don't carry your passport around your neck, you look ridiculous!

VIPinthailand

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
don't carry your passport around your neck, you look ridiculous!

that's good advice, but whose neck should I carry my passport around?

Edit because I could not spell the word " I "

I usually use a mule, its convenient for jewels and binoculars as well

So long as it's not a camel, that could get you into trouble....cheesy.gif

1st.It bothers you the way some people dress.I don't pay any attention.I could care less if he wants to wrap something around his

Neck.

About caring passport.I have been comings to Thailand since 1971.Except whenn traveling I only carry aka copy with me.Never had

A problem with police.

i wear a $40,000 USD rolex.....people think it's fake

i have a $100,000 gold necklace, people think i bought it at sunday market

i even made pants out of $100 USD bills.....just in case

yea, that's how i roll...

don't like???? well, don't come into my gated community with private jet!!!

Well my Passport has stayed in the safe the last 23 years and thats precisely where its staying. Nobody in their right mind takes their Passport out and about with them 24/7

Well my Passport has stayed in my pocket the last 15 years and thats precisely where its staying. Nobody in their right mind leaves their Passport in the safe 24/7.

This topic has been done to death...Thai Govt has said a copy of your passport and visa is all you need...preferably laminated back to back for ease of carrying and water proofing....

One representative of one faction in the government has made such a statement, rapidly followed by rebuttals from other members of other factions of the government.

It will continue to get done to death because the rules are clear as mud and enforcement is as transient as the wind.

Craig's posted great advice- it's on you to decide which you'd rather risk- getting in trouble for not having it, or losing it while carrying it around.

Well my Passport has stayed in the safe the last 23 years and thats precisely where its staying. Nobody in their right mind takes their Passport out and about with them 24/7

Well my Passport has stayed in my pocket the last 15 years and thats precisely where its staying. Nobody in their right mind leaves their Passport in the safe 24/7.

I have and I am in my right mind.

Stays in the house unless I am traveled out of the province.

No issues in 10 years.

Do you take the safe as carry on luggage or do you check it in ?

Why not leave it locked up and just carry a folded copy of the face page in your back pocket?

and latest permission to stay stamp

You mean the one that you copied from your friend's passport who isn't on overstay?

Sshhhh!

Edit: That's one of the issues with any copy- easy to Photoshop nowadays.

I have and I am in my right mind.

Stays in the house unless I am traveled out of the province.

No issues in 10 years.

Agree...15 years in LOS and only one police interaction at a traffic checkpoint, and they weren't interested in my immigration status. Passport stays in the safe unless I'm traveling overnight either within or without The Kingdom.

I have a pdf copy of my passport on my phone. When I arrive I take a photo of the page with the entry stamp so both are now on my phone. Passport stays in the house. Never once been asked for my passport so cannot comment on whether this would satisfy the police.

Just out of curiosity, anyone had their passport stolen from a hotel safe?

I leave mine at home even on extended overnight trips (yeah, I acknowledge the risk) because I've heard too many stories about valuables going missing from hotel safes, in room and lobby.

Or is that just paranoid?

So let me get this right. You go Beach, Bars, Swimming, Clubbing, Shopping with your most prized asset in your back pocket.....??

But that's preferable to a safe !!

Forget the safe then. So obviously you carry around wedges of Travellers Cheques, Thai Currency, Home Currency, Credit Cards, Debit Cards around 24/7 as they will cause a great deal more heartache if they go pair shaped and missing then a mere passport....??

In addition there are a 101 hiding places in every home or hotel room where a single passport can be stored safely. Start looking around you right now

Some people are simply afraid of their own shadows.

Edited to add......Ignoring standard road blocks up Country driving when get asked to show it routinely only once ever else have I been driving in Pattaya with a "claimed" driving infraction. I'm out of the car before he's even stopped moving. "Whats the problem officer" open palms and wide smile.

Passport sir........Back my house Soi Nernplabwan hop in the car we'll go get it say I.....He smiles "ok no problem"

End of traffic infringement. You simply do not need your passport 24/7 but its certainly acceptable for Plod to ask you to produce it within 24 hours etc. Absolutely agree with that

Keep in mind that there are different types of "police." The BIB that stop you for speeding are police. The Immigrations Officers on Soi 5 are also police. The former is more likely to accept a credit-card sized laminated copy of the passport front page. The latter is more interested in seeing the real passport and examining the front page, the visa/extension stamp and (if applicable) a 90-day report form. As CraigT said, there is much room for interpretation as to how soon you must present the passport if requested.

End of traffic infringement. You simply do not need your passport 24/7 but its certainly acceptable for Plod to ask you to produce it within 24 hours etc. Absolutely agree with that

My 3 Cardinal Rules of Living in Asia:

1) Just because someone else did it, doesn't mean I'll get away with it.

2) Just because I did it that way last time, doesn't mean it will work next time

3) Just because I think that's how it happened, doesn't mean it happened that way- even if I honestly believe I know; I may have completely misunderstood what just happened.

You can produce it within 24 hours, but on rare occasion, you'll wait in the hoosgaw until you do produce it. Which puts you into a conundrum unless you can call someone to bring it...

You can produce it within 24 hours, but on rare occasion, you'll wait in the hoosgaw until you do produce it. Which puts you into a conundrum unless you can call someone to bring it...

Codswallop utter tripe,Sorry.....

You simply do not get locked in a Police Cell because you cannot produce it on the spot. This is not Iraq under Saddams direction.

So single travellers by your definition would stay in the Cells indefinately as I for one wouldn't give out a safe combination or the whereabouts of a key to simply anyone.

Plod most welcome to accompany me to get it.

Archived