Implications of changing address

I currently live in my wife's house in Nonthaburi and report to Nonthaburi immigration office. My wife owns her house and we intend to keep it. In two year's time we plan to move to a rented home in Nong Khai province for six months each year and spend the other six months in the UK. It is possible therefore that we live at a different Nong Khai address every year (or maybe rent one place in NK and sublet for the six months we are not there).

What are the rules governing the transfer of my immigration obligations (90 Day, visa extension) to the NK immigration office? I don't want to have to go all the way back to Nonthaburi each time.

In order to do your 90 day reports and extensions in Nong Khai by formally changing your address to there.

You will need to submit a TM28 change of address form with proof of residence such as a rental agreement to the Nong Khai immigration office.

• Like 1

You really have to decide on which option to choose for staying in Thailand first.

1. An extension, which will require you to be present in Thailand on the due date.

Funds in a Thai bank for the extension.

Report to Immigration after 3 months.

A re-entry permit if you plan to travel.

OR

2. A Non Imm O multi Visa obtained in the UK.

Funds in a UK bank.

Cross the border and re-enter after 3 months.

Local Immigration not involved.

Option 1, You'll need to complete a TM28 (change of address) and submit all the relevant documents to Nong Khai Immigration.

The landlord should submit a TM30.

Option 2. Completing the TM6 will be the only form you have to complete. No dealings with Immigration.

The landlord should submit a TM30, but not your responsibility.

Edited by Faz

• 10 months later...

Thanks Faz and others.

Things have moved on and here is the current position. I have decided to keep registering at Nonthaburi. In the grand scheme of things it seems the least hassle. A new component is that for family reasons I need to be in UK during the month when I currently extend my (retirement) visa.

From discussion elsewhere on Thai Visa I have decided to convert to a marriage visa in the following manner. Exit Thailand without re-entry permit and apply in the UK for a marriage visa timed so that I can extend it at a different time of year.

The only document I do not possess is a personal tabian ban. Bear in mind I am living in my wife's house which she owns in her own right. I have no claim on it (my choice). She obviously has her own tabian ban.

My question is, am I eligible for a second tabian ban and if so should I get one in case I need it when I apply for my marriage visa?

Thanks for any help.

11 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

The only document I do not possess is a personal tabian ban. Bear in mind I am living in my wife's house which she owns in her own right. I have no claim on it (my choice). She obviously has her own tabian ban.

You do not need your own tambien ban to apply for the non-o visa or extension based upon marriage. They only want copies of your wife's.

You can get a yellow tambien ban that would be based upon your wife's.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need your own tambien ban to apply for the non-o visa or extension based upon marriage. They only want copies of your wife's.

You can get a yellow tambien ban that would be based upon your wife's.

Ah, good! Should my name be in my wife's tabien ban?

9 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

Got it: one tabien ban one name, I thought each book referred to everyone in the household.

Thanks.

The one blue Tabien Bahn could have all of the Thai citizens and any permanent resident foreigners living at the address in it, you as a foreigner, so long as you meet the criteria, can have your very own yellow Tabien Bahn based on your wife's blue one.

It is not one per person!

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The one blue Tabien Bahn could have all of the Thai citizens and any permanent resident foreigners living at the address in it, you as a foreigner, so long as you meet the criteria, can have your very own yellow Tabien Bahn based on your wife's blue one.

It is not one per person!

Ah! Slightly different from what I understood. So which is easier, getting my name on my wife's blue TB or getting my own yellow TB?

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Unless you are a PR then you cannot get on the blue TB period, only choice would be to try for the yellow one.

That might prove easier said than done in the OP's case, depending on his amphur. If, like mine, his amphur requires him to undertake a trip to Bangkok in order to obtain a proof of address letter from his Embassy and then get this translated into Thai and verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then I really don't think that he should waste his time on this.

After going through all these hoops myself a few years ago at the insistence of my local amphur, I fell at the final fence when some eagle-eyed official there spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname in the translated Embassy letter did not exactly match that contained in my Thai marriage certificate! At that point I simply decided to give up on trying to obtain the hallowed yellow book for myself, with no dire consequences to this very day.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1