Buying a house with your Thai partner

The above post from petermilk is 100 % correct and anyone going into these purchases should be aware of . If they can cheat their own family out of property and land then farang has no chance .

And there's a decent chance her brothers and sisters are champing at the bit to try to get their sticky fingers into the situation.

I,ve just had a house built for myself and my TGF paid entirely by me,this money I consider is now gone and you should consider this also.

The law in Thailand regarding house purchase especially is heavily in a Thai,s favour-do not spend any more than you are prepared to walk away from if need be.....this is what I have done.

best wishes with your relationship thumbsup.gif

Quote: "do not spend any more than you are prepared to walk away from if need be."

Best approach. Easily said.

But when a 5 mill Bht "investment" goes down the drain and Farang starts to realize how much the 5 mill would have bought for HIMSELF, the "walking away" takes on a new dimension.

Cheers.

Gents,let me make one point clear I am still happily enjoying my relationship with my GF and enjoying living in our house together,she has no kids and her parents are dead......my initial reply and thoughte are based upon my personal feelings,I spent 1.3 milloin baht on the house but no matter what the cost amounts to consider it water under the bridge,if you cannot afford to walk away from whatever amount you spend then don,t do it in the first place is the best advice I can give wai2.gif

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am well aware of the laws forbidding foreign ownership of land and houses."

You are not forbidden from owning houses in Thailand and there are many ways of protecting your interests if you chose.

Foreigners can't own house ownership in Thailand, because house ownership is linked by the Civil & Commercial Code to land ownership and foreign land ownership is prohibited under the Land Code. Separate house ownership strictly requires a Superficies, duly registered on the backside of the title deed. No Superficies, no house ownership. Not for foreigners, not for Thais. coffee1.gif

90% home loan from SCB in her name with repayments over 30 years.

Then your money is safe.

But then, how many guys have a Thai partner that has a real job?

Which she needs to get the home loan.

PS

Make sure the house is in, or near, a big city, so it actually has resale value.

Not something built on her family land in the boonies.

My GF's mortgage is in her name. The house is on her land. She paid the deposit. I give her 50% of the monthly repayments.

THE RULES

1. The mortgage must be in her name. If she's not credit-worthy, dump her.

2. She must pay the deposit in full. If she can't afford it, dump her.

3. Mortgage repayments should be split 50-50. Never pay more than half. If she asks for more, dump her.

4. View the repayments as you would when paying rent. You will never own the house.

I would hope that any traditional gf would dump any farang with the above rules first, and seek a better man to live with

Seriously, grow up and see the light.

Westerners talking about "traditional women" are clueless fools. There's no such thing as a traditional woman.

Generous western men are not viewed as "nice guys" or "ideal husbands". They're seen as saps, marks and suckers.

Quote: "Generous western men are not viewed as "nice guys" or "ideal husbands". They're seen as saps, marks and suckers"

This is the part that Farangs have a hard time to understand and accept.

NO? Do as I did. Learn some basic Thai, travel around, listen around, without letting them know that you understand what they are saying. That in itself will be the ultimate "wake-up" call.

Not forget: Thai Beauties, hanging around Tourist Hubs are well informed concerning "property rights of Farangs" in Thailand.

Ah well. I am talking to the wind, I know. "Love" and an elevated Testosterone Level will make a Farang "Advice-Resistant". ( That too is something that Thai Ladies are aware of, by the way).

Cheers.

I agree with some of the above posters - though not the one immediately above this post - sometimes, I think I am just not in the same Thailand as some of the posters here. Yes, I speak Thai and almost all of my farang friends have decent marriages to nice ladies… they are not fools and saps… and not seen that way.

The house I built for my wife is a gift to her. I built it with that understanding. We had lived together a couple of years and I wanted her to have it. With that understanding, it would be impossible to cheat me out of something that I have no ownership claims to.. it is simply a gift that I want nothing at all back from. I know, that does not qualify it as an investment other than living here rent free for a long time…

We have lived in the house for a dozen years and my feelings have remained the same. If she wants me to leave, I can go at any time. I will have no more regrets than the return of any other gift that I have given - no strings attached.

And maybe, that type of attitude helps to keep our relationship easy.

Edited by kenk24

Have you ever heard that saying: Listen to good advice...Yes?

Well ....That time is here now...so listen to good advice.

Do not take the risk and buy any property at all with a Thai person as your partner....all the more so with a Thai Woman as your partner.

Although many people do....all too many regret being involved in any partnerships with a Thai person concerning property transactions...especially if the partner is a Thai women and you are her lover or married to her.

Just to much chance that good intentions will run amuck and you will lose your money.

Rent an apartment and you will be much safer.

Cheers

You need to grow up. Obviously we are at different spectrums where I've had good experiences and maybe you haven't. Don't bother to reply, because your rules show me you're a control freak.

Thank you for replying. You make me laugh!

You accuse me of being a "control freak" and ask me not to reply. I love your irony!

My GF is a former model with two degrees. She and I have a joint mortgage on a property in Thailand's deep south. I would class this as a good experience. We're both quite happy.

You're right when you say you and I are at different ends of the spectrum. I accept Thailand for what it is. I embrace change. I certainly don't talk idiotic twaddle about "traditional women". I see things for what they are.

You, on the other hand, appear confused and rather defensive. Let me guess -- you've just spent a heap of cash on a house owned by an Thai woman who left school at 15.

Don't buy until you have known your wife for least 10 years and have kids..and then just buy a " home".. It is not an investment...

Stone me... 10 years is a bit of a "long con"!!

Also, if they can put up with most of the posters on here for that amount of time they deserve it! whistling.gifwink.png

RAZZ

Don't buy until you have known your wife for least 10 years and have kids..and then just buy a " home".. It is not an investment...

Also, if they can put up with most of the posters on here for that amount of time they deserve it! whistling.gifwink.png

RAZZ

RAZZ

If you are married and subsequently divorce you are legally entitled to half the proceeds of the sale of the house, irrespective of whose name it is registered in or whose money bought it.

If you are not married this protection does not apply. So either get married, buy in a house in a company name (not so straightforward these days as it used to be), get the protection of a usufruct deal, or buy a condo which you can own fully;

Alternatively, get a partner you can trust. Which is probably the best solution of all.

The last bit seems to have worked for me.

My wife had some land and a house so I gave her the money for the land next door and she had a house designed the way she wanted, slightly modified by what the builder could do, and we have lived in it 12 years so far.

If she IS planning to rip me off then she is playing a waiting game as we have known each other 22 years, been married 16 of them and have a 12 year old son.

If we did split up she is welcome to all of it after living with me for about 20 years.

Anyway what would I do with half a house? Which half, top or bottom, left or right, front or back?

Have you ever heard that saying: Listen to good advice...Yes?

Well ....That time is here now...so listen to good advice.

Do not take the risk and buy any property at all with a Thai person as your partner....all the more so with a Thai Woman as your partner.

Although many people do....all too many regret being involved in any partnerships with a Thai person concerning property transactions...especially if the partner is a Thai women and you are her lover or married to her.

Just to much chance that good intentions will run amuck and you will lose your money.

Rent an apartment and you will be much safer.

Cheers

And many of us don't regret being married to Thai ladies at all.

Many of my friends have married Thai ladies and bought them a house and helped them in business and of the 20 odd guys I know who have done the only one or perhaps two are divorced. Compare that with the divorce rate in the west where it runs at 40% or more.

Perhaps we are lucky, perhaps we did our homework, perhaps we are a little older and wiser, perhaps we are lucky.

At the end of the day all of us are happy.

90% home loan from SCB in her name with repayments over 30 years.

Then your money is safe.

But then, how many guys have a Thai partner that has a real job?

Which she needs to get the home loan.

PS

Make sure the house is in, or near, a big city, so it actually has resale value.

Not something built on her family land in the boonies.

My GF's mortgage is in her name. The house is on her land. She paid the deposit. I give her 50% of the monthly repayments.

THE RULES

1. The mortgage must be in her name. If she's not credit-worthy, dump her.

2. She must pay the deposit in full. If she can't afford it, dump her.

3. Mortgage repayments should be split 50-50. Never pay more than half. If she asks for more, dump her.

4. View the repayments as you would when paying rent. You will never own the house.

IMHO the probability of meeting a Thai GF who can conform to the first three attributes is vanishingly small. Congratulations sir, you won the lottery.clap2.gif

She would probably dump him if he asked for all those demands...lol

All good sound advice, but where are all the ones that got totally ripped off by their gfs...? Would be nice to hear that side of the fence too.

I am going to guess that most of them were involved for very short terms. Older guys do come here and lose their heads over pretty young girls and do stupid things that they would otherwise advise other people not to do and would not do in their home countries…

Whether you are building a house for someone here or back home, take your time and get to know the person first. Then, you simply don't put more on the table then you are willing to lose. Trying to guess at the rules of what might become a big divorce fight is not the way to go. Sounds like no fun at all. Nor is thinking that if you buy her a house, she will love you forever - that is just not how life works.

Anyone who is foolish enough to risk all their money for someone they barely know, well, I feel bad for them - it is not likely to end well.

It happens a lot.Farang meets A Thai woman.She has her parents land.She talks farang into building A house.After living in the house for awhile she tells the farang to get out.Police come and they say to him he has to leave.This has happened a lot.

It happened to me,, and i'm still laughing,

Ive read the thaigirl handbook to marrying farangs. If he doesnt agree to build you a house he doesnt love you.

Rule number 1.

If you're going to marry a farang partner the male would most probably be the main provider if the girl is poor. So what's different?

Most females need security, that's normal

IF You kant differentiate between normal and thai girl marriages. god bless you.

I,ve just had a house built for myself and my TGF paid entirely by me,this money I consider is now gone and you should consider this also.

The law in Thailand regarding house purchase especially is heavily in a Thai,s favour-do not spend any more than you are prepared to walk away from if need be.....this is what I have done.

best wishes with your relationship thumbsup.gif

Quote: "do not spend any more than you are prepared to walk away from if need be."

Best approach. Easily said.

But when a 5 mill Bht "investment" goes down the drain and Farang starts to realize how much the 5 mill would have bought for HIMSELF, the "walking away" takes on a new dimension.

Cheers.

Gents,let me make one point clear I am still happily enjoying my relationship with my GF and enjoying living in our house together,she has no kids and her parents are dead......my initial reply and thoughte are based upon my personal feelings,I spent 1.3 milloin baht on the house but no matter what the cost amounts to consider it water under the bridge,if you cannot afford to walk away from whatever amount you spend then don,t do it in the first place is the best advice I can give wai2.gif

Its all how you look at things. Building a house is like buying toilet paper. Bothe depreciate in value with use...........hahahaha.

Be real. How many village homes get sold for cost of build value? ahhhhh- NONE!

Similar to another poster, I just gave the money and the house has turned out to be a brilliant investment - for my Thai partner.

As I have no financial interest in the place, there's no tension as to my rights about the property. I don't have any. I don't go crazy worrying about protecting my "investment," or about being cheated out of it. It's not my house. I think there are considerable health benefits from not being stressed out about ownership.

Yes, there was a risk in all of this, so maybe I'm just lucky that so far it's worked out as well as it has. The relationship has almost certainly benefitted from zero conflict around ownership issues.

I do help my partner in a business sense, but there my input is expertise. In my opinion, that's a far better contribution to a sane and happy relationship than just handing over the money (and yes, handing over the money is exactly what I did). What I did has worked out OK, but now I know better.

If I were to do it all over again? I might buy an apartment in my name, but in truth it's probably easier to hold onto the money, and just rent. That way it's easier to keep options open, and to find out what happens when I don't meet a Thai partner's expectations about being a "good provider."

I wonder if your be singing the same tune when the relationship comes to a end ?

You need to grow up. Obviously we are at different spectrums where I've had good experiences and maybe you haven't. Don't bother to reply, because your rules show me you're a control freak.

Thank you for replying. You make me laugh!

You accuse me of being a "control freak" and ask me not to reply. I love your irony!

My GF is a former model with two degrees. She and I have a joint mortgage on a property in Thailand's deep south. I would class this as a good experience. We're both quite happy.

You're right when you say you and I are at different ends of the spectrum. I accept Thailand for what it is. I embrace change. I certainly don't talk idiotic twaddle about "traditional women". I see things for what they are.

You, on the other hand, appear confused and rather defensive. Let me guess -- you've just spent a heap of cash on a house owned by an Thai woman who left school at 15.

Fabricus, your guess is correct. And I suppose that makes you and your ex-model G/F with 2 degrees superior persons than me and mine? Or more intelligent? Or more conceited? Now let me guess. You parade your G/F around like a trophy to impress your friends and acquaintances. Apologies, if I've misinterpreted the intention of your G/F's attributes.

The realism I have is I went into my (now three years) relationship with my eyes open, and prepared to gift her the house and walk (bought this year because I trust her) if it all goes sour. She's a farm girl from Tak whose parents could not afford to send her through college, who got into a bad relationship with a Thai husband, and who spent many years working in a factory in Taiwan and S Korea to support her two children, speaks several languages, and we live Chiang Mai while her daughter goes through Uni here. I suppose you wouldn't regard her as being traditional (other than experiencing the typical life pattern of poor girls), and I agree, she's special, and a diamond. Like you, we're both very happy.

As for me, I have my health, I enjoy life, and I welcome having a life partner by my side.

So please stop trying to label or categorise people you know nothing about - that is certainly not 'seeing things for what they are', it's called prejudice. Nevertheless, I expect your ego would encourage you to respond to my post. Up to you.

All good sound advice, but where are all the ones that got totally ripped off by their gfs...? Would be nice to hear that side of the fence too.

I am going to guess that most of them were involved for very short terms. Older guys do come here and lose their heads over pretty young girls and do stupid things that they would otherwise advise other people not to do and would not do in their home countries…

Whether you are building a house for someone here or back home, take your time and get to know the person first. Then, you simply don't put more on the table then you are willing to lose. Trying to guess at the rules of what might become a big divorce fight is not the way to go. Sounds like no fun at all. Nor is thinking that if you buy her a house, she will love you forever - that is just not how life works.

Anyone who is foolish enough to risk all their money for someone they barely know, well, I feel bad for them - it is not likely to end well.

I waited 7 years before we married (I was 56 then) and 3 more years after that before we built the house.

"do not invest any-more than you can afford to lose". should be on the thai coat of arms

Its not investing! A house in the village is the same as a car. Both depreciate all the way down!

Has anyone evr gotten a RETURN of money in a village house let alone a gain?

She's a farm girl from Tak whose parents could not afford to send her through college, who got into a bad relationship with a Thai husband, and who spent many years working in a factory in Taiwan and S Korea to support her two children, speaks several languages, and we live Chiang Mai while her daughter goes through Uni here.

Just wondering how you know what she was doing in Korea and Taiwan?

Amazed how gullible guys are about their girls past.

As for the Thai past, they all tell a similar story.

I waited 7 years before we married (I was 56 then) and 3 more years after that before we built the house.

Just plain common sense.

"do not invest any-more than you can afford to lose". should be on the thai coat of arms

Its not investing! A house in the village is the same as a car. Both depreciate all the way down!

Has anyone evr gotten a RETURN of money in a village house let alone a gain?

It is a ridiculous saying...agreed an investment it is not..it is a gift...30 year lease, usufruct etc...is just the same parcel wrapped differently.

If you are one talking 1,2 or 3 million...just gift it..

If a larger amount..like 5 million..buy a condo..

She's a farm girl from Tak whose parents could not afford to send her through college, who got into a bad relationship with a Thai husband, and who spent many years working in a factory in Taiwan and S Korea to support her two children, speaks several languages, and we live Chiang Mai while her daughter goes through Uni here.

Just wondering how you know what she was doing in Korea and Taiwan?

Amazed how gullible guys are about their girls past.

As for the Thai past, they all tell a similar story.

Why are you always so negative about Thailand and Thai people yet you live here?

Why are you always so negative about Thailand and Thai people yet you live here?

I'm not overly negative about the Thai people, just negative about Thai sex workers living with elderly foreigners.

Who seem to invariably mistreat and abuse the trust and generosity of said elderly foreigners.

I'm married to a Thai, have children that are Thai, and interact with Thais while speaking in Thai.

So I know what Thais generally think of these "old & foolish" foreigners, with their younger "submissive" partners.

Although I prefer to call it "being realistic".

Fabricus already said it better than me,

Westerners talking about "traditional women" are clueless fools. There's no such thing as a traditional woman.

Generous western men are not viewed as "nice guys" or "ideal husbands". They're seen as saps, marks and suckers.

Edited by MaeJoMTB