British woman, 28, killed after motorbike rammed by Phuket pickup truck on Patong Hill

Jonathan Fairfield

HOping the killer will spend 25 years in jail. How ever the law is what they decide it is today. Article 44 prevails.

No helmets, and on the wrong side of the road, facing the wrong way ....... doesn't look like the pickup drivers fault to me.

Oh, and no dent in the front of the pickup, seems to be a slow hit, which probably means she died because her head (no helmet) hit the road.

How absurd your deductive ability is. How can you say she was on the wrong side of the road and facing the wrong way?

Come on Sherlock she was hit up the rear, which means she was facing the same direction as the traffic and hence could not have been on the wrong side of the road.

Looks very much like the pickup drivers fault. He rear ended her.

And you must be blind not to see the damage to the front of the pickup.

QED - x2!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOping the killer will spend 25 years in jail. How ever the law is what they decide it is today. Article 44 prevails.

25 years for a bike going from a small soi onto the main road and getting hit by a car on that was already driving on the main road (right of way). I am happy your not a judge.

25 years for a bike going from a small soi onto the main road and getting hit by a car on that was already driving on the main road (right of way). I am happy your not a judge.

Just shows how bigotry prevails over reason with some people

No helmets, and on the wrong side of the road, facing the wrong way ....... doesn't look like the pickup drivers fault to me.

Oh, and no dent in the front of the pickup, seems to be a slow hit, which probably means she died because her head (no helmet) hit the road.

How absurd your deductive ability is. How can you say she was on the wrong side of the road and facing the wrong way?

Come on Sherlock she was hit up the rear, which means she was facing the same direction as the traffic and hence could not have been on the wrong side of the road.

Looks very much like the pickup drivers fault. He rear ended her.

And you must be blind not to see the damage to the front of the pickup.

She got onto the main road from a small soi.. she should have looked first if it was safe, the cars / motorbikes on the main road have right of way.

HOping the killer will spend 25 years in jail.

Why the rush to judgement.? What if the girl was at fault? There was a hill,she did a U-turn, sounds like it might have been a stupid error of on the girl's part and the Vigos driver didn't have time to stop,

I have learned over time to take news reports such as this in Thailand with a pinch (my inner thoughts are usually - I wonder what really happened), they are almost always inaccurate

riding a scooter is not rocket science nor difficult to learn - what is difficult to learn is how to be safe on roads that have one of (if not) the worst road safety track records in the world, did these girls just ride out in front of a car ? I don't think so - did they attempt and fail to do a uturn or were they stopped waiting for a break in the traffic to do a uturn ? who knows, one thing I do know as posted above - I have seen several serious accidents here were the driver was looking at a mobile phone, I was on foot, I have also covered over 90.000km on Thailand roads and Cambodia and seen some horrendous driving, I am also very qualified to make a judgement but I won't get into that

Do I think these girls were likely at fault here (gut feel) no

Do I think the truck driver did something dangerous like use a mobile phone when trying to drive - based on my experience here - highly likely

Another sad pointless loss of life on Thailands roads

RIP

And if the scooter rider is at fault?

apparently to some, this is not possible as they seem incapable of thinking further than their own bigoted distain for Thai people

Truck, bus, car, tuk tuk or a soi dog have a better chance of survival vs a motobike in Thailand. It is point and click driving here in Thailand. Even kids, raised on a motorbike since birth, die daily in a lawless driving system. Even crossing an intersection on foot is unusually dangerous. Your driving experience, in your country, can not prepare you for blindsiding actions of motorist here.

Why are English expats in Thailand so hebetudinous?

Because there is nobody to put them back in line like home wink.png

Remember that many expats leave their home country because they don't fit in/are black sheep/are freaks/are different and because many of us cover our identities here in the forum some see it as a chance to finally be their honest but repulsive selves.

Especially the guys who will reply to this post with; speak for yourself, are the ones to give a wide berth. 5555

Some food for thought over a few Leos tonight

In my opinion, expats who can't finish their day without downing a 'few leos' are also best avoided.

Thais , daily, die on these bikes and yet foreigners continue to use/ride them - foolish !

I have been in this country nearly 30 years and NEVER ride a motorcycle on main roads. I've seen countless deaths, usually not the riders fault.

One in Khon Kaen last week where the rider was totally innocent.

horrible. was the driver blind?

Lots of inexperience young tourist thinking easy to drive scooter here without helmet many times can see they have no idea how to drive...... RIP for a girl.

Automatically blame the tourist on the bike <deleted>, I hate know-it all- guess- merchants, In October I was hit head on in Patong on a bend by a fat Italian riding his scooter on MY side of the road, accidents can happen anywhere anytime, and BTW I had never up to that point had a bike to Vehicle accident in 43 years, and always wear an helmet .

I was riding my motorbike in Nakhon Sawan about 3 years ago. I was at the traffic lights and when they turned green I started off and got T-boned by 2 Thai old ladies in a ratty old pickup truck that ran the red light.

Like palace15 I ALWAYS wear a helmet even if it just to my mates place 300 metres away.

Accidents DO happen but here in Thailand many are preventable with just the simplest precautions and the most important is ALWAYS wear a helmet and ALWAYS do it up.

If you don't think is is necessary just buy a red watermelon, throw it into the air and let it land on the road. That could be your head without a helmet.

Lots of inexperience young tourist thinking easy to drive scooter here without helmet many times can see they have no idea how to drive...... RIP for a girl.

Automatically blame the tourist on the bike <deleted>, I hate know-it all- guess- merchants, In October I was hit head on in Patong on a bend by a fat Italian riding his scooter on MY side of the road, accidents can happen anywhere anytime, and BTW I had never up to that point had a bike to Vehicle accident in 43 years, and always wear an helmet .

I was riding my motorbike in Nakhon Sawan about 3 years ago. I was at the traffic lights and when they turned green I started off and got T-boned by 2 Thai old ladies in a ratty old pickup truck that ran the red light.

Like palace15 I ALWAYS wear a helmet even if it just to my mates place 300 metres away.

Accidents DO happen but here in Thailand many are preventable with just the simplest precautions and the most important is ALWAYS wear a helmet and ALWAYS do it up.

If you don't think is is necessary just buy a red watermelon, throw it into the air and let it land on the road. That could be your head without a helmet.

According to phuketwan site the lady saying she was the rider states that both she and the deceased were wearing helmets.RIP to her friend.

"Accidents DO happen but here in Thailand many are preventable with just the simplest precautions and the most important is ALWAYS wear a helmet and ALWAYS do it up."

Accidents can happen anywhere in the world, but pray tell how can one prevent an accident by just wearing a helmet?

"If you don't think is is necessary just buy a red watermelon, throw it into the air and let it land on the road. That could be your head without a helmet."

The very same result is possible if you throw a melon into the air in bathroom, same as simply slip over in the shower. Yes?

Thais , daily, die on these bikes and yet foreigners continue to use/ride them - foolish !

I have been in this country nearly 30 years and NEVER ride a motorcycle on main roads. I've seen countless deaths, usually not the riders fault.

One in Khon Kaen last week where the rider was totally innocent.

horrible. was the driver blind?

This is likely to happen when a driver is not familiar with driving an automatic. Driver takes his foot of the brake but then the car starts slowly moving forward (something that does not happen when you drive with gears). Driver panics and wants to quickly put his foot back on the pedal but hits the gas instead of the brakes.

I navigate Patong hill every day and customers from the Family Mart going to Patong tend to wait till there is no traffic coming from Patong and then quickly move forward to the middle of the road where they drive slowly and try to get to the motorcycle lane maneuvering between the cars. Perhaps a car gave way to the women who crossed in front of this car only to get hit by someone overtaking in the left lane.

It is an unfortunate and tragic accident but I cannot help myself thinking of the police officer who took home 142 scratch cards and is now wondering where to collect all these 1,000 Euro cash prizes and is giving out free holidays to family and neighbours.

Remember that many expats leave their home country because they don't fit in/are black sheep/are freaks/are different and because many of us cover our identities here in the forum some see it as a chance to finally be their honest but repulsive selves.

Especially the guys who will reply to this post with; speak for yourself, are the ones to give a wide berth. 5555

In my opinion, expats who can't finish their day without downing a 'few leos' are also best avoided.

Did it feel as if I was talking about you? Sorry for that, 555

How do you know that I drink Leo on a daily basis? I said a few Leos tonight...learn how to read

RIP

whoever was at fault, when they started that journey neither of them intended to cause a fatal road collision, it only takes a split second's distraction to cause a collision, yes it can also be caused by aggressive driving, a total disregard to road rules, and lots of other reasons.

please bare in mind that the family of the deceased young women may well read this thread, Wild theories are just that wild theories.

These fatalities will continue to be in the headlines until things in Thailand take a dramatic turnaround with regards to road safety.p

edit i had to look up - hebetudinous

Edited by steve187

This information appears that the girl driver was at fault. I KINDLY REMOVE MY COMMENTS ABOUT THE JAILING OF THE TRUCK DRIVER. MY INFORMATION WAS PREMATURE AND I APOLOGIZE.

Anyone with a bit of common sense would know not to make nape-of-the-neck judgemen ts about traffic accidents or any event come to that - I hope you've learned a lesson.

This information appears that the girl driver was at fault. I KINDLY REMOVE MY COMMENTS ABOUT THE JAILING OF THE TRUCK DRIVER. MY INFORMATION WAS PREMATURE AND I APOLOGIZE.

Anyone with a bit of common sense would know not to make nape-of-the-neck judgemen ts about traffic accidents or any event come to that - I hope you've learned a lesson.

He will wear the dunces cap at school for one week, Miss.

How do you know it was the pick up driver's fault?

Could the bike not have driven in front of him.

Accidents do happen.

Certainly not a killer.

No such thing as an "accident" - I think we should wait for the evaluation...........except it won't happen

Yes there is. It is the opposite of a deliberate act. That's not to deny any culpability. The man who rode his motorbike into a tree at the bottom of our drive, and killed himself, almost certainly didn't mean to do it, even though he was drunk.

Get real. when a car hits you on a motobike and your neck breaks, a helmut is of no use at all, before, during, or after the hit!

Get real. when a car hits you on a motobike and your neck breaks, a helmut is of no use at all, before, during, or after the hit!

Yes, but in other cases it can be useful.

Doing a u-turn and pulling in front of an oncoming vehicle is most likely the bike riders fault. But thank goodness it wasn't a fat Italian involved or you would would really be upset.

A witness told police that there were two women on the motorbike, who'd just left a nearby Family Mart on the opposite side of the road, and had attempted to make a U-turn, to head back in the direction of Patong when they were finally rammed by the pickup truck from behind.

I have always thought that was a stupid place for a Family Mart right off the busy hill road. Not really many nearby homes, seen many bikes crossing over the busy road .... just crazy.

RIP the Brit lady ....

Does not look like slight damage to me, the bumper is pushed right back over the guard, looks like some idiot going to fast.

According to phuketwan site the lady saying she was the rider states that both she and the deceased were wearing helmets.RIP to her friend.

"Accidents DO happen but here in Thailand many are preventable with just the simplest precautions and the most important is ALWAYS wear a helmet and ALWAYS do it up."

Accidents can happen anywhere in the world, but pray tell how can one prevent an accident by just wearing a helmet?

"If you don't think is is necessary just buy a red watermelon, throw it into the air and let it land on the road. That could be your head without a helmet."

The very same result is possible if you throw a melon into the air in bathroom, same as simply slip over in the shower. Yes?

Possibly you are correct but there is a lot of difference between slipping in the shower at zero kph and falling a maximum to 2 metres while not wearing a crash helmet, and being thrown off a motorbike at 60 or more kph and landing on a road or being mashed by a pickup truck doing perhaps 80 or more kph.

There is a formula some that I vaguely remember relating speed and weight but it is lost in the mists of my mind.

I think a bit harsh when you consider this was an accident and not premeditated murder. I am sure the young driver wasn't out to hurt anyone. We don't even know for sure who is to blame yet. But none the less it is still an accident.

"Why are English expats in Thailand so hebetudinous" - it isn't just "english" - (although I suspect you mean British?), it is the nature of so many expats....they come from semis-killed/skilled backgrounds they have spent most of their lives on oil rigs, civil engineering, living a quasi-nomadic existence - they have few social skills and limited education (training yes - education, no) and fail to for proper human relationships. Their life consisted of work and "R&R" - but little or no normal life - marriage, house kids....if they existed at all were consigned to some distant location and seen only every now and then between bouts of work or drinking. When they come to retirement whatever the age they no longer have to work, and unable or uninterested in thinking of other things to do, they just treat life as permanent R&R, so they descend into a cycle of sex and drink.............so Thailand is perfect - they can spend their money here buying the things (sex, beer, food) that others get out of life through normal social interactions.... but they never actually "get a life" because they never had one and don't have the intellectual abilities to work out what that might be.

"Why are English expats in Thailand so hebetudinous" - it isn't just "english" - (although I suspect you mean British?), it is the nature of so many expats....they come from semis-killed/skilled backgrounds they have spent most of their lives on oil rigs, civil engineering, living a quasi-nomadic existence - they have few social skills and limited education (training yes - education, no) and fail to for proper human relationships. Their life consisted of work and "R&R" - but little or no normal life - marriage, house kids....if they existed at all were consigned to some distant location and seen only every now and then between bouts of work or drinking. When they come to retirement whatever the age they no longer have to work, and unable or uninterested in thinking of other things to do, they just treat life as permanent R&R, so they descend into a cycle of sex and drink.............so Thailand is perfect - they can spend their money here buying the things (sex, beer, food) that others get out of life through normal social interactions.... but they never actually "get a life" because they never had one and don't have the intellectual abilities to work out what that might be.

That's a good description/analysis of many expats here and one of the reasons it's quite difficult to find some friends with half a brain here in Thailand. Guys who are interested in something more than Leo, porn and footy, who don't ridicule you for trying to have a half decent conversation