don't carry your passport around your neck, you look ridiculous!

VIPinthailand

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not leave it locked up and just carry a folded copy of the face page in your back pocket?

and latest permission to stay stamp

Depending on the situation you are in, copies won't work. People have been held at the police station until someone comes with the real passport. Just an FYI....

Do not carry your passport on you, its stupid if you lose it.

Carry a copy of picture page and visa page.

If nicked you can just go and get the original to show them.

Try getting a new passport when you have lost it !!!!!!!

loads of time and money wasted.

If you leave town then yes you need it on you.

but around town , no way.

Why not leave it locked up and just carry a folded copy of the face page in your back pocket?

Depending on the situation you are in, copies won't work. People have been held at the police station until someone comes with the real passport. Just an FYI....

True, But weighing risk of loosing passport vs. being held at police station I still opt for keeping passport in hotel safe.

or better yet - make a credit card sized copy and laminate it. The reverse side should show your valid visa extension (if you have one).

They are very useful in many situations. For example, when you need to sign contracts, register SIM cards, collect shopping rewards etc etc. Most places accept a copy. Even the bank accepted it for change of address.

Warning! If you carry a passport in your pocket, take it out before put your pants in the laundry basket.biggrin.png

True, But weighing risk of loosing passport vs. being held at police station I still opt for keeping passport in hotel safe.

As long as you've got somebody to call to get it for you. Otherwise, it's a long wait in the jail cell, and sometimes, after about 24 hours or so, off to Bangkok you go. It happens. And I'd bet they wish they'd carried their passport on them....it's rare, but does happen.

As long as you've got somebody to call to get it for you. Otherwise, it's a long wait in the jail cell, and sometimes, after about 24 hours or so, off to Bangkok you go. It happens. And I'd bet they wish they'd carried their passport on them....it's rare, but does happen.

Man stop Scaremongering.wai2.gif

Man stop Scaremongering.wai2.gif

You don't have to follow this thread. But what I've posted has happened. Just don't want someone to read this and think they'll never had problems if they don't carry their passport or if they only have a copy. The rules are perfectly vague and not uniformly enforced.

I don't carry my passport, but can get it very easily if needed. Not everybody is in that same situation.

or better yet - make a credit card sized copy and laminate it. The reverse side should show your valid visa extension (if you have one).

They are very useful in many situations. For example, when you need to sign contracts, register SIM cards, collect shopping rewards etc etc. Most places accept a copy. Even the bank accepted it for change of address.

Warning! If you carry a passport in your pocket, take it out before put your pants in the laundry basket.biggrin.png

I washed my passport once. Was fine. Used it for another few years until it expired without any issues.

Everyone should carry there passports on them at all times.

its the law in Thailand.

Have a nice day

Unless you know the law, please don't say this. It's not the law. The law is vague, but basically says you need to prove within a reasonable time that you are in the Kingdom legally. Which in most people's case, is a passport and valid visa stamp. Copies can be faked. Reasonable is the key word. Could be immediately to one cop, and tomorrow to another.

There is no better place than in a pouch hanging around your neck, but UNDER your shirt/top.

Outside your shirt, and you're a target to have it stolen.

In a flat money belt under your clothes is not so good, too much chance of having the pic creased or chip damaged.

I washed my passport once. Was fine. Used it for another few years until it expired without any issues.

LOL. My wife's passport didn't fare so well. It was still readable, but not acceptable for international travel.

LOL. My wife's passport didn't fare so well. It was still readable, but not acceptable for international travel.

had mine in the pocket of my hard shell jacket,while walking in the rain i did not close the pocket completely and the rain got in it looked fine to me but the alian

police gave me a hard time and i had to replace it,it was 6 months old exspensive mistake.

I could be wrong; however, I would think if you have a Thai driving licence you don't need the passport as well.

Thai DL doesn't confirm your immigration status, so it's not adequate for some purposes. Still, that's what I carry around, along with the phone number of our corporate attorney. The one that deals with immigration issues.

And I acknowledge that I'm taking my chances as opposed to risking my passport getting lost or stolen. It's a balance.

Craig's advice has been excellent, if not well received. None of us is happy to hear what we don't like...

In 5+ years living here, I've been stopped once. I showed my passport card and was told OK. I keep current photo images of my main page, my R-stamp and my 90 day check-in paper on phone. Taking the pics with my camera date/time stamps the images and the resolution is such that all dates are readable.

And to be sure, I don't put myself in situations where an officer may wish to task me for the real book but if one ever does, I'll gladly oblige and without reservation.

Traveling by road within the kingdom..., same applies. I leave at home and hope the issue of retrieving it will never arise but I understand the risk, albeit nominal, that this could happen. Still I'll leave it home.

I remember when i was living in Spain in the early 90's and we had the same carry on over there! It was the law that we carried our ID ( or Passport ) with us at all times or face a fine.I just used to carry a photo copy with me which was ok until i met a cop having a bad day or just had a row with his wife......

F.J x coffee1.gif

Agree 100%. Especially since I have a triple entry visa in mine.

Archived