can i use omeprazole instead of nexium ?

bandos2000

• 5 months later...
On 12/14/2015 at 8:49 AM, meatboy said:

having suffered for over 45yrs.with hiatus hernia [acid reflux] i was put on lansoprozole,since moving to thailand i have been on omeprazole 40mg.

very rare i get any discomfort.

and very very comfortable on the pocket, 45bht.x 14

Hello,

What kind of discomfort people usually take ?

And is it usual to have to take this medicine all your life ?

Thank you.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

And no one here has arrived to the ingenious solution of using baking soda for their GERD symptoms. Oldest trick in the book. Take a tea spoon full but not on a full stomach. Swallow down with water and maybe rinse with some sweet drinking yogurt after. Taste just a little bit dry. Works very instant and can reduce your overall consumption of PPI’s which is not good in the long run. 

15 minutes ago, ThorD72 said:

And no one here has arrived to the ingenious solution of using baking soda for their GERD symptoms. Oldest trick in the book. Take a tea spoon full but not on a full stomach. Swallow down with water and maybe rinse with some sweet drinking yogurt after. Taste just a little bit dry. Works very instant and can reduce your overall consumption of PPI’s which is not good in the long run. 

Because they are not irresponsible and ignorant of basic chemistry?

Sodium bicarbonate. NaHCO3. This can be dangerous for many people.  Common sense too. 

- The sodium bicarbonate can increase sodium levels in some subjects. This is the last thing a person with pre-existing heart or kidney problems needs.

- The ph of the urine will become less acidic and more neutral, which will for the increase in bacteria and other beasties. Acid urine at normal levels reduces the likelihood of non specific urethritis.

- NaHCO3 can impact electrolyte levels and can cause unintended side effects.

The use of the product is not for everyone. And is only recommended for very short term use. Most people on TVF are elderly and have pre-existing medical conditions. They are also on medications. Sodium bicarbonate can interact with medications. Yes it can be used in small doses by a  healthy 40 year old. However, it could be dangerous for a 70 year old with renal impairment, or urinary tract infection susceptibility, or  using  calcium based medication.

There are no quick fixes. However, we all know that overeating, excessive alcohol intake, certain acidic foods, sleeping after eating etc. all  are contributing factors to  heartburn and GERD. Deal with the cause and no need for potions and pills.