Why do so many drivers here seem so inconsiderate and lacking in etiquette?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, my thoughts.

In the beginning there weren't that many autos. Those that had autos were generally the powerful and well-to-do. Those folks pretty much could do as they liked. Then others lower on the totem pole began to get autos and they too did as those before them had. This attitude to do as you wanted in your auto has just been copied and emulated as everyone got autos, you have a car then you too are rich and powerful. In a word I"d have to say 'culture' derived etiquette over time.

Hell, the 'stop for step' vid is brutal, its a shame a lot of these videos are seen as novelties to show on FB.

Why are the left hand lanes so smashed up, due to overloaded lorries or high sided pickups which don't distribute the weight correctly .. So they drive in the right hand land to smash that one up to.

Classic example is the highway out of Nakhon Ratchasima heading to BKK, all 3 lanes are smashed, the least of all the, right hand - so theres coaches and trucks struggling up the hills, refusing to leave the right. Cars are overtaking on the left, and the unusable road on the left is free .. so much so there are new lane(s) being built on the left.

Why ? Just enforce the weight rules, enforce existing traffic rules, educate the drivers.

While their at it, forget the patch-ups, and extra lanes, build a decent motorway that links two of the most industrial cities in Thailand.

It was the biggest thing I noticed when I moved to Chiang Mai from Isaan was the increased level of stupidity and 'me, me, me' on the roads. It was also the reason I moved house so I can walk to work, or I'd have done something regrettable.

Yes, the "me, me, me" attitude of driving is alive and well in Chiang Mai. I have lived here for about 5 years and actually think it is getting worse, partly because traffic congestion is getting worse and some drivers simply will not wait to get to their destination. I found myself getting more and more enraged this year and finally told myself several months ago that I needed to calm down and let it go, or I was gonna blow a gasket. Now I try to just take it easy when I drive around but it's still difficult when so many drivers here are so inconsiderate.

Edited by morpho

DANGER, COURTESY! Years ago one of my first introductions to Thai driving was when I was a passenger in (British) friend's pick-up. on coming Traffic was mounting up due to truck turning right. There was a motor cyclist waiting beside the truck. My friend stopped to allow the truck to turn but of course the motor bike turned quicker and he must have been surprised by this act of courtesy that he didn't take his eyes of my friend. Unfortunately, another motor came whizzing by on our left and smack. The traffic got held up a lot longer.

The answer is really rather simple; not acceptable really, but it's the truth. I too was astonished at the total lack of consideration for other drivers on the roads here after moving from the States in 2004. One day a few months after arriving, I spoke to the teenage son of a good friend, a chap who was a college student in Australia and home visiting his Thai mother/American father for a holiday period. He listened to my rant and opined "it's an easy question to answer: Thai people are "me first" drivers. They mostly have no thought for other drivers in the roads and are only intent on their own business out there. They do not receive driver education in the school system either, and adopt what we consider to be rude habits, inculcated from the earliest memories of how their fathers and uncles acted when driving a motorcycle or car.

So it's not that the Thai are rude, inconsiderate people, it's just that they are lousy drivers. Once they are out of their cars and off their cycles, they are great, friendly people. I would advise any foreigner here to quit bellyaching about Thai driver behavior and just focus on your own safety...driving as defensively as you can. You can get mad, as I certainly have in my earlier days here, and it will do nothing to change Thai motorist behavior. We are guests here, with little rights afforded us, and it would be best not to find yourself the cause of an accident...or found at fault in an incident even if legally you did nothing wrong. There is still a mindset among many in Thailand that an accident never would have happened if an involved foreigner had never set foot on this country in the first place. And there is a propensity for the wealthier party to pay damages regardless of fault. Be very mindful and careful out there. Many Thais carry firearms in their cars and have shown a willingness to use them in the heat of a road rage incident.

This is a well known phenomena, also among Thai people. It is just that when Thai (or most Asian) people get behind the wheel, because of the lack of training, they just do not think about what they are doing behind the wheel, their minds are usually somewhere else, thinking about this or that or just chatting away with passengers. The planning ahead involves the 10 - 20 meters in front of the car that they pay attention to. This is why you repeatedly get tailgated at 110 kph, because they just drive and suddenly they find themselves behind another car, tailgates that car until can pass it.

As for the professional truck driver, I find them most of the time quiet good, but one reason for them driving in the right lane may be because the left lane is so damaged, it's almost unusable. It may even be that they have been instructed by the boss to drive in the right lane when needed to save the truck.

This makes a lot of sense. Many of you have provided me with some clarity about all of this. It is easier to consider that there might be a purpose behind the hogging of the "fast" lane, than just a lack of consciousness or awareness. Thanks for that.

There is no such thing as a fast lane all lanes are the same speed limit there is an over taking lane!!!!!. Drivers trucks not moving back into cruising lane usualy these guys know the road inside out and stay out as the left lane is full of pot holes or humps and bumps. Giving the so called honk or flashing lights or as one says the finger has no effect what so ever expect to in my case slow down even more just drive your way if you have to under take so be it if you get home 5 mins later so what at least I'd you drive safely you will get home

The answer is really rather simple; not acceptable really, but it's the truth. I too was astonished at the total lack of consideration for other drivers on the roads here after moving from the States in 2004. One day a few months after arriving, I spoke to the teenage son of a good friend, a chap who was a college student in Australia and home visiting his Thai mother/American father for a holiday period. He listened to my rant and opined "it's an easy question to answer: Thai people are "me first" drivers. They mostly have no thought for other drivers in the roads and are only intent on their own business out there. They do not receive driver education in the school system either, and adopt what we consider to be rude habits, inculcated from the earliest memories of how their fathers and uncles acted when driving a motorcycle or car.

So it's not that the Thai are rude, inconsiderate people, it's just that they are lousy drivers. Once they are out of their cars and off their cycles, they are great, friendly people. I would advise any foreigner here to quit bellyaching about Thai driver behavior and just focus on your own safety...driving as defensively as you can. You can get mad, as I certainly have in my earlier days here, and it will do nothing to change Thai motorist behavior. We are guests here, with little rights afforded us, and it would be best not to find yourself the cause of an accident...or found at fault in an incident even if legally you did nothing wrong. There is still a mindset among many in Thailand that an accident never would have happened if an involved foreigner had never set foot on this country in the first place. And there is a propensity for the wealthier party to pay damages regardless of fault. Be very mindful and careful out there. Many Thais carry firearms in their cars and have shown a willingness to use them in the heat of a road rage incident.

All very good points, and I will take them to heart. I think you are right about the general lack of skill, and lack of training. I remember two years of drivers ed in school, in addition to the countless hours and tips from mom and dad (emphasizing driver courtesy), and friends about driving, when I was growing up. Not sure if there is anything comparable to that here. So, even to this day, I tend to extend a lot of courtesy to other drivers, and keep a very vigilant eye on my rearview, side mirrors, and the guys in front of me. There is so much thoughtless recklessness here. One has to be super diligent and aware to not become a casualty on these roads.

The trucks on the "fast lane" (is there such a thing in Thailand?) drive there because the other lane is broken. But I never bother about them, just drive around them. It is really easy most of the time.

On the other hand, sometimes there are 3-4 buses in row which are driving around 110km/h and it is really hard to overtake them because they think they own the road.

Flashing lights to press the other driver out of the way is bad behavior and most drivers who do this also tailgaiting. I only do this at night to show to the left lane drivers that I am coming ;).

Overall, I think it is really nice and easy to drive in Thailand.

Not understand you at all you just tells us how bad the drivers are in thailand and then you say it is easy to drive in thailand you are so wrong thailand drives are very bad as for what I have seen I have been on the roads in my work as a truck driver for over 30 years and I have done meany km in my life on the road in Australia, as for thailand it is a joke .

I for one when I am back in thailand driver I feel very uncomfortable on the roads but I can get by just .

When I come home and driver around I think to my self we are very good driver in our country.

My thai parent who has been here two times in the last 10 months says to me why are the drivers so good in your country and I say it is because we teach them to try and be good drivers not like thailand were you doing get good education on the roads and yes we have bad drivers in my country but nothing like thailand.

Simple !!!! Police just need to do their job . if a person or car/mortorcycle is not safe or driver not obey rules .like trafic lights ,TAKE his car / bike away so simple

Most are too busy playing with the traffic lights rather than getting out to enforce traffic law. As you say severe penalties are the only way to change persistently bad drivers.

A couple of observations:

The larger vehicles, such as pickups and SUV's, seem to be the most aggressive - tailgating, passing when it's unsafe to do so, creating an extra lane in congested traffic then forcing their way back in.

Some of the pickups are overloaded to insane levels. It only takes a wet patch or badly cambered curve to make them terminally unstable.

The Thai driving instructor I encountered while my Thai g/f was getting her licence was incompetent. I'm still teaching her how to do handbrake starts on a hill, and using gears for acceleration and braking on an automatic. I sometimes wonder how many road deaths in Thailand are caused by poor instruction.

Many Thai drivers seem to live in a bubble - if it's behind them, it doesn't exist. Rear vision mirrors are for admiring your reflection.

The only solution is to drive defensively, constantly assessing the risks ahead and behind you.

Edited by bazza40

Want to see bad/aggressive driving....Go to India/Philippines/middle east.....

This is a courtesy cake walk compared to many places.....

THE REASON for what we see here....

In my opinion - we are in a country where not too many years ago owning a car was very very rare.....It was a big step and a proud day when a family could afford a MC.....Which they drove/drive single mindedly in a point and go style swirling through the gaps - nudging others away by posturing; then going.....

We're just a generation or two away from those first drivers.....If you watch they drive the same way they rode - even down to trying to sling shot turns like they would on a bike (even though they lose time/mass/weight distribution/traction) in the process.....

Now - most of the population moves on MCs.....The bikes have gotten faster and more powerful and you see the more aggressive riders riding with distain for their safety more than ever before.....

As these folks transition to autos their driving tendencies will stay the same.....Creating an influx of worse - less patient drivers....

This is what I believe is happening..

The older drivers like my FIL are almost too cautious....

Unless they actually establish drivers ed like we had for 2 years at school there's no way to educate out of this.....As most don't have cars I don't see that happening at the school level.....

I find that the Thai drivers are worse compared to the Philippines. First, I'm speaking of Bangkok vs. Manila. Driving in Bangkok and Manila is crazy. I've found that Thais don't follow the traffic light system compared to Filipinos, especially on mc's and new auto drivers. Second, As soon as one ventures into the province I find that Thais and Filipinos to be about even. Filipinos tend to be lose with using the horn compared to Thais. Using a horn in Thailand can bring serious consequences which astounds me. Thais seem to get offended by a farang using the horn. India is the worse I have experienced. As in life, my experienced will differ from others.

Thai drivers???? I'm from the USA and in comparison Thai drivers are very polite and considerate in general. Of course there will always be exceptions wherever you go

In comparison to the UK and the US. I find that Thai drivers are worst. In the US and UK people stop for the red light and most will slow down for a yellow. Understand rules of the road and will usually stop and look both ways before proceeding. We do have the exemption everywhere. Experiences differ.

How many countries have you driven in to make such a comment. Many Thai drivers, especially moror cyclists are not good drivers probably because of ignorance of rules. But they are a lot politer than in most countries. They do give way to you when you are trying to get into a line from a side street. Have you ever driven in Rome, no-0ne gves way. Same in many European countries. India is dreadful. The Aust.ralians are very agressive drivers, I found it quite frightening to drive there. I could go on, but I prefer driving here than most countries. .

You are joking me Australia are bad drivers we have some bad drivers like all over the world but not like thailand and we are not talking about other countries the op is talking about thailand I can for the life of me when people like you bring in other countries it to it , you are in thailand ok so keep it in thailand and it is number 2 in the world for bad drivers 85 people die every day on the roads in thailand and that dose not includ the ones who die on the way to a hospital or in a hospital.

Maybe a large proportion are just plain thick. There was a study sometime which indicated the low IQ of a large percentage of the population. Add to that an unwillingness to learn....and a propensity of many for day long drinking.

Such a helpful post thanks for sharing with us bet it took you all day to come up with that

It is not only Thailand, you can see the same driving behavior all over Asia and even further. Why? Because in these cultures life has much less value as where we come from. Just look at the compensation paid for killing somebody in a road accident. Best chance to survive a trip is to drive very defensive even when a complete nut case is driving like crazy, try to avoid but don't react. Never use the horn or flash lights, this is asking for trouble.

I think that Thai people are very gentle, kind, polite, courteous, and easy going, until they touch a steering wheel. WHY????

hehe. like italy. italian people are generally lovely in the office or university, restaurant, on the road can become impatient warriors BUT their driving skills are leagues above the average in thailand.

Try driving in Samui. For such a small place with such few roads and hardly the ability to drive fast even if one wanted to, it's still about the most dangerous and deadly place to drive in the world, not so much for those in cars and especially trucks and SUVs but for those on motor bikes. Why? Because a) 90% of motor bike drivers do not know how to drive properly and swerve out of their slow lane on the shoulder in front of or into faster moving cars on their right without ever looking, most do not wear helmets, many do not have licenses or any proper training, many are underage and severely underage too, and B) the police do absolutely nothing and are never seen doing anything other than showing up last to accidents to document the damage and clean up the mess. They enforce no rules at all, not even the most basic like do you have a license or a helmet. On the very rare cases they do set up check points to look for helmets, it's just a scam to get cash from foreigners for their lunch fund. If motor bike drivers would pay attention and not cut off faster moving trucks and cars by swerving in front of them at much slower speeds, actually have one iota of proper training before getting behind the wheel, have drivers licenses, not be 10 years old, and police actually did something to warrant whatever salaries they collect, then maybe a few less people would die every day. Until then, drive defensively, wear your seat belt and drive the most protective car (ideally a tank!) you can find, because no matter how defensively you drive, you'll eventually be attacked by one of the opposing kamikaze drivers hell bent on killing themselves at your expense.

How many countries have you driven in to make such a comment. Many Thai drivers, especially moror cyclists are not good drivers probably because of ignorance of rules. But they are a lot politer than in most countries. They do give way to you when you are trying to get into a line from a side street. Have you ever driven in Rome, no-0ne gves way. Same in many European countries. India is dreadful. The Aust.ralians are very agressive drivers, I found it quite frightening to drive there. I could go on, but I prefer driving here than most countries. .

You are joking me Australia are bad drivers we have some bad drivers like all over the world but not like thailand and we are not talking about other countries the op is talking about thailand I can for the life of me when people like you bring in other countries it to it , you are in thailand ok so keep it in thailand and it is number 2 in the world for bad drivers 85 people die every day on the roads in thailand and that dose not includ the ones who die on the way to a hospital or in a hospital.

Deaths on the roads are much lower in Australia. True. "Road rage" in Australia is far worse than in Thailand.

we were taught how to drive, In the Uk you had driving lessons with an instructor and a family member might help. You were told to look three cars in front, not to block the end of the road so a car could join the road, about flow, about using your indicators to let others know, to only using your hazard lights... well we get the point ... here's hoping the improve the test system and help to educate people on "how to drive" and don't get me started on motorbikes coming the wrong way down the road at you and expecting you to get out of the way and turning left onto roads without even looking ..rant over .... we live here but we find it hard to be affected by all this, either that or we start to drive the same...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because they can get away with it.

Very true. I saw a classic (and typical) example yesterday afternoon in Chiang Mai. I was approaching the big intersection of Suthep Road and Canal Road and there was one motorbike next to me. Before we reached the intersection, the light turned yellow and then red so I stopped at the crosswalk. The Thai driver next to me just kept on going right through the intersection as though the light was green. While he was cruising through the intersection, there were TWO traffic policemen standing next to their police box with a clear view of the light being red and the driver running the light. There was a police motorbike right in front of them and one of them had his helmet on but neither one of them budged...just stood there most likely planning their next tea party. And this sort of thing occurs countless times every day here.