I bought a motorcycle and have a red plate, what do i do now?

hansomman

I bought a motorcycle in Pattaya a few months ago, and was given a red plate. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do in term of getting a white plate. My friend said it's illegal to drive around on the red plate after 1 month.

Is there a place I'm supposed to go to get the white plate?

Did you buy it new from a dealer? If so, they will contact you when the white plate arrives and then change it. I had to wait about 6 weeks and have a friend who is still waiting after 2 months,

You need no road tax whilst having the red plate, as the dealer supplies that at the time of changing the plates.

If you purchased it privately then you should chase up the previous owner.

I understand the use of red plates is quite common with Thai's as they don't need to show the tax disc if stopped. Also demonstrates "Look, my car is new" mentality.

Yes I bought it from a dealer. I guess I should go back and ask about the plate?

Also, when I bought the motorcycle they told me I had to pay 15K for "big insurance, same same big car". If I crash how do I use this "big insurance"? I don't have a insurance card or anything, just an envelope of papers the dealer gave me.

Also, I was never given a "green book". I'm not sure how the motorcycle is registered or how I will ever sell it. Any advice?

Edited by hansomman

Yes I bought it from a dealer. I guess I should go back and ask about the plate?

Also, when I bought the motorcycle they told me I had to pay 15K for "big insurance, same same big car". If I crash how do I use this "big insurance"? I don't have a insurance card or anything, just an envelope of papers the dealer gave me.

Also, I was never given a "green book". I'm not sure how the motorcycle is registered or how I will ever sell it. Any advice?

I'm no guru on this subject, just want to give you my experience.

I bought my bike for cash and was issued with the white plates by the dealer as I explained. Also, they supplied me with automatic insurance for theft etc. No mention of the need for further additional insurance. Your tax disc includes government basic insurance. Whether you top up is obviously up to you.

Now, if you purchased your bike on HP then that might well be different. There might be a requirement for extra insurance in that case.

The green book (if you paid cash) will also be given to you by the dealer when they change plates. If HP, then the green book will be retained by the bank (of finance company) until you finish paying the installments. Even in the case of HP you should still have white plates after a short period.

Yes, take your receipt and go back to the dealers where you bought the bike, and ask they if have your white plate. If so,they will swap it over for the red one, and if you paid a small deposit for the red plate, they should return that as well. They should also give you your green book, which you will need to buy the tax.

It might be an idea to take all the papers they gave you along, and ask them to show you which is the the insurance certificate.

My white plate took three months to arrive at the dealership.

Check you service manual for when your first service is due as well. Normally around the 4000-ish km mark for a scooter.

As you are a hansomman you should have been able to pull a chick who can read and speak some English, if not borrow one. Best to get her to explain what is what and maybe even go with you to the shop.

Edited by JAS21

Where I live you don't get any plates at all for 45 days.

Reason for this is a grace period when the seller can wait 45 days before register the sale with DLT.

Bike is insured on its VIN.

To save every possible satang seller (yamaha) will get your plates at the last possible moment.

I can myself go to DLT and get the plates.

I will have to pay the year tax upfront instead of letting yamaha pay it.

One last thought in this weird country (to some extent).

Did you leave your mobile phone number with the dealer.? In both cases of my car and m'bike purchase they telephoned me when my white plates had arrived.

The reason I say 'weird' is that no-one seems interested in your address - simply your phone number. I say this because I went to my bank to advise them of a change of address. They weren't interested in having an address, even though I've been with them for 7 years.

The country seems to only work on the basis of mobile phone numbers as the only source of contact. Spooky.

It's weird of course that plates are not part of the the vehicles life cycle.

Sell with one single plate and keep it until the scrap heap.

Same as in us, new owners new plates, change of state new plates.

Waste of time, money and resources of planet earth.

...please do not tell me you paid 15,000 EXTRA for insurance.....

...and 'bought a few months ago'......what......the.......!@#$%^&*(.......

...whose advice were you following....and why didn't you inform yourself before plunking down the cash....

...got any for me......???

White plates here are "life cycle" plates.

Red plates for cars are temporary plates till the car is fully registered to the owner or the finance company (in case of a loan). The red plates come with a brown book (if you didn't get a brown book that means the plates are fake...).

I've never seen a temporary red plate for a bike. When I bought my new bike few years ago I got no plate, just the tax receipts, and about 4-6 weeks later the dealer called me to come pick up the white plate.

There is a different type of red plate for bikes. It has only been around for the last few years and it is a permanent plate. I was told (not verified) that it has something to do with lower tax, and limits the bike to a certain area or province. The bike is not supposed to travel outside of that area, although I've seen such bikes in other provinces than the one on written on the plate. I don't know if such plates get a green or any other color book.

As for the green book, as someone already mentioned, you get it with the plate IF you paid cash for the bike. If you financed it the book stays at the finance company and you only get a photocopy of the front page (with the bike's and owner's details) and the tax page. Every year after you pay the tax the finance company will send you a new copy of those pages.

15000 THB insurance sounds like first class insurance for a big bike, not a scooter.

A red plate is like aTrader's Plate and is requitred to be on any vehicle whilst awaiting the registration plates and documents from the registry office in the province you bought the cycle. it is illegal to use a vehicle in Thailand without any plate affixed be it red or otherwise but you do see many vehilces drivng without plates.These people have not paid any fees to hire the red plates, which is refunded upon the attainment of the normal registration plates.

A fee, normally B3,000, is required to hire these plates, however, I don't know if it's applicable to a motorcycle but I would think so, as when I bought my vehicle I was given a log book, which had to be filled out daily for any journey made, especially if going out of your province. If caught without one, a fine is applicable but how much I have no idea.

It takes anything up to three months for the registration to be issued and if you paid cash, then the bike will be registered in your name. If on finance, the finance company is issued with the regstration book and at the end of the finance period, it will be transferred. Once you have the registration book, blue for a motor vehicle, I don't know if its the same colour or different for a motorcycle but you will then be able to seel it without any problem, should you so desire.

Insofar as insurance, it is what they classify as number 1 (full comprehensive) and you shold have been provided details of the insurer and their contact details. What happens in an accident, is you contact the insurer, who will send a broker to the scene to act on your behalf and under no circumstances should you admit fault to anyone, even if it's obvious that you might be

The broker is acting on your behalf and the insurer and, if he is worht his salt, with safeguard your interests at all costs. If you feel that the broker is not acting in your interest, then contact the insurer and tell them so. He will be replaced very quickly, I can assure you as on tyhis aspect I am speaking from experience. It will also help if you can speak a little Thai, believe me,if you can, it will help you, no end. If you cannot then it will pay to know someone who can speak both english and Thai to assist you should anything unfortunate happen.

Hope this has helped a little.

I would add - look through all paperwork received from the dealer. I have never seen any insurance sold here without an Insurance company - or agents - name in Western Script. All the major companies have english speaking staff. Phone them, start to speak English, you will probably be put on hold, an English speaking person will come on the line, state your policy number and ask away. Or even better, find the insurance company office in the town where you live and walk in.

No.

Beacuse you have district name on plate and if someone wishes to have a different district they may change plates.

Life cycle plates are distributed by federal government, country not the state/district , given to vehicle as soon as it's registered by importer or manufacturer.

Already attached to vehicle when you see it the in shop for the first time.

A prerequisite to be able to put vehicle into traffic.

You get it from your dealer. I waited 6 months for mine. Bought mine from maithai. Was a big misstake because i heard that maybe he delayed it so he can have cheaper tax after6 months

It took about one week here in Bangkok when I bought my motorcycle. This was a couple of months ago.

No.

Beacuse you have district name on plate and if someone wishes to have a different district they may change plates.

Life cycle plates are distributed by federal government, country not the state/district , given to vehicle as soon as it's registered by importer or manufacturer.

Already attached to vehicle when you see it the in shop for the first time.

A prerequisite to be able to put vehicle into traffic.

Nobody is forcing you to change plates when you change provinces.