Why do so many drivers here seem so inconsiderate and lacking in etiquette?

Taking a whole lane going super slow. Don't know who i dislike the most in this video

I was cycling at 40Km/hr, which is the legal maximum speed in CM.

Not to mention, she was entering a main road from a side road, a cement lorry would have wasted her.

Her drivers window was in clear line of sight of my camera the whole time.

Two m/cs driving behind me also nearly hit her.

What's wrong with you, is the big question?

You should've got off & climbed over her bonnet with your bike laugh.png

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're assuming what they do is abnormal. This is how it is. When in Rome......... Farang need to stop applying farang rules in Thailand. Not just driving there are other stuff that farangs in Thailand find astonishing or unacceptable etc. it's all normal here. Nothing unusual.

Totally agree. Dying on the road is very normal here and we should get over ourselves not wishing to behave like Thais and put ourselves in danger.

Move to Thailand when you're still a young man, you won't be too old to adapt. smile.png

That's what I did and I've adapted.

So you think move to a 3 th world country like thailand when you are young man makes you adapted do you .

Well how wrong are you if I was stupid I could but I am not that stupid to move to a 3 rd world country like thailand to try and become rich and have money for when I am older and can live like a king now be it in thailand or my country

No thank you thailand is a great place for getting woman and have a ok life but if not for the puss you and me would not be in thailand.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder as big as a tree-trunk. Your contributions to TV appear to consist of castigating everyone for expressing an opinion. As far as comparing Australia and Thailand goes, I consider I am well qualified to make comparisons. If you don't like that, either tune out or get over it.

On second thoughts, continue. Your general incoherence and question-begging assumptions do provide a considerable amount of entertainment.biggrin.png

Taking a whole lane going super slow. Don't know who i dislike the most in this video

Not to mention, she was entering a main road from a side road, a cement lorry would have wasted her.

Think you are making the assumption pushbike riders have some right of way on the roads. For many Thai vehicle drivers, they don't.

She probably would have given way to a car or cement lorry. Scooter or pushbike riders? Doubtful.facepalm.gif

Think you are making the assumption pushbike riders have some right of way on the roads. For many Thai vehicle drivers, they don't.

She probably would have given way to a car or cement lorry. Scooter or pushbike riders? Doubtful.facepalm.gif

I have exactly the same rights of way on a road whether driving my pickup, m/c or bicycle.

And exactly the same rights to use road width, which is one complete lane.

Up to me.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Despite your experience and relation with other Thais, you're merely projecting your western notion of what is right and wrong--and that will cause you unending frustration if not anger and grief.

You're in Asia, this is Thailand, the culture different as well the mindset.

Many others on TV have voiced similar opinions such as yours attributing it to inconsideration, poor driving, etc. Why is this perception so common among farang? Because it's all about me and how youre inconveniencing me or being a potential threat to me..do you see theme here?

At the end of the day we're all human, but if I had to pick a country with the most courteous drivers it would be Thailand. Even in Nordic countries where drivers tend to be more civil than other countries in EU, there is a sense of entitlement and selfishness on the road leading to mild passive, aggressive road rage.

Ever wonder why many Thais rarely look the other way when entering the road? Because there is an unspoken rule/understanding that others will see them entering and give them the right of way.

If you think the drivers in Thailand are inconsiderate try Vietnam. The traffic in the larger cities is much worse and far more chaotic but they make it work. There is method to the madness along with a high amount of civility that allows the traffic to flow despite misguided perceptions of what is right/wrong by foreigners.

Why? Because it's not about me, me, me - it's about us. Many farang simply dont understand this while ignorantly attributing behavior they disapprove of as 'losing face.'

Culture is often used in an attempt to excuse the inexcusable... Added to which your argument becomes fundamentally flawed when Thai's have and voice exactly the same opinions and criticisms...

I'm not sure where you've been driving in Thailand, but curtesy is definitely not a trait I'd generally associate with driving in Thailand. However, I do agree that 'road rage' and acts of 'aggression' are minimal here in Thailand - but why is that? I'll answer my own question: Its because once the switch has been triggered the resulting violence is devastating... think Guns, machetes etc... no one wants that, so acts of aggression which could trigger violence are avoided at all costs.

On another point you made: Why Thai's rarely look the other way when entering a road - your overlooking the simple answers - stupidity, carelessness, lack of attention... In those cases whereby people don't look the simple answer is that they are just dumb, there is no way of dressing this up to make it more polite or less offensive...

Again, you're simply imposing your western notion of what's right/wrong despite what youve heard from other Thais.
You don't seem to understand or cant accept that youre in a different culture with a different way of doing things. Not looking the other way is form of unspoken trust, but like many farang, you distort positive attribute into an negative one preferring the more cynical perspective.
As an example, it's common sense for Thais and Asians to take off their shoes when entering the house but not the case for most westerners. Are the latter stupid and lacking common sense or is it just a different value system?
There are inconsiderate drivers in every country but I would rather take my chances with the relatively few I've encountered Thailand than the far more numerous ones in western countries like US/UK/AUS.

I have exactly the same rights of way on a road whether driving my pickup, m/c or bicycle.

And exactly the same rights to use road width, which is one complete lane.

Up to me.

Good luck with that attitude - I prefer self-defense. We'll see who survives longer.

Going back to the OP Re two lanes as it's legal to pass on the inside on a road with two or more lanes going in the same direction don't see a problem , it was asked in Ask the lawyer some time back and they posted the legislatio

NO NOT LEGAL

Have you or the OP considered that the trucks/busses etc in the outside lane are there in preparation of a U-turn ahead?

Sent from my LG-H324 using Tapatalk

The trucks on the "fast lane" (is there such a thing in Thailand?) drive there because the other lane is broken. But I never bother about them, just drive around them. It is really easy most of the time.

On the other hand, sometimes there are 3-4 buses in row which are driving around 110km/h and it is really hard to overtake them because they think they own the road.

Flashing lights to press the other driver out of the way is bad behavior and most drivers who do this also tailgaiting. I only do this at night to show to the left lane drivers that I am coming wink.png.

Overall, I think it is really nice and easy to drive in Thailand.

I have driven in many countries and to me they are among the worst drivers in the world. Their accident record per capita is a proof, they are second to last just before Lybia. I have driven thousands of kilometers in Thailand and I've never known what those idiots were going to do, they are cluless and dangerous, specially the motorcycle drivers, they think that they own the road. If they took all those drivers without proper papers off the road, it wouldn't be half as bad.

Correct. Motorbikes are given no heed. If you do not cover your butt, you get mowed down, without regret. The larger vehicle gets the most use of the road, it seems.

The trucks on the "fast lane" (is there such a thing in Thailand?) drive there because the other lane is broken. But I never bother about them, just drive around them. It is really easy most of the time.

On the other hand, sometimes there are 3-4 buses in row which are driving around 110km/h and it is really hard to overtake them because they think they own the road.

Flashing lights to press the other driver out of the way is bad behavior and most drivers who do this also tailgaiting. I only do this at night to show to the left lane drivers that I am coming wink.png.

In spite of what you say The road fatality rate in Thailand is more than double the global average of 18 per 100,000.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/02/study-thailand-roads-2nd-most-dangerous-in-the-world/

glad your experience is different

Edited by Linzz

I believe that the root of the problem lies in the concept of "face" and every effort to keep "loss of face" minimal.

Heavily tinted windows = no face

Small roadside fines = small loss of face

Stiff educational and qualification processes (acquiring a driver's licence) = major loss of face (for those that fail)

Reprimands from farangs = major loss of face

minimal loss of face = facilitating the continuation of insane driving habits as commented upon within this thread

Edited by WaiLai

Coming along Sukhumvit (Pattaya) yesterday in virtually bumper to bumper, very slow moving traffic, I used my indicator to move over to the inside lane once I saw a gap, the cars in that lane just sped up and closed the gap so I couldn't change lanes. It happened several times (and on many previous occasions) where cars just refused to let me in. Same as blocking an intersection preventing all traffic moving when lights change, it's just pure selfish ignorance, and at times it's just sadistic.

Coming along Sukhumvit (Pattaya) yesterday in virtually bumper to bumper, very slow moving traffic, I used my indicator to move over to the inside lane once I saw a gap, the cars in that lane just sped up and closed the gap so I couldn't change lanes. It happened several times (and on many previous occasions) where cars just refused to let me in. Same as blocking an intersection preventing all traffic moving when lights change, it's just pure selfish ignorance, and at times it's just sadistic.

Yes that annoys me too...you leave just a cars length and some DELETED jumps into it cause he thinks he will save a few seconds

Edited by seedy
language

Yes that annoys me too...you leave just a cars length and some bastard jumps into it cause he thinks he will save a few seconds

I'm talking about changing lanes. I think it's a deliberate attempt to shut you out and prevent you moving over, for no other than perverse reasons.

There's a right turn near one of my local markets. Traffic can be almost at a standstill in the lane opposite in the afternoon, so will those cars let anyone right turn? Of course not. They move forward and block the intersection even with the hundred cars in front of them going nowhere, rather than let anyone turn right facepalm.gif

There's a right turn near one of my local markets. Traffic can be almost at a standstill in the lane opposite in the afternoon, so will those cars let anyone right turn? Of course not. They move forward and block the intersection even with the hundred cars in front of them going nowhere, rather than let anyone turn right facepalm.gif

I think there is something quite nasty in the Thai psyche that creates this kind of behaviour, especially when behind the wheel.