Is it possible to run a fuel injected engine without a mass airflow meter?

ClareQuilty

My mechanic insists that there is no possible way to get a replacement mass airflow meter/sensor for my Peugeot 405. So, I'm wondering if there is anyway to make the car run without one, or with one from a Toyota or something like that.

Besides this, I have a suspicion that the problem with the extreme low idling and dying on deceleration may be caused by something else anyway, but he's blaming the mass airflow meter.

Even the most basic fuel injection system uses an airlfow/mass sensor at the inlet, and an oxygen sensor on the exhaust to balance the air:fuel mixture. If either of these are malfunctioning or not present, the ECU is likely to put the engine into "limp mode" which will increase fuel consumption and severely limit power.

In short: yes it should be able to function without an airflow/mass sensor, but no, it cannot function properly.

Are you sure the Mass Airflow Meter is at fault? I recently had to restrain the dealer from replacing it on my wee Hyundai and insist that he started with replacing the Fuel Filter. It cured the problem ( misfire when I tried to use half throttle or more ) and the price difference was considerable.

Engine computer can calculate the amount of air.

Based on volumetric efficiency and temperature and air pressure.

In theory should be equally accurate.

Adjustments could be tuned with lambda sensor.

But that would require you to reprogram the engine control yourself.

Are you sure the Mass Airflow Meter is at fault? I recently had to restrain the dealer from replacing it on my wee Hyundai and insist that he started with replacing the Fuel Filter. It cured the problem ( misfire when I tried to use half throttle or more ) and the price difference was considerable.

Also, did he check fuel pressure ? Possible the regulator is going south, or the pump is weak. As was said on your other thread, Puegot does not make MAF sensors. Bosch, Hitachi, etc are sub contractors. Get the make and model from the one you have and check parts suppliers. Take a pic and send via Facebook or Line if they use them, as social media is surpassing emails now. Puegot board link in post above very good info. Nice one.

Edited by canthai55

Thanks all for your replies. I have had the car back a couple of days now, and it is running fine again. He didn't specify any new parts, just checking, cleaning etc.

My total bill was just 500 baht for installing a new radiator overflow tank (oddly enough the car didn't have one before, he used one from a Mitsubishi).

Here's the hand written note I found in the front passenger seat - can anyone read Thai?

post-75663-0-49235000-1449357642_thumb.j

If you do end up needing a MAF, maybe you missed my post #7 in your other thread here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/871831-peugeot-405-are-mass-air-flow-oxygen-sensors-still-available/

Yes, I appreciated that post, about ordering one from Ebay, but I'm a little unsure about that step since I have never ordered anything online, don't have a credit card, and don't really know for sure what part/number/model, etc. applies.

I have been having problems with my MAF on my bmw and they don't sell new ones here in thailand for my car either. Your mechanic probably just gave it a good cleaning but that may not last very long and you will start having the same problems again. I ordered it on from ebay as I don't want to take a chance with a used one which costs the same as a new one, about 3,000 with shipping. They are made in china and mine has a Toyota censer in it and I hope it will sort my difficult to start problem as I have already replaced most of the fuel system parts.

You need to get a friend to help you get one online and I have a friend who I order things for as he does not have a credit card which can drive me nuts. This is why people need them so they don't have to bother others, surely you can get a credit card from your home country?

I have been having problems with my MAF on my bmw and they don't sell new ones here in thailand for my car either. Your mechanic probably just gave it a good cleaning but that may not last very long and you will start having the same problems again. I ordered it on from ebay as I don't want to take a chance with a used one which costs the same as a new one, about 3,000 with shipping. They are made in china and mine has a Toyota censer in it and I hope it will sort my difficult to start problem as I have already replaced most of the fuel system parts.

You need to get a friend to help you get one online and I have a friend who I order things for as he does not have a credit card which can drive me nuts. This is why people need them so they don't have to bother others, surely you can get a credit card from your home country?

You need money & good credit to get one of those credit cards, alas. About the censors, my mechanic swears those Chinese-made sensors are very bad & usually don't last long. He can't find any used ones or any Japanese or European made ones so he says I'm better off sticking with this very marginal one.

BTW you are quite correct: it only ran really good for 2-3 days, now it has the low stumbley idle when warmed up again. :(

I had the airflow meter/sensor changed on my Benz last year.

The symptoms were unstable idle and momentarily loss of power while driving.

Also; the ECU decided to spray a lot of gasoline into the cylinders, so there were smoke from the exhaust pipe and the spark plugs were completely black.

I paid 8,500 Baht for an original Benz (Bosch!?).

The Chinese can make any quality they want, so I would think that a 3,000 Baht one, will be good quality.

You need money & good credit to get one of those credit cards, alas. About the censors, my mechanic swears those Chinese-made sensors are very bad & usually don't last long. He can't find any used ones or any Japanese or European made ones so he says I'm better off sticking with this very marginal one.

BTW you are quite correct: it only ran really good for 2-3 days, now it has the low stumbley idle when warmed up again. sad.png

The seller has sold hundreds of them and it comes with a 1 year warranty. The sensor is toyota but the air flow chamber is Chinese made to OEM spec. Hopefully it will work out when it arrives in a week from now. I am sure you could find one on ebay rebuilt (expensive) or a chinese made one. Maybe he isn't internet savvy enough to find one. My mechanic would not even source one told me to look for one in my home country.post-72597-0-46348600-1449775979_thumb.j

Edited by marinediscoking