Ex-finance deputy permanent secretary Anuthep arrested

webfact

Ex-finance deputy permanent secretary Anuthep arrested

BANGKOK: -- Former deputy permanent secretary of finance Anuthep Uthensoot was arrested Sunday evening at the Thai-Cambodian border immigration police checkpoint in Aranyaprathet by police on charges of public fraud.

The arrest was made by a police team led by Pol Col Sathit Sangprapai, a superintendent attached to the metropolitan police in accordance with an arrest warrant.

An informed police source said that Mr Anuthep was about to leave the country for Cambodia through the Aranyaprathet-Poipet border checkpoint.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ex-finance-deputy-permanent-secretary-anuthep-arrested

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-07

Nicked at in the nick of time before he could join the ever growing club of crocks, scoundrels and

the corrupt beyond explanation as how the got their wealth from...

I think you mean crooks, anyway.

It is just a changing of the guard, a new set of snouts at the trough, a redirecting of income streams, a shift in the balance of power.

Your post implies a fundamental rethink of the way corruption is dealt with under the current regime. There has been no evidence that is the case. To the contrary, there is significant evidence that it is business as usual as stated in my second paragraph.

Nicked at in the nick of time before he could join the ever growing club of crocks, scoundrels and

There's still more than a few of the ' corrupt beyond explanation ' brigade still in the country though and with nothing much to worry about unless they offend or upset a certain someone.

I wonder what happened to the three non corrupt officials in this country and if they were still bullied or shunned by their colleagues?

There are now only two. One left the country in disgust.

According to another public newspaper we can't link to he was wanted on an arrest warrant issued by the Min Buri Provincial Court in August for colluding with others to open a company to operate a pyramid scheme that defrauded people out of 12 million baht in investments in stem cell-related products.

It is just a changing of the guard, a new set of snouts at the trough, a redirecting of income streams, a shift in the balance of power.

Your post implies a fundamental rethink of the way corruption is dealt with under the current regime. There has been no evidence that is the case. To the contrary, there is significant evidence that it is business as usual as stated in my second paragraph.

Ohhh ..... Briggsy, You are such a pessimist... Why do you say "It is just a changing of the guard. ? Do you really want Thailand run by thieving politicians ? The likes of Thaksin and his crony's ?

Please give us an example of present corruption being allowed by this present government.. just one example will do... Words come cheap Briggsy and seems to me that people like you that spout off with no substance do NOT help the "farang cause" in Thailand . Without some type of evidence, please, shut the flock up... Just another TV anal orifice comes to mind.!

"Please give us an example of present corruption being allowed by this present government"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/876618-rajabhakti-park-closed-for-renovation-monday/

Beat me to it.

And if that is not enough, the quick ending of any further investigation into military involvement into the kidnapping, trafficking and murder of Rohingyas for big profits.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/10/thailand-must-end-its-own-rohingya-atrocity/

Edited by Briggsy

Ohhh ..... Briggsy, You are such a pessimist... Why do you say "It is just a changing of the guard. ? Do you really want Thailand run by thieving politicians ? The likes of Thaksin and his crony's ?

Please give us an example of present corruption being allowed by this present government.. just one example will do... Words come cheap Briggsy and seems to me that people like you that spout off with no substance do NOT help the "farang cause" in Thailand . Without some type of evidence, please, shut the flock up... Just another TV anal orifice comes to mind.!

Ohhhh Bakseeda, you're so naive. Please give us an example as to how things are different now.

"Do you really want Thailand run by thieving politicians ? The likes of Thaksin and his crony's ?"

None of us want this country to be run by thieving politicians, and that includes all former governments as well as the present one.

"Please give us an example of present corruption being allowed by this present government.. just one example will do... "

OK. Yesterday I was stopped by a policeman for not wearing a helmet. A hundred Baht in his pocket and I was on my way. Happy?

When there is the case of a certain park....

He will soon be given bail,then plan his escape a lot better

next time.

regards Worgeordie

But when he is sentenced, with all the appeals and no show because of being sick, he'll be 130 years old.

This guy is 78 and retired from the civil service in 1998. There clearly has to be a reason why you would create a fake investment opportunity at his advanced age. Perhaps he was the name to make the whole thing look respectable. I doubt he would have been pushing the investors and "manning the phones" himself.

Either way, his connections and impunity have been demonstrated to be insufficient under the current administration.

wrong shirt

Yep, I don't know the guy or what affiliation he has, but I bet it's RED and that's all they need to arrest him.

He was a deputy minister in Chuan Leek Pai's Democrat government of long ago.

If you don't know, why not Google his name and see what happens.

wrong shirt

Yep, I don't know the guy or what affiliation he has, but I bet it's RED and that's all they need to arrest him.

I don't think he was ever a deputy minister. He was however, a deputy permanent secretary. This is a senior civil service position. Deputy minister would be a political position.

wrong shirt

I don't think he was ever a deputy minister. He was however, a deputy permanent secretary. This is a senior civil service position. Deputy minister would be a political position.

My apologies. thumbsup.gifwai2.gifgiggle.gifsad.png

My foot still hurts where I shot it.

Memo to self read what you write and check it twice before posting.

Corruption in the bureaucracy continues much as before.There have been a few very high profile crackdowns but they for a variety of reasons these may not reflect very much about the war on corruption.

The acid test as was pointed out I think by Catterwell recently will be whether the Junta tackles the small but notorious group of senior army and police mafia types - so far untouched.

We know that Thaksin was corrupt in the sense of fixing the game, but I am sceptical whether politicians in general represent the most venal section of Thailand's corruption problem though it suits the purpose of some to suggest exactly this - along with the electoral democracy politicians represent.

It's very unlikely that foreigners without some real background of doing business over many years in Thailand would have much to offer on this topic.Their experience is largely limited to traffic cops and the immigration clerks who deal with their visas.

I'm perfectly willing to give this government a chance but in truth the much vaunted war on corruption is very far down its priorities list.

Edited by jayboy

Corruption in the bureaucracy continues much as before.There have been a few very high profile crackdowns but they for a variety of reasons these may not reflect very much about the war on corruption.

The acid test as was pointed out I think by Catterwell recently will be whether the Junta tackles the small but notorious group of senior army and police mafia types - so far untouched.

We know that Thaksin was corrupt in the sense of fixing the game, but I am sceptical whether politicians in general represent the most venal section of Thailand's corruption problem though it suits the purpose of some to suggest exactly this - along with the electoral democracy politicians represent.

It's very unlikely that foreigners without some real background of doing business over many years in Thailand would have much to offer on this topic.Their experience is largely limited to traffic cops and the immigration clerks who deal with their visas.

I'm perfectly willing to give this government a chance but in truth the much vaunted war on corruption is very far down its priorities list.

"We know that Thaksin was corrupt in the sense of fixing the game,......."

In which "sense" wasn't he corrupt?

"We know that Thaksin was corrupt in the sense of fixing the game,......."

In which "sense" wasn't he corrupt?

In the sense of accepting bribes.In the sense of amassing a large fortune on the basis of a very small salary.He played by the standards of the Sino Thai tycoon class and in truth his behaviour differs little from theirs.

Where his behaviour was uniquely bad was - having been given great responsibility - he changed the rules to benefit his personal financial interests.There was no sense of fair competition.

But notwithstanding his poor record Thaksin's vast wealth is comprehensible and it is possible to work out how it has been accumulated.The wealth of many of his persecutors cannot.The great wealth of many generals cannot.

It suits the purpose of some to suggest that Thaksin was uniquely corrupt.He wasn't - just more effective than most of his Sino Thai business equivalents.He is hated not for his corruption - though that is the pretext - but because he challenged a power base and had a majority on his side.