Why do so many drivers here seem so inconsiderate and lacking in etiquette?

I just returned from a trip up north yesterday. I was on the road for 1500 km. round trip. I am always astonished by the lack of driving etiquette here. This is not meant to be a Thai bashing post. I love most Thai people, am married to one, and I adore her mom, dad, brother and sister. I am fortunate to have such a great Thai family, and they have shown me how lovely and noble many Thai people are. I know for a fact that they are courteous and respectful drivers, as I have driven with them often. But, there seem to be so many others who just do not seem to give a damn about other drivers. There were countless truck drivers yesterday, who hogged the fast lane, on a two lane highway, doing 50-60 kph. You had to constantly go around them. A small percentage, when given a toot of the horn, or the bright lights, would move over. But, countless drivers paid no heed. Nothing. Zero driver courtesy. And then you have the madman drivers, cutting in front of your car within 2 meters, doing 100 kph, and the like.

I realize some of this has to do with education, and training. I recall when I was growing up, my Mom was often advising me on courtesy, and showing me what it means to be courteous, respectful and kind to other drivers. I learned a lot from her. It makes for a far safer drive, and generates goodwill at the same time. So, I wonder why I don't see more of that? I also realize there is no deterrent here, with the impotent police offering nothing in the way of penalties for foolish behavior on the road.

I have had friends visit here, many for the first time, and they are often astonished by how aggressively many Thai people drive. I have had several say, "the Thai people seem courteous and kind. They seem respectful and considerate. Why is it, that when they get behind a wheel of a car, or get onto their scooters, all of that seems to be forgotten?" It is a great question, and one I have not quite found a good answer for. Do any of you want to venture a guess? What is going on here, when it comes to the absolutely mad and aggressive tactics that many on the road display?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find most farang drivers drive that way because they can get away with it. if they drove like that at home they either got a big fine or lose their licence while in Thailand if stopped they get a 200thb fine.

Want to see bad/aggressive driving....Go to India/Philippines/middle east.....

This is a courtesy cake walk compared to many places.....

THE REASON for what we see here....

In my opinion - we are in a country where not too many years ago owning a car was very very rare.....It was a big step and a proud day when a family could afford a MC.....Which they drove/drive single mindedly in a point and go style swirling through the gaps - nudging others away by posturing; then going.....

We're just a generation or two away from those first drivers.....If you watch they drive the same way they rode - even down to trying to sling shot turns like they would on a bike (even though they lose time/mass/weight distribution/traction) in the process.....

Now - most of the population moves on MCs.....The bikes have gotten faster and more powerful and you see the more aggressive riders riding with distain for their safety more than ever before.....

As these folks transition to autos their driving tendencies will stay the same.....Creating an influx of worse - less patient drivers....

This is what I believe is happening..

The older drivers like my FIL are almost too cautious....

Unless they actually establish drivers ed like we had for 2 years at school there's no way to educate out of this.....As most don't have cars I don't see that happening at the school level.....

The trucks on the "fast lane" (is there such a thing in Thailand?) drive there because the other lane is broken. But I never bother about them, just drive around them. It is really easy most of the time.

On the other hand, sometimes there are 3-4 buses in row which are driving around 110km/h and it is really hard to overtake them because they think they own the road.

Flashing lights to press the other driver out of the way is bad behavior and most drivers who do this also tailgaiting. I only do this at night to show to the left lane drivers that I am coming ;).

Overall, I think it is really nice and easy to drive in Thailand.

That answer is simple... Because in the aggregate those driving cars in Thailand are inconsiderate and lack etiquette.....

I too love Thailand, I enjoy living here and have numerous close Thai friends... But that doesn't prevent me feeling disappointment at the same things my Thai friends do... namely the carelessness of many others...

Why are they that way ? my guess is that there are a multitude of reasons but the main one would be a simple lack of accountability and a lack of awareness for consequences.

Little for Thai drivers to fear while driving because excluding ambushes on soi corners and intersections police are not on the road pulling over bad drivers except once in a blue moon.

Basically, just be a good driver Dr. Jekyll when going through a police checkpoint...once through the checkpoint revert back to Mr Hyde until the next checkpoint.

It's not something only us foreigners notice, but there are several campaigns going on to make people more considerate in traffic.

"Stop for Step" is one of those campaigns, albeit not getting much attention.

There are also other unofficial campaigns that try to shame people such as:

https://www.facebook.com/baddriveth/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/IParkLikeAnIdiotThailand/?fref=ts

I remember seeing another campaign underlining the difference between Thai people before getting in a car and when driving.

Some of my friends are actually quite considerate in traffic (stopping for crossings, etc), but others aren't.

I can only hope that those who are considerate will teach their children properly and after so the amount of considerate people will overtake the amount of inconsiderate people.

I don't think it's all that much to do with training or education at the driving school either.

Most of the crazy things I see on the road whilst driving (+-40,000 km per year for work) I blame on lack of common sense or overestimating one's own or their vehicle's capabilities.

I have been out of Europe for a couple of years now, but I don't think I have ever seen a car commercial on TV in Belgium which shows racing each other in the city (Mazda) or driving through traffic like a maniac (Camry Sport).

Maybe people get influenced here quicker by seeing such a thing. Not sure :)

About 30 years ago, I flagged down a taxi outside DM to go to the Malaysia hotel.

It was an older guy who spoke very good english and after a while I noticed how he lent over to the right door, away from the steeringwheel.

At first I thyought he wanted to see mee when we spoke, but finally I asked him.

He smiled, pointed at the little BUDDHA on the dashboard and told me he just had to leave some more room for him!

I can still write this, so apparently we got there safe and sound. (In those days Malaysia Hotel was one of the real late night hotspots, now turned to a gay clientele)

Amja

How many countries have you driven in to make such a comment. Many Thai drivers, especially moror cyclists are not good drivers probably because of ignorance of rules. But they are a lot politer than in most countries. They do give way to you when you are trying to get into a line from a side street. Have you ever driven in Rome, no-0ne gves way. Same in many European countries. India is dreadful. The Aust.ralians are very agressive drivers, I found it quite frightening to drive there. I could go on, but I prefer driving here than most countries. .

HONK< HONK!!!!!

Shut up all of you!!!! Get out of my thread!!!!! You are all making me mad, and bothering my peace!!!! I bought big truck to be the man....

99% of all cities there will be jerks......easier to be a jerk behind glass and a motor...

I am now in America and just last night I hated 3 drivers......but saw hundreds of cars.......i go the speed limit, they don't understand...

i wish i was the police everytime i drive...

Going back to the OP Re two lanes as it's legal to pass on the inside on a road with two or more lanes going in the same direction don't see a problem , it was asked in Ask the lawyer some time back and they posted the legislation .

This is quite true, but not widely known. However it is also an offence to stay in the outside lane when the inner lane is clear.

Many drivers on roads with 2 lanes in each direction with yellow hatched boxes between carriageways, will instead of overtaking on the inside, overtake on the yellow hatched lines. This is very dangerous, and in my view is a banning offence (if there were any police available to witness and ban)

The trucks on the "fast lane" (is there such a thing in Thailand?) drive there because the other lane is broken. But I never bother about them, just drive around them. It is really easy most of the time.

On the other hand, sometimes there are 3-4 buses in row which are driving around 110km/h and it is really hard to overtake them because they think they own the road.

Flashing lights to press the other driver out of the way is bad behavior and most drivers who do this also tailgaiting. I only do this at night to show to the left lane drivers that I am coming wink.png.

Overall, I think it is really nice and easy to drive in Thailand.

If the buses are doing 110kph then you should not be trying to overtake them. You are already at or over the speed limit. Seems to me you are as bad as those this poster is complaining about.

This is a well known phenomena, also among Thai people. It is just that when Thai (or most Asian) people get behind the wheel, because of the lack of training, they just do not think about what they are doing behind the wheel, their minds are usually somewhere else, thinking about this or that or just chatting away with passengers. The planning ahead involves the 10 - 20 meters in front of the car that they pay attention to. This is why you repeatedly get tailgated at 110 kph, because they just drive and suddenly they find themselves behind another car, tailgates that car until can pass it.

As for the professional truck driver, I find them most of the time quiet good, but one reason for them driving in the right lane may be because the left lane is so damaged, it's almost unusable. It may even be that they have been instructed by the boss to drive in the right lane when needed to save the truck.

My hunch (and it just that) is that the worst behaviour I see on the on the roads is perpetrated by males. Women behind the wheel tend to be very cautious, perhaps overly so (and again I am generalising).

There's some psychological demographic at play on the roads IMO, something intimately bound up with gender roles in Thai society.

Edited by GlutinousMaximus

Not just lorries. you also get those ignorant/selfish types in their cars and pick-ups, who hog the "outside lane" and go no faster than the ( mostly slow)vehicles in the nearside lane.

Then you look in your rear view mirror and you see a pack of them on your bumper, backed up like Lewis Hamilton engaged in a re-start, jostling and bristling impatiently to overtake.

They create so many unnecessary dangerous situations that it becomes an art form to avoid becoming collateral damage when it all goes tits-up.

one of many contradictions here - - my neighbor lady in her pick-up truck drives on our small village road, nearly colliding with me, no regard for kids or dogs or even her own safety, going way way faster than needed or even controllable - saves maybe one minute or less enroute to her favorite noodle soup shop - can linger there for an hour or more, no concern for time, totally relaxed - then rushes back home as if the house were burning down…

i don't get it either - other than it isn't about time - maybe she considers that to be good, highly skilled driving or maybe she doesn't think about it at all…