Like new Kawasaki Cheer, kick start is iffy

ClareQuilty

I've had a Kawasaki Cheer for years, and love it - very nice driving old bike. Mine's kick start is out (mostly just spins free when you kick it), but since it has electric start its no problem.

I'm looking at another which is like new with very low kilometers, drives like new... but the same problem is there - it has about a 50/50 kick start. Not as bad as mine, but about half the time it spins free rather than connects and spins the motor. Starts easy when it does connect.

Does anyone know what is wrong in this case, and how much it might cost to fix? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the bike.

no compression

No, no you didn't understand - it "connects" quite normally when it does connect, plus the engine runs very strongly & like new (it only has ~8,000 kilometers in it). What happens is the kickstart just swings completely free about half the time, doesn't move the engine at all.

Yeah, buy it. Its something minor, and will definetely be cheap to fix. Either a sloppy k/start quadrant gear, the circlips that locate it, or a spring that returns it or pushes it out to engage. I doubt it will run to 1000 baht inclusive of parts and labour.

Another bargain bike for the collection. Looks in very good origonal condition. What did you pay , and have you checked the kickstart lever / shaft splines yet.

Yeah it drives and runs quite well. Has a near new 'feel', and less than 8,000 kilometers on it - was apparently owned by one very elderly lady from new till less than a year ago, who drove it hardly at all (the intervening owner, a foreigner, had to fix a number of things which failed due to sitting, including installing a new carburetor). I paid a little bit more than my usual 5,000, but well under ten. :D

About the kick-start splines, I tried it all day and it worked about 80%, so I think maybe its good enough to leave as it is for now. Or is it one of those thing which might damage/wear other parts if not replaced?

If you look at the lower end of the kickstart , it bolts onto a shaft that protrudes from the engine. Both the kickstart and the shaft are splined ( grooved ) together. If those splines are worn , the kickstart will spin / slip around the shaft. If these are fine , then its internal , and may not be worth repairing. No problem then just to leave it.

• 2 weeks later...