Why is it necessary to do a Visa run?

No need for Visa Runs.

Get an Extension of Temporary Stay at your local immigration office based on marriage, retirement, work, volunteering, education, family....

Typically for 12 months, just report by mail/online every 90 days. smile.png

Apply for Permanent Residency once you qualify.

thumbsup.gif

Visa Runs??

If you're penniless and don't qualify for the numerous visa extensions offered to aliens, then, well, sorry for your predicament and best of luck trying to scam your way through staying in Thailand at all costs, as opposed to going to a country that you actually have some sort of birth-right to live in.

smile.png

Edited by Happy Grumpy

To clarify there are Border Runs and Visa Runs.

- A Visa Run is when your Visa has run out (passed the "Enter Before" date) and you have to go to a Thai Embassy / Consulate in another country to get a New Visa

- A Border Run is when your permission to stay (inside Thailand) has run out and you need to activate another entry on your Visa. (Only in case if you have a more then 1 Entry Visa)

If you want the easy way, then you need to apply for an extension of stay at Immigration, if you qualify you can get up to 1 year stay.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

If you want the easy way, then you need to apply for an extension of stay at Immigration, if you qualify you can get up to 1 year stay.

Actually, if connected to a employment contract/WP that is for longer than 1 year, for example a 2 year employment contract, is the EoTS not for 2 years, until the the end of the employment contract?

I still lack understanding.

My initial reaction is that the person is trying to circumvent the law in a cunning way.

If it is because of $$$ deficiency, a run will give only a short-term escape from the law authorities.

Visa runs are not required if you qualify for long stay in Thailand - which is the same situation as in most any country - a smile and intent to stay are not normally accepted as sufficient.

As mentioned there are a number of extension of stay possibilities that many people qualify for and use to avoid frequent visa or border travels. But most will have paperwork and/or financial conditions that must be fulfilled.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

Actually, if connected to a employment contract/WP that is for longer than 1 year, for example a 2 year employment contract, is the EoTS not for 2 years, until the the end of the employment contract?

This is a bit offtopic, but I just called a guy I know who has a contract longer then 1 year, but he has to renew his EoTS every year, this year it was so difficult that he even had to go to Vientiane to get a Single Entry Non-B.

Maybe wait for UJ or Lopburi3 to comment on this ?

Edited by MJCM

This is a bit offtopic, but I just called a guy I know who has a contract longer then 1 year, but he has to renew his EoTS every year, this year it was so difficult that he even had to go to Vientiane to get a Single Entry Non-B.

Maybe wait for UJ or Lopburi3 to comment on this ?

You have to be working for a BOI company or similar to get a 2 year extension.

Normal is only one year.

• Like 1

My initial reaction is that the person is trying to circumvent the law in a cunning way.

If it is because of $$$ deficiency, a run will give only a short-term escape from the law authorities.

There is nothing illegal about doing a visa/border run. In fact it's illegal not to. You must exit the country at the end of your permit to stay unless granted an extension of stay. Thailand wants visitors to exit/re-enter and are happy for them to re-enter as long as the person qualifies.

I think you might be confusing the legal need for many visitors to exit/enter with those that are living/working here illegally. Illegal workers are the group of "visa runners" on the authorities radar. They mostly do not have visas and do a border run every 15/30 days.

Anyone can exit/enter Thailand legally, as often as they want, as long as the activity whilst in Thailand is legal.

Edited by elviajero

I know a farang who meets the income requirements for an O-A visa extension. Yet, he does visa runs. Confusing.

His own choice, I qualify also and have been on extensions of stay for a couple of years, but now I am also doing Visa / Border Runs.

• Like 2

When I get married I am going to miss visa runs.

I think I will still want to go to out of Thailand every 90 days.

You have 2 options, extension of stay and get a Multiple re-entry permit or get a Multiple Entry Non-O Visa at a Thai Embassy / Consulate

With both options you can leave every week if you want to biggrin.png

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

You have 2 options, extension of stay and get a Multiple re-entry permit or get a Multiple Entry Non-O Visa at a Thai Embassy / Consulate

Nice. The only problem that wife will be on my back. Why need to lave? Need stay save money :(

• Like 1

Nice. The only problem that wife will be on my back. Why need to lave? Need stay save money sad.png

I take my wife with me, We already have 2 upcoming Trips planned and booked, they are mini holidays for us as we go 3-4-x days so it's not a Dash to the Border and back.

• Like 1

I was wondering how many extensions can you get? i received one in november. Can i get another in December? Thank you for your help!

A 30 day extension of a visa exempt or tourist visa entry can only be done once per entry,

• Like 1

did you tell her you no longer need to exit los every 30 or 60 days whatever you decide to make up? Dont tell me that you explained to her how 12 month extensions really work. Gezuz

whistling.gif There can be those who are here on a retirement extension and who receive a monthly retirement pension.

They could stay here in Thailand, but for whatever reason they actually enjoy a trip on two yearly out of Thailand to a neighboring country, for a change of scenery.

That is what the exit re-entry permit is for, so you can leave Thailand and not lose your retirement extension on return.

Not for everyone, but the right way for some people.

Different people, different interests, different situations.

It happens.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

What is an EoTS?

What is an EoTS?

Short for Extension of Stay ;)

For my first 3 years living in Thailand, I had One-year Multiple entry 'B' visas so i crossed over into PDR Lao every 90 days or less. I always did some shopping for the almost-wife. Then I got an Extension Of Stay via retirement and went to Nong Khai IMM for the 90 day report. The a-w asked me what was I going to bring her from the duty-free shop and was crushed when she realized that I no longer had to cross the bridge.

Edited by JLCrab

you have a wrong picture of people doing a Border Run or Visa run. Most of our customers are coming once or twice only per year and are trying to stay within the law. If not than they would be Overstayers.

The authorities have stopped continuous back to back visa exempt stamps.

I think I can not list all reason for people doing a Visa Run, but some are: stay with family or friends for a limited time, joined a religious retreat, looking for job, get paperwork in order to apply for long term visa, just extend the holiday, apply visa for another country, change job, wait for new passport, study thai or even muay thai or in a regular university. Some people were hired and work on tourist visa until they pass probation period. Some opened a business, but not all documents are ready yet.

And this business is not thriving, since last year at least 3 companies in BKK alone closed down due to reduced demand.

Other countries have similar rules, but the huge number of people in certain areas Thailand made it possible to start a Visa Run operation.

You can find few companies in BKK, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui and Phuket.

There is nothing illegal about doing a visa/border run. In fact it's illegal not to. You must exit the country at the end of your permit to stay unless granted an extension of stay. Thailand wants visitors to exit/re-enter and are happy for them to re-enter as long as the person qualifies.

I think you might be confusing the legal need for many visitors to exit/enter with those that are living/working here illegally. Illegal workers are the group of "visa runners" on the authorities radar. They mostly do not have visas and do a border run every 15/30 days.

Anyone can exit/enter Thailand legally, as often as they want, as long as the activity whilst in Thailand is legal.

I think it would be more accurate to say, "Anyone can exit/enter Thailand legally, as often as they want, as long as they can convince the immigration officer that their activity whilst in Thailand is legal."

Which seems to be getting more difficult, if hundreds of posts in dozens of recent threads are any indication.

Edited by impulse

The visa run industry is thriving in Thailand.

In Western countries, I have never evidenced same.

Why is it necessary to do these runs & is there an easier, softer way?

"In Western countries, I have never evidenced same."

Because when visiting western countries on a tourist visa, you leave at the end of your permitted stay. If you kept returning with new tourist visas, one after the other, you'd probably either be denied a new visa or denied entry.