New Car Title - who's name?

Manassas

My wife got a 35,000 baht discount on a new Isuzu. If I wanted it in my name, no discount. The truck's book is in her name. Since she has put up with me for over ten years, I doubt it is much of a risk.

My wife got a 35,000 baht discount on a new Isuzu. If I wanted it in my name, no discount. The truck's book is in her name. Since she has put up with me for over ten years, I doubt it is much of a risk.

That's the first time I've heard of something like that. Plus it does not make sense at all, unless it has something to do with finance?

That's the first time I've heard of something like that. Plus it does not make sense at all, unless it has something to do with finance?

Perhaps she's a gov't employee - all brands do special discounts for them, but req'd rank can vary.

Perhaps she's a gov't employee - all brands do special discounts for them, but req'd rank can vary.

Yes, could also be. In that case it would be a discount because of employment.

Have posted before. My neighbours are gov employees, they wanted a Fortuner, BUT, the savings, reductions for them were one a list of vehicles. They bought a Pajero via the list system..

These discounts rarely add up to more than 20-45K. If they really preferred the Tuna, they'd probably have still bought it.

Edited by IMHO

Have posted before. My neighbours are gov employees, they wanted a Fortuner, BUT, the savings, reductions for them were one a list of vehicles. They bought a Pajero via the list system..

These discounts rarely add up to more than 20-45K. If they really preferred the Tuna, they'd probably have still bought it.

Do WE know the ins and outs of THEIR system...? I don't...

Read the Thai versions of manufacturer websites and/or brochures - gov't employee discounts are no secret wink.png

Edited by IMHO

I got 50 grand off my Avanza last year, 1st class insurance and registration for free. I paid cash and the car is in my name - as it should be, like the other 4 vehicles (total 10 wheels + 1 spare) I bought before.

I guess it depends on your situation and wife.

If it's a lot money for you and say you already put the house in your wife's name, maybe then put in your name to balance things out a bit. However if it's not really that much money for you, you trust your wife and really it wouldn't be the end of the word if you lost it, then put it in your wife's name.

DELETED your wife got 35,000 thai bht discount more like you was suck in to putting it in your wife name it was tried on me with my thai told I would get 6,000 thai bht discount if i put it in her name I just got up walk out and when the next day walk in to a new dealer brought the car in my name and got the discount and the car in my name . You get no discount you pay the same reg and ins so don't believe it Thais love to play tricks on there man .

If you put it in the wifes name she will get a 50% discount and free road tax for the next 10 years.

and keep the car when the marriage is all over

only half mate. all assets purchased whilst married are split 50/50.

Which way do the split the truck, between the headlights or from door to door? Just checking cuz you don't wanna get the half without the steering wheel.

If you put it in the wifes name she will get a 50% discount and free road tax for the next 10 years.

and keep the car when the marriage is all over

only half mate. all assets purchased whilst married are split 50/50.

Which way do the split the truck, between the headlights or from door to door? Just checking cuz you don't wanna get the half without the steering wheel.

She gets the free half, the other 50% you gotta pay for.

My Thai wife was 20 years younger than me. Car and two houses and bank accounts in her name. She died after a nine-day illness without a will. I had to pay the family one-third of the value of the car and one house plus they got a third of her bank accounts and will get a third of the selling price of the other house.. When your assets are large enough make sure your wife has a will naming you as executor and inheritor. Dangerous country even without sudden illnesses.

Edited by akentryan

My Thai wife was 20 years younger than me. Car and two houses and bank accounts in her name. She died after a nine-day illness without a will. I had to pay the family one-third of the value of the car and one house plus they got a third of her bank accounts and will get a third of the selling price of the other house.. When your assets are large enough make sure your wife has a will naming you as executor and inheritor. Dangerous country even without sudden illnesses.

Very good point, and one I hadn't thought of - thanks.

Sorry to hear of your loss

We constantly hear on the importance of having a will to protect our Thai partners, yet fail miserably to insure that they have wills to protect us

Hope your story will motivate others to act before it is too late

My wife and I both have wills in this country and I also have a UK will. Also our UK Bank account is joint.

I also own our new car ... as someone said ... just in case have somewhere to sleep.☺

Edited by JAS21

My wife and I both have wills in this country and I also have a UK will. Also our UK Bank account is joint.

I also own our new car ... as someone said ... just in case have somewhere to sleep.☺

Get yourself one of these, with the optional walls, a 3G stick, a TV and some beers, and who needs a house?

4149326755f8fe3e2a7da263579384_0_0.jpg

:P

Get yourself one of these, with the optional walls, a 3G stick, a TV and some beers, and who needs a house?

:P

Is it fire proof .......

tongue.png

Is it fire proof .......

Hmmmm, not sure, just seen the badge.....facepalm.gif BUT, the desert venue is a plus......sad.png

That aint a desert, thats a typical suburban aussie backyard.

The drop bears swim in the pool (pictured on the left) with the crocodiles an emu's... they all frollick happily together !!

Edited by Don Mega