Poster of the Year Nominations -- Start Nominating

Fabricus

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Tutsiwarrior win it last year or the year before? All his posts sound to me like reading an Uncle Remus story (example Uncle Remus, that is)

"He come mighty nigh it, honey, sho's you born--Brer Fox did. One day atter Brer Rabbit fool 'im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got 'im some tar, en mix it wid some turkentime, en fix up a contrapshun w'at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot 'er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be. En he didn't hatter wait long, nudder, kaze bimeby here come Brer Rabbit pacin' down de road--lippity-clippity, clippity -lippity--dez ez sassy ez a jay-bird. Brer Fox, he lay low. Brer Rabbit come prancin' 'long twel he spy de Tar-Baby, en den he fotch up on his behime legs like he wuz 'stonished. De Tar Baby, she sot dar, she did, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

As a viewer, may I humbly suggest that a member, any member, only gets to nominate 1 or 2 people here, that way, a single member doesn't get to dominate the selected candidates.

Plus, as SoiBiker mentioned, would it be naive to ask for this to remain 'just a bit of fun'.

In case it's been oversighted, my nomination remains Fletchsmile

Didn't Tutsiwarrior win it last year or the year before? All his posts sound to me like reading an Uncle Remus story (example Uncle Remus, that is)

"He come mighty nigh it, honey, sho's you born--Brer Fox did. One day atter Brer Rabbit fool 'im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got 'im some tar, en mix it wid some turkentime, en fix up a contrapshun w'at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot 'er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be. En he didn't hatter wait long, nudder, kaze bimeby here come Brer Rabbit pacin' down de road--lippity-clippity, clippity -lippity--dez ez sassy ez a jay-bird. Brer Fox, he lay low. Brer Rabbit come prancin' 'long twel he spy de Tar-Baby, en den he fotch up on his behime legs like he wuz 'stonished. De Tar Baby, she sot dar, she did, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

Don't expect too much,there is no need of litery talent to win!

As a viewer, may I humbly suggest that a member, any member, only gets to nominate 1 or 2 people here, that way, a single member doesn't get to dominate the selected candidates.

Plus, as SoiBiker mentioned, would it be naive to ask for this to remain 'just a bit of fun'.

Rules, rules, so many rules

First about multiple nominations.

I'm not naive ... I have nominated a lot of names and I reckon you're targeting me more than anyone.

The reason your proposal is REALLY REALLY UNFAIR is this "rule" you're proposing would be changing the rules in the middle of the game as the nominations already started and your proposed limitations were NOT IN EFFECT when I made all those nominations. (Others of course did as well.)

Some of the names I mentioned are very, very worthy (certainly more than one or two of them) and if your suggestion is listened to, it would mean someone else would need to name some of those names AGAIN for them to have any chance to be considered.

But the way this works is names are only supposed to be NAMED ONCE to be considered.

So these totally innocent bystanders would be PENALIZED because they were mentioned by me (and others who have ALREADY mentioned more than one or two names) ... when this new rule you're suggesting was not in effect.

If it was in effect from the beginning, I would have kept my suggestion to one or two.

Based on previous years, this "just a bit of fun" schtick is a CODE for a very NOT FUN agenda.

Other not familiar with the history here may not be able to read the code but I read it crystal clear.

Who said this is supposed to be only a bit of fun?

Why is it less valid for it to be a SINCERE effort to select the most meritorious member of the year?

They are not necessarily mutually exclusive. People can decide for themselves how they want to approach it.

FUN is subjective. You go to an event ... it's a different experience for everyone. Some will have fun. Some will be miserable. There is no correct response. Fun can't be DICTATED.

I know where you're coming from, so to avoid any drama:

post-37101-0-79418100-1449789191_thumb.jpost-37101-0-91701800-1449790277_thumb.j

Welcome to my ignore list.

Edited by Jingthing

< snip myself >

Don't expect too much,there is no need of litery talent to win!

For some, the main talent to display is the myriad ways one can describe how screwed up and/or delusional are one's fellow members.

Disappointing really.

Use of the ignore list robs the forum of many hours, possibly weeks, even months, of entertainment.

Not going to get burned twice by the same fire. Sorry for the loss of entertainment value.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Edited by Jingthing

When someone puts me on their Ignore list or -- more importantly for me -- on their Twitter 'Block' list, I think of this from The Sting 1973:

Hooker: I gave him the breakout just like you said.
Gondorff: And?
Hooker: 'S good. He threatened to kill me.
Gondorff: Hell, kid, they don't do that, you know you're not getting to 'em.

....I know where you're coming from, so to avoid any drama:

attachicon.giffunny-picture-1178998780.jpgattachicon.gifdavid48.jpg

Are you going to put all the Australian posters on your Ignore List, once you find out where they're from?

It would be good to get some nominations from the other sections. Good to see Robert from the gay section nominated. There are some helpful posters in the DIY section, but that is one of the few other sections I go to.

Maybe poty is just something done at the pub?

POTY 2015 Updates: December 10
1. Nominee Maintenance
I see that the most recent list of nominees precluded NancyL and CanarySun. At some point a Forum Veteran needs to re-read this thread to make sure no one has been overlooked. I would like to appoint Colonel Sipi to the role of Nominee Maintenance Manager.
2. Operation Prune
Operation Prune will be a crucial part of this monumental endeavor. It will be the stage at which the 20 most promising candidates are selected from Colonel Sipi's list of nominees. The process will need to be undertaken with care and military-style precision. Planning is of essence! I encourage General VillageFarang to give thought to this important matter.
3. Operation Prune: Methodology
This is something I aim to expand on over the coming days. My vision is one that embraces a multicultural and ethnically diverse pool of candidates. I would like to see more LGBT individuals in the running, for example. I would love to see more women, a handful of Syrian refugees and a contingent of African Americans. My personal view is that these POTY contests are WASP-dominated.
4. Press and Media Enquiries
It is inevitable that the world's press (and perhaps a few interested parties here on TV) will wish to know how Operation Prune was conducted. I hereby appoint Captain Crab as POTY 2015's Official Spokesperson. He's TV's resident tweet master and a maestro of 140-character minimalism. He has the savoir faire and statesmanlike qualities needed for the task.
5. Further Updates
Further updates will be released here on TV within the next 48 hours. Thank you for your continued support.

I greatly appreciate being elevated to the level of General and will gladly remain in my plush corner office at HQ, reading the casualty reports as they come in, while making every effort to avoid getting my hands dirty.

More people seem to be declining the nomination than actual nominations !!

I nominate... Meatboy

Because he loves his dog as much as I love mine, nothing to do with his post count smile.png

why not a joint nomination,CORNISHCARLOS &----------,MEATBOY & SAM.

LOVE US LOVE OUR DOGS.

Ok. The victims excluding the nominations who opted out, so far..(please excuse my brevity for now. You know who you nominated)..

PC, SC, VF and Mr Crab nominated by Fabs.

PJake, Uptheos, Fang and canuckamuck by Sipi.

Ron18 by Alex.

CC and Trans by RRat.

Publicus, RobertTB, Ulysses, Nanvy, LB and balo by JT.

Meatboy by CCarlos, and vice versa.

Berkshire, MTB and H90 by Faraday.

CanaryS by SB.

CH and 1Baddat by Jafo.

Naam by CC.

Ron19 by Fang.

SB and Morch by Uptheos.

Fletch by Luke.

KK by Bookman.

I make that 31.

If the limiting factor is that you can only have 20 options in a poll, why don't we just have a couple of semi-final polls first?

Or just rank the nominees by 'likes per post' and take the top 20 through to the next round?

Or set up a poll on another site that allows more options?

Ok. The victims excluding the nominations who opted out, so far..(please excuse my brevity for now. You know who you nominated)..

PC, SC, VF and Mr Crab nominated by Fabs.

PJake, Uptheos, Fang and canuckamuck by Sipi.

Ron18 by Alex.

CC and Trans by RRat.

Publicus, RobertTB, Ulysses, Nanvy, LB and balo by JT.

Meatboy by CCarlos, and vice versa.

Berkshire, MTB and H90 by Faraday.

CanaryS by SB.

CH and 1Baddat by Jafo.

Naam by CC.

Ron19 by Fang.

SB and Morch by Uptheos.

Fletch by Luke.

KK by Bookman.

I make that 31.

I like the way you've grouped them into teams. Poster of The Year, Deputy Poster of the Year, Assistant Deputy etc.

I like the way you've grouped them into teams. Poster of The Year, Deputy Poster of the Year, Assistant Deputy etc.

I need to get my thinking cap on and find some supporting nominees for my primary nomination.

It would be good if i could get them together for a photo op....or maybe they can send me their avatars

If the limiting factor is that you can only have 20 options in a poll, why don't we just have a couple of semi-final polls first?

Or just rank the nominees by 'likes per post' and take the top 20 through to the next round?

Or set up a poll on another site that allows more options?

Yes SB I agree entirely. It is a poll decided entirely by menbers.

I suggest we cap it at 40 (let's face it, we have had over 4000 views) and divide them randomly into two groups. Then run two heats like any other race.

If JT is not going to run the poll, I suggest we invite him to be the winnower, to thresh out the wheat from the chaff, and harvest the best 20 to go forward.

I reckon that would provide the most bickering, shouting, and could quite possibly degenerate into screaming, abuse, and widespread reading of the bans

SC

If JT is not going to run the poll, I suggest we invite him to be the winnower, to thresh out the wheat from the chaff, and harvest the best 20 to go forward.

I reckon that would provide the most bickering, shouting, and could quite possibly degenerate into screaming, abuse, and widespread reading of the bans

SC

He's only willing to take part if the MANAGEMENT give him an official pollmaster's hat, though

I like Sipi's two heats of 20 plan.