Time to get heavy on Phuket’s public transport operators

webfact

Time to get heavy on Phuket’s public transport operators
The Phuket News

1449721976_1-org.jpg
Chief of Phuket Land Transport Office, Jarurong Kaewkasi. The Phuket News file photo

PHUKET: -- Public transport operators on the island will have their driving licences seized, suspended or terminated if they break Department of Land Transport (DLT) rules, and people now can report driver’s behaviour directly via the 1584 phoneline.

The announcement came from Chief of Phuket Land Transport Office, Jarurong Kaewkasi, during a meeting held at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday (Dec 9).

He warned all of Phuket’s public transport operators that if they are found to be breaking traffic laws they will face more severe penalties from the DLT in addition to charges for violating existing traffic laws.

“Licences will be seized, suspended or terminated if any driver is found guilty of damaging the island’s tourism image by either driving recklessly, acting inappropriately or endangering others,” said Mr Jaturong.

“Our records show that many public transport drivers in Phuket have failed to obey traffic laws and cause so many accident and distress on Phuket roads because they drive dangerously.

“Reckless driving has done a lot of damage to the island’s tourism image and it is time to tighten up on our laws and regulations,” he added.

The penalty for first-time minor offences such as neglecting to use a meter in a taxi or failing to display their ID is a B1,000 fine.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/time-to-get-heavy-on-phuket-public-transport-operators-55332.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-10

"The penalty for first-time minor offences such as neglecting to use a meter in a taxi or failing to display their ID is a B1,000 fine.

For a second offence their will be a B1,000 and temporary 30-day suspension of a licence.

A third offence will leave the driver with a fine of B1,000 and 6-months suspended licence .

Minor offences also include charge higher fares, failure to drop off passengers the agreed place and refusal to pick up passengers.

The penalty for first-time offences fore more severe breaches such as driving under the influence of alcohol or other substances will see drivers have their licences suspended for 30-days."

30 day ban for driving tourists around whilst drunk or high?!?!? - 'time to get heavy' indeed

facepalm.gif

Phuket officials take hardline on dangerous taxi drivers
Phuket Gazette

p2.jpeg
Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser for the PLTO, is stepping up the PLTO's actions against public transport drivers breaking the law. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) vowed yesterday to take tougher lines against taxi, minivan and tuk-tuk drivers breaking the law.

“These drivers usually have more lives in their hands than other motorists in Phuket and they have a responsibility to ensure that their passengers safely reach their destinations. However, they have caused many accidents recently. Such issues can damage the reputation of the island, which we can not allow,” said Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser for the PLTO.

“The issue of driving under the influence is receiving a lot of attention right now. However, we will also be tackling other illegal activities, such as failing to take passengers to their desired locations, denying passengers rides, over charging and intimidation.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-officials-hardline-dangerous-taxi-drivers/62576?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-10

Get those yellow-top Tuk-Tuks back from Karon to Phuket City, where they belong.

Fine those Ghettoblast-Tuk-Tuks.

Fine overloaded Tuk-Tuks with more than allowed number of passengers.

Fine those Tuk-Tuks with illegally modified exhaust pipes.

Give parking space back to the public.

I am afraid I keep repeating myself sad.png

nothing but lip service for peak season. Why even waste your breathe you corrupt scum.

Same old song and dance every year.

As soon as you start seeing 10 times more beggars on the streets you know bogus statements like this are just around the corner.

Just try calling 1584 and see how far you get with your complaint.

All the problems are right in front of your face all year long, if you were serious about doing something about the extortionate taxi's and tuk tuks you would have done it by now, it's been the same for decades!!!!!

Lets make public transport before, bus routes between beaches, ban all this tub-tuks and cars whet they call TAXI but they are far away from TAXI. Only metered TAXI to Phuket with reasonable price, no limousine service (funny to call a Toyota Altis limousine), no green plate cars with sticker without TAXI meter.

Two mini vans racing down the main drag in Kamala today....like everyday. Nearly hit an old woman crossing in front of BigC who was patiently waiting on the center line for traffic to clear. The trailing mini van was so close to the other he couldn't see her as he tried to pass in the on-coming lane and just missed her. All right in front of a copper who didn't do diddly dick

Quote : “Reckless driving has done a lot of damage to the island’s tourism image and it is time to tighten up on our laws and regulations,” he added.

True. Now, pray tell us what has not done a lot of damage to the island's image, in the past 20 years or so ? How about :

- Pollution of the whole island, especially the beaches and the sea,

- Ugly, aggressive and anarchic building everywhere,

- Greedy taxis with a nasty and aggressive atttitude,

- Absurd prices compared to the rest of Thailand,

- Unpleasant and xenophobic attitude of locals towards tourists in most places : "give us your cash but don't expect a thank you or a smile in return",

- Pollution by noise, everywhere and all the time,

- Dangerous roads, even for non-reckless drivers,

etc.

To any of my Western friends who are planning a trip to Thailand and ask me if I think Phuket is a good idea, I reply : "if you can travel not just through space but also 20 years back in time, then yes it is. If you can't, avoid the place altogether".

I do recommend other places in Thailand, though, because this country still has a lot to offer, but let's face it, Phuket's reputation is sort of like the fame of a very old singer who stills attracts people on account of her reputation, but has lost most of her voice and stamina.

"The penalty for first-time minor offences such as neglecting to use a meter in a taxi or failing to display their ID is a B1,000 fine.

For a second offence their will be a B1,000 and temporary 30-day suspension of a licence.

A third offence will leave the driver with a fine of B1,000 and 6-months suspended licence .

Minor offences also include charge higher fares, failure to drop off passengers the agreed place and refusal to pick up passengers.

The penalty for first-time offences for more severe breaches such as driving under the influence of alcohol or other substances will see drivers have their licences suspended for 30-days."

This is indeed the Thai version of "getting heavy". Any penalty at all, is getting heavy. When someone drives drunk, and endangers the lives of 15 people in a mini van, lets suspend his license for 30 days. Wow, that will get his attention. Wow, he will not know what hit him. Wow, the entire community will hear about what real men do, when the public is endangered. How about taking away his van, and impounding it for a year, at a charge of 10,000 baht per month, for impounding? How about mandatory loss of job? How about prison time? That is how real men "get heavy". Wimps issue 1000 baht fines, and wimps suspend licenses for 30 days. And what is the penalty for driving with a suspended license? Another 1000 baht? All talk and no action makes Jururong a very dull boy.

Get those yellow-top Tuk-Tuks back from Karon to Phuket City, where they belong.

Fine those Ghettoblast-Tuk-Tuks.

Fine overloaded Tuk-Tuks with more than allowed number of passengers.

Fine those Tuk-Tuks with illegally modified exhaust pipes.

Give parking space back to the public.

I am afraid I keep repeating myself sad.png

Just bazooka those bloody tuk tuks...way more fun and I dont even live down there

In the history of this forum have any government officials responded to any threads here?.... I would welcome Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser for the PLTO to visit here and answer some of the points raised on this thread..... But one can only dream

In the history of this forum have any government officials responded to any threads here?.... I would welcome Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser for the PLTO to visit here and answer some of the points raised on this thread..... But one can only dream