Just Had Passport Stolen - Permission to Stay Will Expire Before New One Issued

I just had my passport, with double-entry tourist visa, pickpocketed on the Bangkok BTS (those who say this never happens in Thailand are full of crap!!!! THIS is why NOT to carry your passport around!!!! Unfortunately, had it with me ICW a SIM registration.). The 60d permission to stay on the first of my two entries expires 20 DEC. My earliest possible appt at the U. S. Embassy is 15 DEC, and I understand it'll take about 2 weeks to get the replacement. (Yes, I know about the reqt for police report - will do that tomorrow morning.)

I was planning on a side-trip to Cambo along about the 17th, but without a passport that's now impossible. So, by the time I get the replacement and am able to take it to the Thai Immigration Office for a new visa & stamp, I'll be over a week into overstay status.

What to do to avoid that?

Emergency or Temporary Passport maybe? Or does Thai Immigration understand this stuff?

Edited by hawker9000

all visa'a are lost along with the passport, once you have the replacement you could go to immigrtion and deal with the overstay, they may give you a 7 day permission to stay stamp.

or you could leave the country as soon and you get the new passport, deal with the overstay, and either re-enter and get a 30 day visa exempt entry, or apply for a new single entry tourist visa at one of the neighbouring consulates/embassy.

maybe your embassy could issue you with an emergency travel document, to travel to the border and obtain a 30 day visa exempt entry, thereby avoiding the overstay.

• Like 1

You should have immediate access to replace a crime lost passport - this is emergency service and no appointment is required - it is for normal replacements that an appointment is required.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/victims.html

I didn't know that, and wouldn't have known it from reading the embassy webpages about lost/stolen passports, so BIG THANKS for the link. Am following through on that right now.

• Like 1

HOW TO REPLACE A LOST/STOLEN ADULT PASSPORT (AGES 16+)

The loss of a valid U.S. passport is a serious matter. After making every attempt to recover the missing passport, please obtain a police report from the Thai Police station closest to where the event took place or from any Tourist Police station (Tourist Police Hotline: 1155).

To replace a passport, you must appear in person at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok during regular office hours (7:30-11 AM and 1-2 PM).

1. Make an appointment. (Appointments are recommended but not required if you have an urgent need for a replacement passport and can show proof of imminent travel.)

2. Complete Form DS-11 online and PRINT a hard copy. (If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date. Use of the blank version will lengthen processing time.)

3. Complete Form DS-64 electronically and PRINT a hard copy. If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date.

4. Bring the following to the appointment:

• Form DS-11
  • Form DS-64
  • Original police report documenting the loss/theft
  • A photocopy of your current U.S. passport, if available
  • A valid photo ID, if available
  • Passport photo (See link for detailed requirements; an onsite photo booth is available for a fee of 120 THB.)
  • Fee of $135, payable in cash (USD or THB) or by credit card

We will notify you by email when the new passport arrives, usually in about two weeks. If you would like us to mail the new passport to you, then you must prepay the postage for a Thai Post “Courier Pass Back Service” envelope at the Thai Post Office located on site.

If you have an urgent need for a replacement passport and can show proof of imminent travel, we may be able to issue you an “emergency passport” while you wait or within 24 hours. Please note that an emergency passport has a limited validity period of up to one year and may be replaced (free-of-charge) with a full-validity passport within that time.

After receiving the new passport, please take it to Thai Immigration to transfer the Thai entry stamp/visa. Our office will provide you with a letter to facilitate the transfer.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/replace_lost_stolen_adult_passport.html

Edited by Kasset Tak

13. Question : What should the alien do if he/she has lost his/her Passport and obtained the new one?

Answer : Firstly, the alien has to report of lost passport at the nearest Police Station. Then, he/she must contact his/her Embassy in Bangkok in order get to a new passport/or other Travel Document in lieu of Passport. After receiving the new Passport/Travel Document, the alien must bring it together with the Police Report of the latest lost passport to see The Immigration official in order to obtain a copy of entry stamp and stay permit in his/her new passport/travel document.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

Did you manage to scan your stolen passport along with the visa etc?

If you did it may make life a little easier for you when you get the police report (20 baht) and also when you go to the embassy to report it.

The US embassy should have a number for problems like this ( I am a Brit) and I am sure the UK embassy does.

If not just ring the US embassy and get the switchboard to put you through to (probably) the duty officer who should know what to do.

Remember to take the original and copies of the police report and of your stolen passport if you have them. It will make it easier for the embassy and for you also.

I wish you the best of luck.

The area you go is the Consulate area of the old Embassy and is diagonally across the street from the current Embasy building and is the same area that Thai queue to visit visa section (you should report to window to get pass to enter in the American queue). After security you go to waiting area and take path to right to the American services unit.

The area you go is the Consulate area of the old Embassy and is diagonally across the street from the current Embasy building and is the same area that Thai queue to visit visa section (you should report to window to get pass to enter in the American queue). After security you go to waiting area and take path to right to the American services unit.

Thanks.

At the police station, there was what seemed to be a JO (in civvies, but spoke English better than the desk guys) who advised me to go on ahead to the Immigration Office tomorrow, not even having a new passport in hand yet. I posed this question to the Embassy duty officer, and she also thought there might possibly be something they could do in advance now that I have a police report in hand - maybe stamp one of my pp photocopies or something. Any chance of that? (I also have a clear photo of my tourist visa to show them; the only thing I find a don't have any photos or copies of is my actual entry stamp).

Thanks.

At the police station, there was what seemed to be a JO (in civvies, but spoke English better than the desk guys) who advised me to go on ahead to the Immigration Office tomorrow, not even having a new passport in hand yet. I posed this question to the Embassy duty officer, and she also thought there might possibly be something they could do in advance now that I have a police report in hand - maybe stamp one of my pp photocopies or something. Any chance of that? (I also have a clear photo of my tourist visa to show them; the only thing I find a don't have any photos or copies of is my actual entry stamp).

Unless you have a passport there is nothing that immigration can do to assist.

For certain they will not stamp a photocopy which has no legal integrity/validity

My sympathies. Just out of curiosity - was the passport stolen from a pocket or a bag? I always carry cash and other valuables in a side pants pocket. I am guessing that your passport was in a back pocket or in a backpack or somesuch bag.

I had my US passport stolen here many years ago while on a tourist visa. After obtaining the police report I filled out all the paperwork and went to embassy. I had an emergency passport the next day along with a letter to Thai Immigration. The emergency passport is only good for one year and you will have to renew it then. You do get credit for the amount paid for the emergency passport. One thing to keep in mind. Everytime you travel you may have a little longer time at the immigration checkpoints. When they scan your passport it will show you had it stolen. Just flip to the last page and show them the stamp " This is to replace a stolen passport".

My sympathies. Just out of curiosity - was the passport stolen from a pocket or a bag? I always carry cash and other valuables in a side pants pocket. I am guessing that your passport was in a back pocket or in a backpack or somesuch bag.

No, not in a back pocket or bag. It was in a side/front pocket. I normally have my hand actually in the pocket covering or actually holding the wallet, and if not doing that then continually "brushing" or checking my pocket. But in this case I was carrying a bag of groceries and my cellphone in my hands. And the BTS station and trains were extremely crowded. Even so the thief had a fairly narrow window of opportunity (while I was standing in line for the train or actually on the train - which was just one stop's worth). Had to have been adept - I never felt a thing, and I'm probably about the most paranoid person you could ever know when it comes to pickpocketing awareness. Looking back, no "bumping" into anyone or person-to-person incidents I can think of during the 10mins or so during which this had to have happened.

Anyone know how much the temporary passport will cost? 'Same as a regular one?

Edited by hawker9000

Did you manage to scan your stolen passport along with the visa etc?

If you did it may make life a little easier for you when you get the police report (20 baht) and also when you go to the embassy to report it.

The US embassy should have a number for problems like this ( I am a Brit) and I am sure the UK embassy does.

If not just ring the US embassy and get the switchboard to put you through to (probably) the duty officer who should know what to do.

Remember to take the original and copies of the police report and of your stolen passport if you have them. It will make it easier for the embassy and for you also.

I wish you the best of luck.

Yes, I do have photocopies of my passport as well as the police report. Recommend everyone travel with photocopies of their passport. Don't be so loose with them that they're easily stolen, but do put them in different places in your bags & baggage, wallet, etc. so no matter what you'll have one you can grab if the need arises. Certainly glad I have mine.

• Like 1

So, can anyone tell me what to expect once I do get a replacement passport and go to the immigration Office? I'll be using Chaeng Wattana. I was on the first entry of a double-entry tourist visa. I do have a clear photocopy of that visa, showing the issue date, visa number, etc. I also have extra pp photos with me.

Is there an appropriate form to fill out for a visa replacement, or is that just not going to happen, or is it a roll of the dice, or what?

So, can anyone tell me what to expect once I do get a replacement passport and go to the immigration Office? I'll be using Chaeng Wattana. I was on the first entry of a double-entry tourist visa. I do have a clear photocopy of that visa, showing the issue date, visa number, etc. I also have extra pp photos with me.

Is there an appropriate form to fill out for a visa replacement, or is that just not going to happen, or is it a roll of the dice, or what?

The 2nd entry of your tourist visa was lost with your passport. They cannot replace your visa.

They will just reinstate your entry/permit to stay stamp into your new passport.

They should do the 30 day extension of your current entry.

I had my passport pickpocketed from a very deep side pocket on cargo pants at Pratunam a few years back

I was in a jam late Oct. this year down in Singapore as my pp was going to expire in less than 10 weeks through my own fault. I talked my way out of the airport in BKK and upon arrival in Singapore to get on the streets......Didn't realise I was digging myself a deeper ditch!!!! Long story longer the U S Embassy came to my rescue!! BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY AND ISSUED ME AN "EMERGENCY PASSPORT" the following day!!! Also I walked in with no appointment!!! My experience with the U S Embassy in Singapore was 1st class all the way!!!!! THANK U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 2nd entry of your tourist visa was lost with your passport. They cannot replace your visa.

They will just reinstate your entry/permit to stay stamp into your new passport.

They should do the 30 day extension of your current entry.

That's what I needed to know, thanks. Assuming I'm issued a replacement passport good for a year, I'll probably just go ahead with my original plans to fly out to Cambo around the 17th, then come back in on a 30d visa exempt maybe the following week - I'll definitely want the 30d extension on that though. So all I'm looking for then is the entry stamp reinstatement in my replacement passport. Which form for that - I'd prefer to have everything ready to go when I show up? And in addition to the replacement passport, I understand the Embassy is going to give me a letter to show Immigration as well?

When I come back, should I expect to be taken aside for extra questions at Suv.? Anything extra I can have printed out ahead of time to ward off evil spirits?

Thanks again.

Edited by hawker9000

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/lostpassport.doc

Have copy of new passport data page and anything you have of old entry.

You can complete this form and take it with your but they may have you do different one: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/lostpassport.pdf

Same form. Done. Thanks. Not the regular TM-30 or something similar? (Or I guess that would be just in case I was requesting the 30d extension?)