loquat

fruitman

I bought a blooming loquat tree in BKK but have never tasted them, are they nice fruit? If so then why are they so hard to find here?

It was blooming when i bought it but i cut the blooms off so it can grow more. Now a few months later it's blooming again.

Have you ever seen loquats in thailand? If so were they nice?

Allright, they also grow a lot in Spain and they call them nispero.

The tree still didn't set any fruit but it is blooming.

I also get some loquatseeds from Australia soon, hope they are another variety so i can compare them one day.

Japanese love them as well and have many variety's.

• 4 weeks later...

They are delicious!! I have been trying to get someone to post me some seeds from Australia.. As a kid most old houses in my area always had a loquat and a mulberry tree (and I knew where they all were hahaha). I think this is a very good fruit to develop as they did with the kiwi fruit. The seeds are big and plentiful as Rice555 states above. The skin can be a bit leathery and marks easily(not a perfect appearance) but the flesh is worth it. The trees as a kid grew almost wild/untended but the quantity of fruit per tree was impressive (I could jump a fence and be back with an armfull in two minutes!!). I read somewhere that the seeds must not dry out in transit or they will fail to germinate, so some care/speed may be needed when posting. Good luck.