think I'm imagining this because it doesn't work when other people give me a foot massage. I'll stick with seeing this gal from time-to-time for a good foot massage to help my shoulders and neck, rather than letting someone touch them directly.

An orthopedic doctor gave a talk at our expats club and said people over age 65 shouldn't have Thai massages. Period. He was very firm about this. He said the oil massages were OK.

As mentioned, they're nothing more than a soothing rub down, but since I have dry skin, the oil massage does make my skin feel much better.

I've found someone who can do a true reflexology foot massage. When she works the appropriate pressure points in my feet, I can feel the stress in my shoulders, neck and forehead disappear. I don't think I'm imagining this because it doesn't work when other people give me a foot massage. I'll stick with seeing this gal from time-to-time for a good foot massage to help my shoulders and neck, rather than letting someone touch them directly.

That makes good sense. I'm not yet 65 but closing in on it. That little booger that fractured my rib likely thought I was young buck given my rosy complexion and vivacity.thumbsup.gif

I've had great Thai massages and ones where I really felt really roughed up afterwards.

I was talking to some Thai friends about it -- masseuses digging in with knuckles, twisting me too much, etc., and they told me to let the person know you want a gentle massage by saying something like "bow-bow", meaning gently rather than something like "nawk", meaning hard. I'm not sure of this but that's what I remember. Perhaps one of the many Thai literates who frequent this forum can help out.

My father, aged 72 and in good health, was walking around Pattaya. He stepped off the kerb quite normally and felt a pain in his chest. The pain didnt go away so he went to see a doctor at one of the hospitals here. They did an X-ray and found that he had a fractured rib, presumably caused when he stepped off the kerb.

They also advised him to return to the UK as soon as possible. He did so and had some more tests where it was revealed that he had bone cancer which had caused the weakness that caused the fracture.

He was dead within 6 months of the initial rib pain.

That makes good sense. I'm not yet 65 but closing in on it. That little booger that fractured my rib likely thought I was young buck given my rosy complexion and vivacity.thumbsup.gif

I think that is nonsense - anyone over 0 should not have a Thai massage. I'm referring to any cheap Thai massage shop here in Thailand. I haven't had a massage at the serious (non-sexual) massage spas where massages go for over 1000 baht - they may be OK.

I go to places where the massages start at about 1500 baht and even those well trained therapists give Thai massages that are too firm. I'll stick with other items on their menus, like the hot oil massage, stress-relaxation aromatherapy wraps, etc. Really, my favorite though, is simply the reflexology foot massage. Don't have to take off my clothes and it truly relaxes me all over.

I have to say, I was initially amazed at this outpouring of hatred for Thai traditional massage in this thread (excepting the OP...I mean, obviously he fell prey to the worst kind of quack...a broken rib should not result from any kind of "massage"!)...but then I realized what's going on here. Most of you folks are clearly, to quote from Fight Club, "wads of cookie dough"...

Seriously, you tender, easily injured fatties should really stay away from a strenuous art form such as TTM, just like you should be careful how many sets of stairs you climb after your second pizza or fifth beer!

Yeah, there are bad massage-givers out there...but it doesn't take a whole lot of research (or brains) to find the ones trained at Wat Pho, who know how to practice this wonderful ancient art form stolen (and probably improved upon) by the Thais from the Khmers. I personally recommend Wat Pho massage on soi 33...on the right hand side, in the last clump of businesses you find on the soi, past all the "Teen Massage" sex places. Close to real Thai prices, too: 350 for two hours.

Yeah, the women in there will make you sore, but in a very good way. And if they make you like, too sore to walk, then you should maybe get into decent shape before trying something like Thai massage.

OP weak story and weak experience.tongue.png

I went for a Thai massage after waking up with a stiff neck(my right side), the following morning i woke up in excruciating pain in my left shoulder all the way down to my fingers.

Pain remained for 6 months, costing me thousands in medical bills, pain killers and i did try everything.

Eventually pain went away, however i lost most of the feeling and sensitivity in my fingers,

3 years later, feeling and sensitivity has not returned,

Moral of the story is do not get Thai massage at all.

I have to say, I was initially amazed at this outpouring of hatred for Thai traditional massage in this thread (excepting the OP...I mean, obviously he fell prey to the worst kind of quack...a broken rib should not result from any kind of "massage"!)...but then I realized what's going on here. Most of you folks are clearly, to quote from Fight Club, "wads of cookie dough"...

Seriously, you tender, easily injured fatties should really stay away from a strenuous art form such as TTM, just like you should be careful how many sets of stairs you climb after your second pizza or fifth beer!

Usually the obnoxious ignorant fat shaming rants are restricted to the "I'm Too Fat" forum. bah.gif

Usually the obnoxious ignorant fat shaming rants are restricted to the "I'm Too Fat" forum. bah.gif

You should know being too fat is not good for health. These people are easier to hurt. They get blue spots much easier than someone fit. The true hurts, but telling the true is not shaming. You really can't tell it is OK to be fat. It is not you get many health problems and you are less resistant to problems.

You should know being too fat is not good for health. These people are easier to hurt. They get blue spots much easier than someone fit. The true hurts, but telling the true is not shaming. You really can't tell it is OK to be fat. It is not you get many health problems and you are less resistant to problems.

I have to disagree with you in this regard, fat and massage,

Problem with Thai massage is that more than often it is performed by poorly trained person, if trained at all.

There is a thai massage school on every corner that issues certs after 1 day.

1 day is hardly sufficient to learn anything.

With my experience, she seemingly pushed too hard somewhere and nerve was pinched

They do not know human body and often push into bone, they do not know pressure points or joints.

I am no stranger to massage, as after the shoulder surgery i need at least 2 every week and its really hard to find a decent, well trained masseurs.

I now get Thai/Oil, so at least force with which they push is reduced by the oil.

Chinese massage in my opinion is just superb, but not available in Pattaya, well i have not seen it yet