Peugeot 405 - are mass air flow & oxygen sensors still available?

ClareQuilty

I recently got my 405 back from the mechanic, and he had largely cured the very low idling (and occasionally dying) problems it had been experiencing. He managed this without replacement parts, but had mentioned he checked the mass air flow & oxygen sensors, which had considered replacing, but he found that originals weren't available in Thailand, only Taiwanese made replacements, which he said were "worse new than the old original ones in your car".

So, even though the car's doing OK at the moment, it makes me nervous to know these items may not be available. Does anyone know if such items are findable in Thailand?

Another fairy story CQ .....

What now, Jas? You surmise that it is improbable that an old car might have trouble idling, or that the parts for an old European car might be difficult to find in Thailand?

Thanks to all for your advice. Perhaps it was the mass air flow censor that my mechanic was specifically regarding as hard-to-source, though he mentioned the O2 sensor in the same breath. He basically stated that both were "good enough, though not perfect".

He also mentioned that if one were needed in future, his supplier had mentioned that one from certain models of BMW 318 might fit/be usable in the Peugeot.

Anyway he's got the car running OK for now, so I will soldier on and not look for problems before they come. :D

This MIGHT be the one and there might be some useful cross reference part numbers here. Obviouly you'd need to check its the right one. Once you have the right part no. and know what other cars have the same one, then you should be able to source one in Thailand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MAF-MASS-AIR-FLOW-METER-ALFA-SPIDER-PEUGEOT-405-OPEL-0280202202-0280202210-/130886408847?hash=item1e79701a8f:g:XdcAAOSw-vlVktkL

CQ,

Lots of 405's in Thailand so spares will be OK, even if used. Come to Bangkok there is a garage not far from me on Rama4 that has a Peugeot sign hanging outside.

Thanks.. I'll do that as a last resort, but maybe my mechanic can telephone to some of those Bangkok dealers & have it sent.. for me going to Bangkok is like climbing Mount Everest...

CQ,

Lots of 405's in Thailand so spares will be OK, even if used. Come to Bangkok there is a garage not far from me on Rama4 that has a Peugeot sign hanging outside.

Thanks.. I'll do that as a last resort, but maybe my mechanic can telephone to some of those Bangkok dealers & have it sent.. for me going to Bangkok is like climbing Mount Everest...

Just like climbing Everest you need to set up camps along the way with spare parts and the occasional spare vehicle.

Just like climbing Everest you need to set up camps along the way with spare parts and the occasional spare vehicle.

Well no I would never drive a car to Bangkok, that would be crazy. I take the overnight bus. But it's still arduous.

The 405 still experiences the low idle problem, but only around 25-30% of the time, and only when the engine has been run at least 20-30 minutes & is thoroughly warmed up.

My mechanic continues to insist there's no way to get proper replacement parts for the sensors, etc.

Well no I would never drive a car to Bangkok, that would be crazy. I take the overnight bus. But it's still arduous.

The 405 still experiences the low idle problem, but only around 25-30% of the time, and only when the engine has been run at least 20-30 minutes & is thoroughly warmed up.

My mechanic continues to insist there's no way to get proper replacement parts for the sensors, etc.

You could also try to find your luck here:http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=peugeot+405+car+parts+Airflow+sensor

P.S. Some models do not have Bosch parts, they have "Ducellier parts" made in France.

Edited by lostinisaan