Monosex Tilapia

Bobtippit

Tried the fisheries dept they breed like rabbits and seem to get way too many undersized, also tried another supplier I found in kalasin near the Tesco lotus, all grew to around the same size but again ended up with a pond full of fry. Think I'll try Nam Sai.

Thanks.

Don't know much about fish, but could it be a feed issue?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is not a feed issue. It is well known that the fish spend too much time breeding to grow.

Yep, its hard to eat and grow when your carrying around a mouthful of your offspring.

• 2 weeks later...

When you find one I need one too. Kalasin also.

I'll start looking.

Been in touch with Nam Sai today, they gave me a phone no of a farm in Sakon Nakhon, gave them a call and they say they'll have fish ready early new year.

Let me know if your interested and I'll send you the no on.

Even with sex-reversed tilapia, it is not uncommon to have up to 5% females. If you dump 1000 fry that would be 50 females. They can breed at about 4 months and can have quite a bit of fry. If you are doing intensive rearing and clean out your pond in 6-8 months then is shouldn't be a serious issue, but any longer and the exponential growth of fry can overwhelm your pond. I have no data, but feel that going with Nam Sai would probably give less than about 2% female. There are lots of private hatcheries that are not adept at administering the hormones involve and obviously that would make a big difference

If you are just maintaining the pond for personal enjoyment you can introduce a predator like catfish, snakehead.....ect

Raise your tilapia in a net and cull the 20% smallest at about 3 months (females tend to be smaller). This would not guarantee no females, but would reduce the number. Raising all of your fish in nets eliminates recruitment as the spawn fall through the bottom. The second advantage is that periodically you can sort your fish by size as smaller fish have trouble competing for food and that in turn keeps them smaller.