Road to Pai

JT65

Hi All

Currently with wife and kids in Mae Sariang and headed to Mae Hong Son tomorrow for a few days.

Was then coming back to CM through Pai but had a relative in Mae Sariang say they believe it best to avoid road from Pai to CM

ANY RECENT UPDATE ON ROADWORKS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Cheers

JT65

If any rain or on a bike not a good idea....

Absolutely no coordination of efforts & and no real flagmen to speak of....

They will be lucky to have done in 6-8 months.....They are doing several different stretches of road.....

A friend that just got back from Pai riding a 650 BMW said it was the worst ride he'd ever done......He's been riding for over 30 years....

They were dozing trees onto the road when we went through....No flagger just had to gauge the speed and tumble of the trees and dislodged snapping branches while the equipment was more about working the trees than the cars that had to get by in one lane or less from both directions....

Enjoy that drive from Mae Sariang to Pai, it's a cracker. Take it easy.

Where you staying in Mae Sariang? We stayed Riverhouse Hotel (The Wooden House); reviewed it on TripAdvisor, lovely hotel. We regret not staying more than one night in Mae Sariang. In MHS we stayed The Imperial and in Pai we stayed The Quarter, both were excellent.

It's dusty like hell but won't add much more driving time also it seems they making good process after 6 month of work I guess it will take until late next year for them to finish what they started. Honda dream driver.

Edited by blueyeshk

Should be "fun" over New Year period laugh.png

It's always dangerous this part of the year but at least they get slow downed now by the road works. Btw one more thing to consider is that they let you drive over still wet tar dirt for a couple of hundred meters so don't complain about a hard to clean if not forever stained vehicle if you use your own. Edited by blueyeshk

It's always dangerous this part of the year but at least they get slow downed now by the road works. Btw one more thing to consider is that they let you drive over still wet tar dirt for a couple of hundred meters so don't complain about a hard to clean if not forever stained vehicle if you use your own.

I was thinking more like it's going to be one long, slow moving traffic jam. Bring BKK driving to northern Thailand laugh.png

Wont catch me on that road over NY, it's bad enough without roadworks thumbsup.gif

It's dusty like hell but won't add much more driving time also it seems they making good process after 6 month of work I guess it will take until late next year for them to finish what they started. Honda dream driver.

Yes a friend of mine lives up there and comes down here at least once every month. He has said in the last three months each one has been an improvement. Still a lot of work to do.

It's always dangerous this part of the year but at least they get slow downed now by the road works. Btw one more thing to consider is that they let you drive over still wet tar dirt for a couple of hundred meters so don't complain about a hard to clean if not forever stained vehicle if you use your own.

My bike is splattered with the tar under the mudguards and the front forks and elsewhere it is a right job trying to remove it. I'm getting the cleaning shop to remove it they said they will spray with a solvent wait an hour and jet wash it.

As for the dust kicked up by 4 wheel drives not slowing down it got into my eyes and took 2 days for the irritation to ease. Make sure to keep your windows closed or if on a bike use goggles or a full face helemt with visor.

Any updates, going up that way next week?

Thanks

Just talked to my friend in Pai.

He was down here two weeks ago.

Says as has been mentioned that a car will defiantly take some cleaning after going over it with the tar and the dust.

Parts of it can be very slippery on a bike. Recommends a Bus.

He tells me the temperature in the night and morning is low down to 5 degrees some times 25 in the day time.

Some of the places do not have enough blankets for that cool so you might want to consider that. Don't know what your tolerance is or maybe you know where you are staying just mentioning it in case.

Don't go if you don't have too- all pai has to offer can easily done in and around Chiang Mai (even better). In addition they have a huge waste problem with many waste dumping site in the valley filling up rapidly and get burned finally so you will inhale toxic fumes from multiple sites and directions no matter were the wind blows.

Edited by blueyeshk

Don't go if you don't have too- all pai has to offer can easily done in and around Chiang Mai (even better). In addition they have a huge waste problem with many waste dumping site in the valley filling up rapidly and get burned finally so you will inhale toxic fumes from multiple sites and directions no matter were the wind blows.

I was asking about the road which is the what the thread is related to.

Just done it 50% finished now no more wet tar at least not now. Still dusty but good progress. One issue we will for sure deal with is much more fatal accidents as many reckless driver already feel encouraged of the 1-2m wider road with new surface still the curves remain the same and where in the past potholes and narrow lanes slowed down the traffic you can already feel how they speed up even road not finish yet. So I consider the new road now even with bigger busses more dangerous than before once it's finish. Only the guaranteed appearance of new potholes and other damaged due to heavy traffic and land movements in 1 or two years time will make the road a bit safer again. I felt myself tempted to increase the speed while knowing I shouldn't .

Did the trip up on Monday much quicker and easier than anticipated based on responses although I would not recommend going up on a motorcycle until the work is more complete.

Weather gorgeous, early morning mists,around 8C in the morning rising to mid/upper 20's in the afternoon. Very little sight or smell of smoke compared to Chiangmai when we left.

Overall very pleasant and relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this trip just before Christmas and the bike still has tar on it, even after being sprayed with solvent and jet-washed twice. I love biking but this was not enjoyable, although with an off-road bike it would be good. An off duty cop who has to take that road regularly, said that the initial completion date of mid January is now likely to be at least a month late. He says that the reason the work is being done now is that work has to begin when the budget for the repairs is allocated.