PM's shot, bombed comment bad for nation: academics

snoop1130

PM's shot, bombed comment bad for nation: academics
By: Kasamakorn Chanwanpen
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An academic group has criticised the prime minister for what it perceives as his veiled threat against academic freedom.

In a statement released Friday, the Thai Academics for Civil Rights said General Prayut Chan-o-cha's recent remark that "you may get shot or bombed to death" was imprudent and could result in a "negative impact" on the country.

Rather than adjusting people's attitudes, the junta should learn to tolerate those with opinions different from its, TACR said.

The group said General Prayut's remark sounded like a threat, although he also said the gunfire and the bombs would not be from him.

The group said the remark was provocative, and it wanted to know what action could justify someone being shot or bombed.

"For a national leader, such a remark was imprudent and would cause much negative impact on the country," it said.

The statement was issued at a panel discussion entitled "Universities Are Not Military Barracks: Space for Rights, Liberties and Creative Learning" at Thammasat University's Tha Phrachan campus.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/PMs-shot-bombed-comment-bad-for-nation-academics-30274316.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-04

... not that long ago you could not go for a wander in Lumpini Park without danger of gunfire and bombs... or wander out for an early morning smoke around Lard Prao without danger of gunfire and bombs... or wander round Victory Monument near Rajavethi Hospital without danger of gunfire and bombs...or Chaeng Wattana or three Southern Provinces or... or...

Maybe the academic group should apply a bit more thought before engaging in sensational press.....

... not that long ago you could not go for a wander in Lumpini Park without danger of gunfire and bombs... or wander out for an early morning smoke around Lard Prao without danger of gunfire and bombs... or wander round Victory Monument near Rajavethi Hospital without danger of gunfire and bombs...or Chaeng Wattana or three Southern Provinces or... or...

Maybe the academic group should apply a bit more thought before engaging in sensational press.....

Maybe you should apply a bit more thought and try to comprehend the import of what the PM said and the reaction from the academics. It's got nothing to do with unrest around the country.,

They are spot on, albeit very tame and diplomatic.

HoHoHo and Merry Christmas.

Hope you have a pleasant agenda and I'll leave it at that because of the political climate.

Uniforms and all that...............

555 you are funny and clearly are new in this country. The protests in BKK was set up to lead to a coup. The protest had nothing to do about reforms or corruption. The people participating in these protests thought it was about reforms and corruption but the real reason was about a power grab. This power grab has set the country back at least 10 years and could lead to the deaths of ten times the number killed in the Bkk protest. It doesn't matter who does the killing, army snipers like in 2010 or frustrated citizens looking on how the minority kidnaps their country, both are wrong, but if I must choose I know which side I will choose.

It is true he reacts with emotion and is certainly not a diplomat!

However, given the tasks he has and the difficulties involved one can understand his frustration, he is not a politician.

All he has to do is learn to accept the criticism and get on with the job.

Bit of an ask but, lets hope.

Rather than adjusting people's attitudes, the junta should learn to tolerate those with opinions different from its, TACR said.

In theory I agree with the statement. In practice I need to know what opinions I'm supposed to tolerate. If one's opinion is that they should be allowed to hand out bottles of gasoline to facilitate arson, or hand out blanket amnesty to criminals, that would be intolerable, in my humble opinion.

He has no right to claim to be the leader of this country. Many praise him for the job he is doing. But if you have absolute power anyone could run the country. Yes even including Khun Abhisit.

so let's go back to the bombings and shootings ....

let's go back to the street protests and blocking of highways and roads ...

let's go back to the security problem when thailand was lawless ...

let's go back to the controversial PM or inept person leading the country who couldn't control the situation ...

who in their right mind would question the past vs the present ...... huh.png only those who are in denial

General Khun Prayuth Cha o char was put in as PM at the blessing of HM the king, he was chosen as no one else was fit enough or had the ability to bring stability and security back to the people.

I, as millions of Thais are grateful for his hard work and dedication in getting Thailand back on it's feet.

Edited by steven100

He has no right to claim to be the leader of this country. Many praise him for the job he is doing. But if you have absolute power anyone could run the country. Yes even including Khun Abhisit.

let's go back to the controversial PM or inept person leading the country who couldn't control the situation ...

who in their right mind would question the past vs the present ...... huh.png only those who are in denial

General Khun Prayuth Cha o char was put in as PM at the blessing of HM the king, he was chosen as no one else was fit enough or had the ability to bring stability and security back to the people.

I, as millions of Thais are grateful for his hard work and dedication in getting Thailand back on it's feet.

And I am amazed at foreigners writing inane posts like this one. If Thailand is back on it's feet then they sure are wobbly, and if millions of Thais are grateful then why not hold an election to confirm this?? Edited by MZurf

And I am amazed at foreigners writing inane posts like this one. If Thailand is back on it's feet then they sure are wobbly, and if millions of Thais are grateful then why not hold an election to confirm this??

wobbly they may be at times but it's a hell of a lot better than before ... many projects moving again that had been stalled, also the china-thai rail.

I love your avatar ... he's looking and saying 'huh'

A post at the same intellectual level as the General's comment

bombings and shootings

Erewan (possibly more on the way,) and too many shootings to list since the coup. guns and shootings are a fact of Thai life

security problem

8 Syrian terrorists on the loose in Thailand

thailand was lawless

Not even you can claim Thailand is any more lawful now than it was then. Even Royally connected projects are tainted by institutionalised corruption

controversial PM or inept person leading the country who couldn't control the situation ..

Hmm the more things change, the more they stay the same. Some politicians cannot even control their own mouths - hence this story

was put in as PM at the blessing of HM the king

The coup came before the blessing, given to a fait accompli. The legality of the coup is subject for debate (or would be in a society with free speech)

he was chosen

Only by himself and a handful of Generals and plutocrats. The people had chosen someone else.

had the ability to bring stability and security back to the people.

The country has neither economic nor political stability, there are opposing factions within the army itself and the economy is suffering. There is a 60% increase in crimes against property. millions of rural people face ruin due to water mismanagement coupled with a drought. That will continue for at least another year. The airlines and fishing industry are under threat and the issue of succession has yet to be faced. But hey, to be fair you can now buy a lottery ticket at the printed price so its not all bad.

As another poster has said if it is true that millions of Thais are grateful for his hard work and dedication in getting Thailand back on it's feet. Then there is nothing to fear by holding an election to let them have their say.

I don't know millions of Thais but I do know some dozens of Thais, very few of whom are happy with the current government or would vote for the General if he were to run for legitimate office.

The military could have restored order by supporting the elected government... But what they actually did was support the protesters against the police when they tried to prevent them from blocking the aborted election. They implicitly supported the right to protest right up until the point where they seized power. At the very least they allowed the situation to develop to the point where they could justify a coup, and most likely they played a more significant role than that. The Democrat party have realized it, much too late. Even my wife's staunch yellow Bangkok office lady friends are starting to see what's going on here. You have to either be incredibly thick, or massively naive not to.

Can we now go for a walk at Erawan Shrine. Or in the South for that matter?

Or do we risk Attitude Adjustment if we say that?

And I am amazed at foreigners writing inane posts like this one. If Thailand is back on it's feet then they sure are wobbly, and if millions of Thais are grateful then why not hold an election to confirm this??

wobbly they may be at times but it's a hell of a lot better than before ... many projects moving again that had been stalled, also the china-thai rail.

I love your avatar ... he's looking and saying 'huh'

"wobbly they may be at times but it's a hell of a lot better than before .."

Really, in what way?

"...many projects moving again that had been stalled..."

Which ones?

"...also the china-thai rail."

You DO know that that project is stalled, right? Please tell me I'm replying to someone who actually reads the news.

"I love your avatar ... he's looking and saying 'huh'"

Thanks, it's entirely appropriate for how I feel when reading some of the posts on TV.

PS. How about that election?

Edited by MZurf

555 you are funny and clearly are new in this country. The protests in BKK was set up to lead to a coup. The protest had nothing to do about reforms or corruption. The people participating in these protests thought it was about reforms and corruption but the real reason was about a power grab. This power grab has set the country back at least 10 years and could lead to the deaths of ten times the number killed in the Bkk protest. It doesn't matter who does the killing, army snipers like in 2010 or frustrated citizens looking on how the minority kidnaps their country, both are wrong, but if I must choose I know which side I will choose.

I gave up trying to choose any sides here as they are all crap. Not saying Thai people are crap, just that their allegiances are based on fanatical insane outdated geographical stereotypes. The 'leaders' are the most ruthless and corrupt in the community and the nature of the entire country is more feudal than democratic.

I get the feeling here you choose sides to stay alive or succeed in corrupt practices, little else. Until you stop silencing and start educating people what chance is there for real democracy?

Edited by ParadiseLost

I think you need to lay off the booze and open your eyes to the direction this country is headed...

he is a liar who stage managed a coup in order to grab power all he is doing right now is dragging the country and its people backwards whilst ensuring he and his fellow hi-so's profit, he is also blatantly unfit to lead a chimps tea party let alone a country....

Yep those so called academics did nothing more than rote learning ..............cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

...any chance that it was taken out of context.....and badly translated.....

...because it does seem that nowadays.....if anyone is offended in any way....they might face such extreme 'reactions'....

...as a general statement is is merely a reflection of events that have taken place recently....

...to suggest that he would have been making such a statement as a 'threat' to the opposition....or to intimidate them....

...sounds like the infantile hogwash that is being paid for by the 'sore losers'.....

Absolutely spot on. Democracies can only work when you accept others opinions and can agree to differ and accept the outcome of polls. Democracies cannot work if you simply suppress any view you don't like. A silly comment by a buffoon.

"In a statement released Friday, the Thai Academics for Civil Rights said General Prayut Chan-o-cha's recent remark that "you may get shot or bombed to death" was imprudent and could result in a "negative impact" on the country."

Anyone knows the context in which this was said? The text before and after this snippet?

As it is listed in the OP he might have remarked on the American Terrorist attack in California for all one knows

Edited by rubl