booking flight paying cash

salavan

Yes that's normal nowadays, with some Thai airlines you even can pay for the flight at your local 7/11, but unfortunately not with the Inter (like Eva) ones.

But to answer your question, if you book via a Travel agent, you can pay cash.

But the problem could be, is finding a good travel agent. whistling.gif

Good Luck

Many airlines don't have this option and the reason for it has something to do with the USA. In the past the USA would not allow anyone to book a ticket without something that's traceable, later on extended for any airlines who have a registration there to comply to even on flights from say Asia to Europe.

Minor note... EVA AIR wants to see the creditcard when you check in, so maybe they use it as another way of verification of your identity. I once booked a flight with my Kasikorn Cyber Webshopping card (virtual creditcard) and they made me log in to my account and print a paper showing my identity connected to that card, otherwise I was not gonna get on that flight.

Many airlines don't have this option and the reason for it has something to do with the USA. In the past the USA would not allow anyone to book a ticket without something that's traceable, later on extended for any airlines who have a registration there to comply to even on flights from say Asia to Europe.

Minor note... EVA AIR wants to see the creditcard when you check in, so maybe they use it as another way of verification of your identity. I once booked a flight with my Kasikorn Cyber Webshopping card (virtual creditcard) and they made me log in to my account and print a paper showing my identity connected to that card, otherwise I was not gonna get on that flight.

Eva Air only require to see your credit card at checkin for certain countries. For example Thailand to Uk not required.

I always wonder why airlines dont use paypal as this option is so easy. I have not found any airline using paypal.

Eva Air only require to see your credit card at checkin for certain countries. For example Thailand to Uk not required.

I always wonder why airlines dont use paypal as this option is so easy. I have not found any airline using paypal.

I purchased the ticket online on Eva website and flew on Nov and did not have to show CC at the airport. It was Singapore to San Francisco round trip. Not sure if it makes any difference but I'm also Star Alliance gold member (and checked in on gold member counter).

According to the Air Asia (as an example) website: http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=237

14. Other than purchasing online at www.airasia.com, where can I purchase tickets and what are the respective payment methods?
You can also purchase tickets at our sales office, airport sales counter, AirAsia’s kiosk or through our call centre.

Payment methods available:
  1. Sales office - credit card/ cash
  2. Airport sales counter - credit card/ cash
  3. Kiosk - cash
  4. Call centre - credit card/ payment over ATM / over the counter

I purchased the ticket online on Eva website and flew on Nov and did not have to show CC at the airport. It was Singapore to San Francisco round trip. Not sure if it makes any difference but I'm also Star Alliance gold member (and checked in on gold member counter).

EVA didn't ask for CC at LA to BKK

I once tried to book a flight with Bangkok airlines on-line . The passenger was my step daughter................when I tried to pay online with my credit card a warning message came up stating that " the passenger would be required to produce the credit card at check in before being permitted to board the flight". As the step daughter was heading back to work in Bangkok, and I wasnt going to airport to see her off.....................I couldnt continue with the booking as I didnt want my credit card in Bangkok with the step daughter .

Instead we booked with air asia and paid at 7/11. No problems.

Edited by novo58

With Jetstar you can use Paypal to purchase Jetstar gift vouchers, then use the vouchers to pay for your ticket. Vouchers come in denominations as low as $25 so you can get close to the amount due or pay the balance by direct debit (not an option for everyone). No credit card fee this way.

I once tried to book a flight with Bangkok airlines on-line . The passenger was my step daughter................when I tried to pay online with my credit card a warning message came up stating that " the passenger would be required to produce the credit card at check in before being permitted to board the flight". As the step daughter was heading back to work in Bangkok, and I wasnt going to airport to see her off.....................I couldnt continue with the booking as I didnt want my credit card in Bangkok with the step daughter .

Finally got caught out with that a couple months ago. Dozens of flights here, and I don't recall them ever checking the card when checking in, but a friend paid for my flight after doing a favor, and I had to buy another ticket at the sales counter in the airport. Fortunately I had cash on me.

I have paid my upcoming trip with Paypal (Emirates flight).

It's mostly an identification process , you can't trace cash can you , I'm surprised they'll take a Debit card , a Credit Card has all your details

I have never been asked to see the card I booked with and I've flown with EVA a lot, maybe it's just a random thing

OP as you have a picture of a Kray as your avatar I presume you are in the UK.

You said that you tried to pay with cash, so in effect did you go to their offices at

160 Euston Road London to try to buy the ticket?

Where else could you try to buy an EVA Air ticket with cash......airport?

You certainly can't buy online with cash and a travel agent would have accepted cash as they pay EVA not you.

I'm just interested how you tried to buy the ticket with cash, if I'm missing something apologies.

I have paid my upcoming trip with Paypal (Emirates flight).

Which is the same as paying by bank, you can't have a PP account without a bank, so no help to the OP

I've flown on EVA a lot between LHR-BKK. Never paid cash but did have an issue once when the debit card I'd used to pay for the flight was lost/stolen a month before I flew and the whole thing about being able to present the card you'd paid for the flight on became a concern.

Having spoken to the EVA office, I was told they are only interested in seeing the card if you booked directly with them i.e. using their website or telesales line. I nearly always use a 3rd party which might explain why I don't get asked for it. I'm not sure about this explanation though because I'm sure the check-in agents at LHR are servicing several airlines, not just EVA. I suspect it is pot luck more than anything.

Anyways, this loss of card also caused some concern with regards to the Bangkok Airways flights I'd booked because I couldn't get an adequate answer but in the end I was never asked to show my card on either leg, despite them insisting on the website it's mandatory. Again pot luck.

On another note, I've booked on EVA for March 2016 and was asked to submit some details on the website I used to book which are stated to be used for advance passenger screening ie. passport number, date of issue. I recall supplying this elsewhere in previous years while filling out the booking details but it's never been explicitly stated in relation to screening. Whether it is used or not I'd be interested to know, given it doesn't seem overly difficult for people to slip in and out of Thailand...

My 2c. smile.png

I paid cash for a flight at the airport in Lampang. It was a Bangkok Airways flight. I also booked a Bangkok Airways flight over the phone a couple of weeks ago as my laptop crashed and they wouldn't accept a debit card. They insisted on a credit card. The said if I booked on the phone and wanted to pay cash I would have to make the payment that day. As we were not going to Lampang until the following day I paid with my credit card.

It is quite common for airlines to check CC at check in, nothing to do with identity it is to prevent credit card fraud. If the credit card holder is not travelling then they are normally required to go to the airline office and verify the transaction.