Gold shop recommendations

SidJames

I'm conflicted. Sid knows the chemical symbol for gold, uses apostrophes and commas correctly and has a decent grasp of English grammar, but can't spell the word 'birthday'. Is this a troll or not? I'll go with "not" for the moment.

Sid, I'll assume that missus is Thai; here's my take on Thais and gold. They don't want minibars, they don't want nuggets, they want gold to wear for show. Sure, gold is a (sort of) investment - it's gone way up since I first came to Thailand all those years ago (3000 a baht), but it also goes down. Not long ago it peaked around 25000 a baht; bit less than that now isn't it? But - it's a status symbol if you're wearing it.

So - if you want to buy Missus some Au for her bday, get her something wearable that can be used on the right occasions and kept in the safe at home at other times as an investment for possible future problems. Thai gold is (ahemm) 24 carat, so is quite pure and, quite literally, worth its weight in gold. Buying a necklace or bracelet (or waistlet or anklet, depending on your kink) is as good as buying an ingot, and much more practical from a Thai perspective.

Hope this helps.

I'm conflicted. Sid knows the chemical symbol for gold, uses apostrophes and commas correctly and has a decent grasp of English grammar, but can't spell the word 'birthday'. Is this a troll or not? I'll go with "not" for the moment.

Sid, I'll assume that missus is Thai; here's my take on Thais and gold. They don't want minibars, they don't want nuggets, they want gold to wear for show. Sure, gold is a (sort of) investment - it's gone way up since I first came to Thailand all those years ago (3000 a baht), but it also goes down. Not long ago it peaked around 25000 a baht; bit less than that now isn't it? But - it's a status symbol if you're wearing it.

So - if you want to buy Missus some Au for her bday, get her something wearable that can be used on the right occasions and kept in the safe at home at other times as an investment for possible future problems. Thai gold is (ahemm) 24 carat, so is quite pure and, quite literally, worth its weight in gold. Buying a necklace or bracelet (or waistlet or anklet, depending on your kink) is as good as buying an ingot, and much more practical from a Thai perspective.

Hope this helps.

it's gone way up since I first came to Thailand all those years ago (3000 a baht), but it also goes down.

You must have come to Thailand since 1947 then?

And you call the OP a troll?

I've always used Thong Dee gold shop on the south side of Pattaya Tai about halfway between TukCom and Wat Chai. both to buy and sell gold.

Usually buy 2 baht bars, but they're also always available in one baht weight and, might be available in heavier weights. China Town shops in Bangkok will definitely have the heavier weights. In Pattaya it depends on what they happen to have in stock or can locate by calling someone.

Thais are individuals and have individual tastes. Contrary to what some people think, all Thai women don't want the same things. Your wife might be just as happy with a gold bar as with jewelry and you would probably be the best judge of that.

Hope this helps.

it's gone way up since I first came to Thailand all those years ago (3000 a baht), but it also goes down.

You must have come to Thailand since 1947 then?

And you call the OP a troll?

Baht 3000 per baht weight would translate to about US$200 an ounce using today's exchange rate, which would have happened around 1970 or 1920, but in the 70's I'm pretty sure the exchange rate was in the Baht 40 or higher rate to the US dollar, so it's unlikely it hit as low as Baht 3000 then, but still it was a whole lot cheaper in either dollars or baht back 45 years ago.

post-145917-0-74195600-1449594570_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

Thanks for the research. I actually first bought gold in Thailand about 1986, and it was around the 3000 a baht area as I remember. I may be wrong as my memory aint what -- what was that saying?

3000 baht in that time was quite a lot in forex, MrCruncher, or are you digging about another post?

Couldn't find any decent sites that gave me a historic answer, so I worked it out using several sites

Gold in December '86 was about (give or take) $390 per Troy ounce (a)

1 Troy ounce is 31.1035 gm ( b )

1 Baht weight is 15.244 gm ( c )

Therefore 1 baht was worth $ c/b x a

15.244/31.1035*390 = 191.15

Dollar to Baht then was (give or take) 26

26 * 191 is 4966

So - I was wrong. My memory aint what it used to be. Gold was about 5000 a Bht in the mid 80's. Still a stuff's sight cheaper than now though!

Edited by eefoo