Where To Move?

radioguy1450

Hello,

I am a Westerner living in Taipei. Planning to move to Thailand next year. Wondering what cities I should look at?

I am looking for something with a large enough population to have some comforts like a Tesco type store, good availabilty of ADSL, etc...

Would also like a city that, unlike Taipei, has some beauty (a tree or two, hills, beaches, sunsets)

Have heard good things about Pattaya but wondering if there are other places I should look at as well.

Work availability is not an issue.

thanks in advance for any info

Bruce

Taipai has some beauty (a tree or two,...)

Sounds like Bangkok :o

What do you prefer? Really big cities? There are just two (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) or do you like smaller ones? Beachside, hillside, rural surrounding? Many foreigners? What is important for you? If you answer some of these question, everybody can suggest something.

ADSL is throughout the country. Any of the medium-large towns have it.

I recently moved to Pattaya from Bangkok. Pattaya is more westernised than most other parts and has shopping malls, cinemas, good selection of international cuisine and plenty of English speaking people. I've travelled to most other parts but have only lived in Bkk and Pattaya, so I can't really comment on other towns. But I'd recommend Pattaya.

East Pattaya for me. Golf, countyside, good people, close to new airport, schools and motorway to BK. Close to all the facilities of Patters, but far enough away to avoid the parts which the Pattaya Bashers ( and boy are there a few of those on TV ) will tell you about adnauseam any time now. :o

Dear Radio Guy,

Just to note ADSL in Thailand is generally very poor, it surprised me when I just moved here.This forum is always complaining, I think quite rightly about ISPs. I don't live in Bangkok but understand Bkk is OK for this? Is Pattaya, Chiang Mai? From reading posts and my own experience outside these areas it is early 20th century.

This is a reality I choose to get used to where I live!

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

While I much prefer Bangkok over the rest of the country, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, another area to consider is the Cha Am, Hua Hin area. Many foreigners tend to prefer Pattaya, as it is near several large industrial estates and therefore a great deal more westernized. However, if you prefer more of a local flavor with international standards, and don't want a large city such as Bangkok, then go where the locals prefer. There is a great deal of information on it on the internet.

Pattaya, best of both words. Big city amenities with small city feel. Beaches (though not the greatest, but beaches none the less), value for your money when it comes to cost of living. And just a few min outside the city it gets less touristy and more rural. So basicaly just about everything you could want is reasonably close to each other.

Taipai has some beauty (a tree or two,...)

Sounds like Bangkok :o

What do you prefer? Really big cities? There are just two (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) or do you like smaller ones? Beachside, hillside, rural surrounding? Many foreigners? What is important for you? If you answer some of these question, everybody can suggest something.

Well actually, only Bangkok is big.......

Chiangmai is smaller than Pattaya, Nakornrathasima, Khon Kaen , Ubon or Udon. On a bad traffic day you can drive from one side of the city to the other in 20 minutes.

To me, there is no better place to live in Thailand. I enjoy visiting Pattaya and Bangkok, but wouldn't want to live there........

Nobody has mentioned Phuket/Krabi... if you like beaches, yachting, or general outdoor water activities... southern Thailand is beautiful. In addition, the expatriate community is growing larger and larger.

If you choose Pattaya and choose to live in a condo be sure not to stay any higher than the second floor. :o

Yep :D Seems there is something in the air if you go higher, you will feel an uncotrollable will to descend :D

Pattaya, best of both words. Big city amenities with small city feel. Beaches (though not the greatest, but beaches none the less), value for your money when it comes to cost of living. And just a few min outside the city it gets less touristy and more rural. So basicaly just about everything you could want is reasonably close to each other.

I don't go to Pattaya very often, so this is very much a question and not a comment. Has Pattaya been cleaned up?

In the past it has had a sleazy reputation (too many go go bars, etc.) and was known to be controlled by different mafias (Russian etc.). I know this is one of the reasons the upper class Thai's have preferred to take weekend trips to the Cha Am/Hua Hin area, even though it takes twice as long to drive from Bangkok. Also, with the King and Queen spending a good deal of time at their palace in Hua Hin, they feel safe. Is Pattaya now similar to Cha Am/Hua Hin in these regards?

Nope - nothing inparticular attractive about Pattaya - overcrowded, still dirty (alhtough big improvement) - doesn't offer anything you cant better, cheaper or more pleasent else where in the country - except a hedonistic night life if that is your cup of tea.

....and the way construction just continues suggests it will just continue to get more crowded.

Tim

I have spent equal time visiting Hua Hin and Pattaya but am not an expert as I have not lived in either city. I have not decided yet which place I would prefer to live because they both have pros and cons but have noticed the following differences based on my limited experiences in these cities.

Hua Hin is much cleaner and the ocean in less polluted. (I will swim at the beaches in HH but not in Pattaya.)

Pattaya has many more activities and things to do for farangs than HH.

Real estate in Hua Hin is more expensive than Pattaya.

Pattaya is closer to Bangkok than HH which could be an advantage to certain people.

Pattaya is closer to the new airport than HH

Many-many more girls in Pattaya than HH

It appears that closer attention is focused on keeping things clean and orderly in HH than in Pattaya (probably because of the King and Queen residing there.)

HH seems to be a big destination for many Scandanavians whereas Pattaya seems to be the big destination of the English and Germans. (being an American, I do not know which is better so will let you Euro's decide that one ! :o

I am sure that there are many more major differences between these cities that other forum posters can contribute.

East Pattaya for me. Golf, countyside, good people, close to new airport, schools and motorway to BK. Close to all the facilities of Patters, but far enough away to avoid the parts which the Pattaya Bashers ( and boy are there a few of those on TV ) will tell you about adnauseam any time now. :D

Oh dear, cue Maggot6... :o

I don't go to Pattaya very often, so this is very much a question and not a comment. Has Pattaya been cleaned up?

In the past it has had a sleazy reputation (too many go go bars, etc.) and was known to be controlled by different mafias (Russian etc.). I know this is one of the reasons the upper class Thai's have preferred to take weekend trips to the Cha Am/Hua Hin area, even though it takes twice as long to drive from Bangkok. Also, with the King and Queen spending a good deal of time at their palace in Hua Hin, they feel safe. Is Pattaya now similar to Cha Am/Hua Hin in these regards?

most definitely, it reminds me of small, christian-themed family-fun-park.

Edited by t.s

I like the vibe in HH.

I always feel safe and the town is clean.

Most falangs are quite well-behaved, ie. not many balcony astronauts or idiots sitting in their vomit.

People take great pride in the King living there and it seems to keep people on their toes.

Its still very much a Thai town but with enough western overlay to keep falangs happy.

Its my choice.

Pattaya Number One :o For me the city has everything you can ask for: close to airports (Suwarnabhumi and U-tapao), close to BKK, beaches (not the cleanest but still...), top class shopping and eating, ladies in abundance, movies etc, etc. Close to Samet, Chang, great bus connections to the rest of the country.

An international atmosphere that's hard to beat.

Cheers

most definitely, it reminds me of small, christian-themed family-fun-park

:D

Pattaya always reminds me of any number of mediterranean resorts. The only difference is the girls are mostly Thai. Other than that I don't find much "Thai style" about the place at all.

Just my own observation.I understand a large number of farangs love it there, so it must be me. :o

Either that or i'm obviously not in the "club" :D

I lived in Narklua, just on the outskirt of Pattaya for a little over seven years, I first moved there in 1988.

I wouldn't choose to live in Pattaya again, but there's something that really p1sses me of, statements along the lines of "Pattaya is Not Thai/land", or 'There's no Thai culture in Thailand"

My children (not Thai) are fluent in Thai, they can rattle off Thai folklore, Thai ghost stories, they are well versed in Thai religous culture (not all of it Budhist) and they learned the majority of that in Pattaya.

I know Pattaya is not what it was in the late 80s early 90s but still has a lot to offer and I think for people who want to enjoy Thailand without having to learn the language and who want the support of an expat community, then Pattaya has a great deal to offer.

Hello,

I am a Westerner living in Taipei. Planning to move to Thailand next year. Wondering what cities I should look at?

I am looking for something with a large enough population to have some comforts like a Tesco type store, good availabilty of ADSL, etc...

Would also like a city that, unlike Taipei, has some beauty (a tree or two, hills, beaches, sunsets)

Have heard good things about Pattaya but wondering if there are other places I should look at as well.

Work availability is not an issue.

thanks in advance for any info

Bruce

its a difficult call.

probably best to choose one without any long term commitment and be prepared to move on.

what you want in your list is not fully covered by any 1 place, but you might want to start off with Jomtien for some beach life decompression....and take it from there...

I wouldn't choose to live in Pattaya again, but there's something that really p1sses me of, statements along the lines of "Pattaya is Not Thai/land", or 'There's no Thai culture in Pattaya"

sorry GH, edited your post for my quote, that's what you wanted it to say wasn't it? :o

I agree, it annoys me too, all those 'Pattaya is not Thailand' statments, what rubbish.

It really depends on your lifestyle.I moved from Bangkok after living there for 5 years straight.I checked Pattaya out a few times and didn't like it,to dirty,to crowded,to much sex oriented lifestyles.I moved to Nong Khai,where life is so much better.Good sized falang community mixed with tourists or visa runners.Best weather in Thailand ,cleanest air,friendliest Thai attitudes towards falangs including police.We have Tesco,great transportation,good roads.No bowling alley or English speaking movies,but Udon is just 50Km away on the best highway stretch in Thailand.I can ride a bicyle all around easily all day long.I pay 4500 baht per month for almost what I had in Bangkok for 35000!Plenty of girls available if that is your interest.Alot of young working girls rotate over from Laos regularly.Everything is here,but not in your face.It is very nice,right on the Mekong river,which has a cooling effect.We can fly to BKK in one hour,we are on the main train line(overnight train is great)!There was a Florida retirement magazine poll that listed Nong Khai as the 7th best place in the world for retirement.Great golf courses,decent gym,swimming pools!