No alcohol sales, bars closed 15-17th December?

DennisF

Just got a message from some friends arriving here on the 15th December and they have been informed, ( not sure how reliable their source is),

that due to the funeral taking place on the above dates there will be no alcohol sales or bars open.

Anyone got any official statements about this?

Thanks

"Palace and government authorities this morning held the second rehearsal for the funeral procession of the late Supreme Patriarch Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara from Wat Bowonniwet Vihara to Wat Thepsirin along the 3.6 kilometre long route."

and

"As the traditional procession moved slowly along the route out of the temple at 7 am, funeral music was performed exactly as the actual day which is scheduled to be held on December 16."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/second-rehearsal-for-late-supreme-patriarchs-funeral-procession

Thanks for the clarification TheAppletons.

There's certainly potential for a booze ban on the actual day of the funeral (possibly only local to the funeral itself), but nothing announced as yet.

Time to fill the fridge.

I often wish someone would augment the internet with some means to FIND the information we know is there. Whoever does that, they'll probably make billions. Until then, we'll just have to continue to ask others because there is absolutely no way to find anything on the internet right now. Shame.

I often wish someone would augment the internet with some means to FIND the information we know is there. Whoever does that, they'll probably make billions. Until then, we'll just have to continue to ask others because there is absolutely no way to find anything on the internet right now. Shame.

The real Wanda Sloan of Bangkok Post computer software reporting fame would never post such an idiotic comment! I suspect it is a good day for you when you can find your keyboard.

Edited by aguy30

I got this from a friend of mine who knows a friend who is related to a friend of a friend who himself is related to his best friends uncle who has a friend who is very reliable who tells us that a friend of his has chicken pox and the bars on the right side of the road will close between 1100 and 1800 where upon the bars on the left side will close from 1801 to 0700. Between 0700 and 1100 he has asked his friend to ask his best friend for clarification ok

It's not rocket science. Fill the fridge or cupboard with your favourite tipple, sit back and relax for a couple of days.

When posters on TV complain about bars being closed, I'm reminded of Billy Joel's Piano Man:

" And the waitress is practising politics

As the businessmen slowly get stoned

Yes, they're sharing a drink they call loneliness

But it's better than drinking alone"

I got this from a friend of mine who knows a friend who is related to a friend of a friend who himself is related to his best friends uncle who has a friend who is very reliable who tells us that a friend of his has chicken pox and the bars on the right side of the road will close between 1100 and 1800 where upon the bars on the left side will close from 1801 to 0700. Between 0700 and 1100 he has asked his friend to ask his best friend for clarification ok

No, that is only in the UK

It's not rocket science. Fill the fridge or cupboard with your favourite tipple, sit back and relax for a couple of days.

When posters on TV complain about bars being closed, I'm reminded of Billy Joel's Piano Man:

A lot of people own restaurants, hotels and bars who will be affected by arbitary closures at a moments notice.

I suspect this is why there's always posts asking about 'dry days' as the local authorities often provide little to no information in advance.

There was a difference on December 5th this year. This is the first time I've ever known alcohol to be allowed to be sold on the 5th even though it's not against the law, in the past the police enforced it.

This year they didn't.

For final clarification they will toss the JOSS sticks into the air with the reading of said sticks following.

You ever hear of Google, Yahoo, Bing or many other SEARCH engines?

Enter a series of letters or words and the magically will find 100s of places on the Internet about your subject. Smart people can actually use these tools to find what they are looking for.

Enter a series of letters or words and the magically will find 100s of places on the Internet about your subject. Smart people can actually use these tools to find what they are looking for.

I guess satire is lost on you..

Oh wait - you said Bing..

Sorry, satire is too high brow for most of us on TVF.:-)

No wonder satire is lost on him. I can't find eff-all on Bing, let alone "satire".

Be warned, many of Thai Visa stalwarts are unable to detect sarcasm. Always best to attach a warning.

post-145917-0-90709100-1449709257_thumb.

People with friends, that is not you, often speak with their friends in bars and drink alcohol. The public setting also these encounters to be unplanned, as well as to include new people.

Getting drunk at home by yourself has all the negatives associated with getting drunk but none of the positive social elements. It's socially as well as physically unhealthy.

I'm quite sure that posters who encourage this either don't drink or are hopeless alcoholics.

People with friends, that is not you, often speak with their friends in bars and drink alcohol. The public setting also these encounters to be unplanned, as well as to include new people.

Getting drunk at home by yourself has all the negatives associated with getting drunk but none of the positive social elements. It's socially as well as physically unhealthy.

I'm quite sure that posters who encourage this either don't drink or are hopeless alcoholics.

So that I don't bump into you in a bar I'll drink alone thanks from one of those don't drink or am I an alcoholics Mmm let me think