How easy is it to go through Retirment Visa process oneself

For the love of all things holy, there is no such thing as a retirement visa. One misinformation post after another. Just amazing how you guys that have a retirement extensions are all over 50 and can't wrap your head that fact. Shameful.

Oh, pfui. This is a pedantic semantic quibble. This forum is to share information. In my Immigration Office (Nakhon Sawan) there is a sign in English referring to "extension of visa." There may be some specific terminology that is of interest only to lawyers and judges, but on this forum everybody knows what "retirement visa" means. So do the officers in Immigration, if they speak English (I still meet some who don't).

Edited by Acharn

For the love of all things holy, there is no such thing as a retirement visa. One misinformation post after another. Just amazing how you guys that have a retirement extensions are all over 50 and can't wrap your head that fact. Shameful.

Should I ignore the fact that all my visa's have the word "RETIREMENT" stamped across the top of the visa!

• Like 1

Should I ignore the fact that all my visa's have the word "RETIREMENT" stamped across the top of the visa!

Can you scan and post a picture of one of these "visas" with "RETIREMENT" stamped above it ?

Can you scan and post a picture of one of these "visas" with "RETIREMENT" stamped above it ?

Some non 'O' visas do get issued with 'Retirement' written/stamped on them but it's not common.

All extension of stays have the reason written or stamped on the permit to stay. So an extension of stay based on retirement would normally have "retirement' written/stamped somewhere. Sometimes it's hand written in Thai.

20 - 30K for a retirement visa is a complete ripoff. I had an agent in Chiang Mai do it for 12,000 baht including the fees for the visa and a multiple re-entry permit.

You can save money by converting from the tourist visa to the non-immigrant "O" yourself.

Don't forget you need the 800,000 baht on deposit for three months before applying.

Agents save a lot of time; however, it's quite possible to do it by yourself if you don't mind waiting around.

• Like 1

Yes I can, but I'm not too interested in doing it just to satisfy your curiosity, why not just ask anyone who has an O-A retirement visa, they're all the same.

Yes I can, but I'm not too interested in doing it just to satisfy your curiosity, why not just ask anyone who has an O-A retirement visa, they're all the same.

Oh here:

IMG.pdf

20 - 30K for a retirement visa is a complete ripoff. I had an agent in Chiang Mai do it for 12,000 baht including the fees for the visa and a multiple re-entry permit.

You can save money by converting from the tourist visa to the non-immigrant "O" yourself.

Don't forget you need the 800,000 baht on deposit for three months before applying.

Agents save a lot of time; however, it's quite possible to do it by yourself if you don't mind waiting around.

Not true for first extension of stay for retirement the money must be in account 2 months not three - this allows you to enter and establish account within the 90 days of a non immigrant O visa entry and make application for extension - further extensions will require the 3 month time.

Agents save no time for most - it is just hand-holding. But some do prefer.

• Like 1

Oh here:

attachicon.gifIMG.pdf

Once again. That is not a visa. It is an extension of stay issued for the reason of retirement.

Whatever non immigrant visa you entered the country with has, no doubt, already expired and of no further use. If you had a single entry visa it would have been invalid as soon as you entered the country.

You no longer have a visa.

• Like 1

Not true for first extension of stay for retirement the money must be in account 2 months not three - this allows you to enter and establish account within the 90 days of a non immigrant O visa entry and make application for extension - further extensions will require the 3 month time.

I stand corrected - this 2 months/3 months on deposit is always confusing to me.

The difference between an agent and no agent at CM immigration is 15 minutes vs 3 - 5 hours. I have better things to do with my time. Perhaps your location is more user-friendly.

I stand corrected - this 2 months/3 months on deposit is always confusing to me.

The difference between an agent and no agent at CM immigration is 15 minutes vs 3 - 5 hours. I have better things to do with my time. Perhaps your location is more user-friendly.

Yes it is but I would still not pay a bunch of crooks for something I could so easily do myself.

Why would you?

• Like 1

Oh here:

attachicon.gifIMG.pdf

Once again. That is not a visa. It is an extension of stay issued for the reason of retirement.

Whatever non immigrant visa you entered the country with has, no doubt, already expired and of no further use. If you had a single entry visa it would have been invalid as soon as you entered the country.

You no longer have a visa.

I think it is pedantic and incorrect to suggest that the visa expires the second it is used. When a persons O-A visa is initially issued it is valid for at least twelve months, based on timing it can be valid for almost two years, during that time the visa doesn't expire and the holder can come and go as they please. After an extension of stay the same remains true although according to you there is no underlying visa because it expired, the extension is therefore based on the fact that a person had what, a visa at one point in the past, I don't think so.

And when issued with an extension of stay, bearing in mind the visa has expired (so you say), the holder can leave and return to the country using what, an extention of something that has expired, again, I don't think so.

The fact is that each extension of stay is also a visa extension, a visa that is based on retirement.

Yes it is but I would still not pay a bunch of crooks for something I could so easily do myself.

Why would you?

I thought I had already given the reason. Perhaps your obvious prejudice against agents prevented you from reading that part.facepalm.gif

Why would you?

I thought I had already given the reason. Perhaps your obvious prejudice against agents prevented you from reading that part.facepalm.gif

More like a prejudice against being ripped off.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

Why would you?

More like a prejudice against being ripped off.

Depends on how you value your own time, doesn't it?

Thanks all for your comments and discussions. So does anyone know what documents they will need at Thai Consulate in Vientiane for 90 day Non-O visas for me, wife and child?

Edited by RBOP

Thanks all for your comments and discussions. So does anyone know what documents they will need at Thai Consulate in Vientiane for 90 day Non-O visas for me, wife and child?

You will need your financial proof to get yours. Income letter or bank book or both totaling 800k baht. The money only has to be in the bank on the date you apply.

Marriage and birth certificates for your family. If not in English they must be translated to Thai.

You will need your financial proof to get yours. Income letter or bank book or both totaling 800k baht. The money only has to be in the bank on the date you apply.

Marriage and birth certificates for your family. If not in English they must be translated to Thai.

UbonJoe,

Thanks so your saying bring the bank letter to Vientiane Thai Consulate to support getting the 90 day Non-O visas?

UbonJoe,

Thanks so your saying bring the bank letter to Vientiane Thai Consulate to support getting the 90 day Non-O visas?

You will need your bank book to prove the 800k baht balance. You can get a bank letter to show also if asked for it.

I mentioned all the financial options because I was not sure which option you were using.

UbonJoe,

You will need your bank book to prove the 800k baht balance. You can get a bank letter to show also if asked for it.

I mentioned all the financial option because I was not sure which option you were using.

I'll probably do both (bring bank book and letter from bank confirming balance) just to cover all the bases. Thanks.

retirement extension not given at jomtien if less than 12 months validity on passport I asked and got a firm no, and no extension valid to expiry either so maybe others will waiver be careful.

I just got a retirement extension in Jomtien with my passport expiring on May 20, 2016 (less than 6 months)

they gave the extension only to the date of my passport expiry date and it will not transfer to my new passport

so I need to apply for a new extension again in May

this was just last week

only problem is that I have no passport for 3 weeks while the reissue of my passport is being handled at my Embassy

had to do it in this order or I would have been overstay

Had I had an ounce of sense I would have applied for my new passport a month before my retirement visa was due for extension

regards