I Skrewed Up! -- Risk Overstay?

I royally screwed up -- I booked my flight to Singapore, plus made the hotel reservations, in order to get my Non-Imm (O) visa down there. The flight leaves at 8:30 the morning of October 30. However, my 30-day visa-on-arrival expires on October 29.

Because I booked with a budget carrier, I can't cancel the reservations. Should I try to change the date I fly out of Phuket (it's a direct flight to Singapore) -- which would incur additional charges (flight was A LOT cheaper flying on the Monday rather than the Sunday, plus the hotel) -- or should I risk the overstay? Is it possible to get a couple of days extension cover at Patong Immigration?

Help, please!

I royally screwed up -- I booked my flight to Singapore, plus made the hotel reservations, in order to get my Non-Imm (O) visa down there. The flight leaves at 8:30 the morning of October 30. However, my 30-day visa-on-arrival expires on October 29.

Because I booked with a budget carrier, I can't cancel the reservations. Should I try to change the date I fly out of Phuket (it's a direct flight to Singapore) -- which would incur additional charges (flight was A LOT cheaper flying on the Monday rather than the Sunday, plus the hotel) -- or should I risk the overstay? Is it possible to get a couple of days extension cover at Patong Immigration?

Help, please!

You have nothing to worry about. Most probarly they will not even charge you anything as your overstay is only one day. If you want to get an extension it will be granted for sure - but then you have to pay for it which I think is a waste of money.

I'd overstay the one day also- no big deal. Have 200 Baht in hand at the airport just in case that they do bring it up.

Having said that- I'd suggest being home before midnight on the 29th... don't go out on the piss until the wee hours of the morning and put yourself in the position where you might run into the police! They would have a different view of your overstay for sure.

I'd overstay the one day also- no big deal. Have 200 Baht in hand at the airport just in case that they do bring it up.

You will probably have no problem and may not even be charged but, just in case, ฿500 would be the amount to have in hand... :o

You will probably have no problem and may not even be charged but, just in case, ฿500 would be the amount to have in hand... :o

U're right- I forgot that the rate went up!

Shows you how long it has been since I overstayed!

The risk may be small but it is there. I would never take that risk when it could easily be avoided. I would especially be concerned about how my application for a non immigrant visa is going to be received if I have a nice red overstay stamp on the last page of my passport. Just like showing up in a t-shirt I suspect.

Help, please!

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. You will not even be charged for one day over.

The same happened to me and my girlfriend a few months back...except I stayed one day over on purpose...not by accident.

You get taken over to the overstay counter and they'll stamp your passport and you're on your way in a few minutes....no charge!

I'm with Lopburi. I could have overstayed by 8 hours a couple years back before going for my non 'O' but decided to pay the 1,900 for extension. I initially asked immigration what they thought and the guy said not to worry about it and overstay. I then said I was going for a non-'O' the day after, to which he replied, get the extension!! What with all the visa attention at the moment and the nasty stamp that the overstay incurs, I reckon 1,900 is pocket change, would be easier than changing flights and hotel resrvations and would give peace of mind as well as keeping you clean. Either that or see if you can check-in 9 hours before your flight. :o

Another possibility is taking a day during the middle of your stay in Thailand and doing a visa run to Ranong.

Very good idea! A quick Visa run to Ranong would solve your problem and work out proably cheaper. Whatever you do, dont change your airfare, that might be costly, especially if your dealing with AirA. If you dont wanna do the visa run, pay for the extension, because the overstay wont proably turn into a big deal, but like others said, the same day you will be applying for a Non O at an embassy, and with the new rules and other shit thats going on, it might not make you look good with the overstay, even if its only for a day.....................I'd do the visa run to Ranong anytime before you leave :o

Ill be there from the 25ht untill the 27th as well trying to get the non O. What time does your flight land in the morning in Singapore and how many nights will you be staying for.

Yep, another good alternative yet a fair bit of hassle compared with paying the 1,900, although I would have done it if I wasn't in Chiang Mai where the border is a 500-kilometre-plus round trip!

I'm with Lopburi. I could have overstayed by 8 hours a couple years back before going for my non 'O' but decided to pay the 1,900 for extension. I initially asked immigration what they thought and the guy said not to worry about it and overstay. I then said I was going for a non-'O' the day after, to which he replied, get the extension!! What with all the visa attention at the moment and the nasty stamp that the overstay incurs, I reckon 1,900 is pocket change, would be easier than changing flights and hotel resrvations and would give peace of mind as well as keeping you clean. Either that or see if you can check-in 9 hours before your flight. :o

There is no "nasty stamp" in your passport for one day over. They DON'T EVEN CHARGE a day over. It is not a problem and you'd be wasting your time and money to get an extension.

I came back 2 weeks later (both of us) and nobody batted an eyelid...and if my flight didn't quite match up with my leaving date, I'd do it again.

Save your money. A lot of you guys are getting paranoid.

Edited by tropo

There is no "nasty stamp" in your passport for one day over. They DON'T EVEN CHARGE a day over. It is not a problem and you'd be wasting your time and money to get an extension.

I came back 2 weeks later (both of us) and nobody batted an eyelid...and if my flight didn't quite match up with my leaving date, I'd do it again.

Save your money. A lot of you guys are getting paranoid.

Well that's changed then because that's exactly what I had about 4 years ago when I did overstay by a day and got charged.

If you're on holiday then probably no worries but the guy needs to ask himself is it worth the risk as he's going for a real visa the next day and having a cavalier atitude in the present visa climate probably ain't the wisest way forward.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I'll take my airline confirmation into Patong Immigration, explain that I'm going to Singapore for the Non-Imm (O), and ask for their opinion. Rather err on the side of caution than add to my worries in applying for the real visa...

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I'll take my airline confirmation into Patong Immigration, explain that I'm going to Singapore for the Non-Imm (O), and ask for their opinion. Rather err on the side of caution than add to my worries in applying for the real visa...

good advice boys ok you will not get fined for one day overstay that why the rate went up to 500 per day as they let u off the first day however dont risk a naughty boy stamp when youre going for your proper visa like everybody else says you dont know what they might do in the present circumstancses :o

If you're on holiday then probably no worries but the guy needs to ask himself is it worth the risk as he's going for a real visa the next day and having a cavalier atitude in the present visa climate probably ain't the wisest way forward.

There is no risk. I obtained a "real" visa a few weeks after the "naughty boy" stamp.

The one day allowance is a courtesy extended to tourists. It's just not an issue.

No one in any consulate/embassy is going to look at a day late as an issue. You're all being overly dramatic.

Edited by tropo

The guy is concerned about overstay stamp. In that case he should go on the 27th to immigration department and get 1 week extension for 1900 baht. End of story, end of worries.

On my first trip to Thailand I overstayed one day and was not fined at airport, no overstay stamp either.