Time sensitive package stuck in Customs for 10 days - help!

dcnx

I have a package sent via USPS priority that has been stuck in BKK for 10 days and counting with no updates on tracking.

Does anyone recommend a service / customs broker who may be able to get this for me?

It's a time sensitive package.

Thank you.

Been there twice, they can't help. Even went to Customs here in Chiang Mai, also, no help. They sent me to the post office, who says they can't find it because it is not showing in the Thai system yet, but USPS has confirmed Customs has it.

Incredibly frustrating.

I hate to be a wet blanket ,but i had this problem a few years ago , they just tried to get money out of me ,more than the stuff was worth , in the end i told them to put it where the monkey puts his nuts , never send anything with any of the carriers ,only normal post

I hate to be a wet blanket ,but i had this problem a few years ago , they just tried to get money out of me ,more than the stuff was worth , in the end i told them to put it where the monkey puts his nuts , never send anything with any of the carriers ,only normal post

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

Never send any goods to Thailand by DHL, Fedex, TNT, UPS, EMS, etc.

USPS priority post is not recommended as the packages are handled by EMS customs in Bangkok.

They like to extort money from foreigners.

Only send by ordinary Air Mail Registered.

Edited by Nomerant

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

USPS priority post is not recommended as the packages are handled by EMS customs in Bangkok.

But if time sensitive better FedEx, TNT, UPS....at least they don't loose it.

Been there twice, they can't help. Even went to Customs here in Chiang Mai, also, no help. They sent me to the post office, who says they can't find it because it is not showing in the Thai system yet, but USPS has confirmed Customs has it.

Incredibly frustrating.

If it is over time already, the sender should complain that it is lost. But that won't bring it faster.

Anyway the last week customs didn't work much so the 10 days, are just a few working days.....don't mean it as excuse I mean that there is still hope....

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

According to my experience Thailand Post is one of the best postal services in the world..

The chances they can lose a registered package are 1 to 10000

The courier service like FedEx, TNT, UPS is recommended only for non dutable items (documents, small gifts).

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

According to my experience Thailand Post is one of the best postal services in the world..

The courier service like FedEx, TNT, UPS is recommended only for non dutable items (documents, small gifts).

I take it you are trying to be funny or you are just an apologist. Anyone that has lived here long enough and uses the post office regularly knows that many things go missing, are held to garner a payment or are simply taken by the workers. Try reading all the posts on thai post and what has happened over the years to others. They are good when things are done properly but unfortunately that doesnt happen all the time, an extra payment for your goods to be actually delivered is common place, if they think they can hit you up they will. I know people that have had their registered items signed for by the delivery person and then kept/sold and when caught they get no punishment or made to replace the items stolen, dont even lose their jobs.

Edited by seajae

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

I take it you are trying to be funny or you are just an apologist. Anyone that has lived here long enough and uses the post office regularly knows that many things go missing, are held to garner a payment or are simply taken by the workers. Try reading all the posts on thai post and what has happened over the years to others. They are good when things are done properly but unfortunately that doesnt happen all the time, an extra payment for your goods to be actually delivered is common place, if they think they can hit you up they will. I know people that have had their registered items signed for by the delivery person and then kept/sold and when caught they get no punishment or made to replace the items stolen, dont even lose their jobs.

I have lived in Thailand for 10 years and I am receiving a few dozen packages by Thailand Post every month.

So I know what I am talking about.

Edited by Nomerant

Incredibly frustrating.

Here is a link to some useful information regarding customs duties to be paid in Thailand for the goods sent from abroad by ordinary post of another country (handled by Thailand Post over here).

The Customs Department of Thailand: Importing Postal Items

If the goods' FOB value is below 1,000.- Thai Baht, the customs duty is not applicable.

If you don't want to pay customs duty for the goods whose FOB value is between 1,000 - 5,000 Thai Baht you may have them sent by the so called "Small Packet" International Air Mail Registered (the package weight not over 2 kg) and declare the goods FOB value 990.- Thai Baht.

Thailand Post will not bother to open and inspect the package.

Edited by Nomerant

Incredibly frustrating.

By the way, what exactly was sent in this parcel?

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

I receive 1-2 packages every week per regular post for the last few years and exactly ZERO were lost. Sometimes we had to pay tax, but just the correct amount. Never any extra payment. If I wouldn't receive an item I would claim it with the shipper, but that never happened.

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

I would say FedEx, etc. is not good specially for small gifts laugh.png As they want to charge duty on it.

On something urgent and with real value you just have to pay the correct tax and they are usually too lazy and put in a tariff number that the customs won't complain about (more tax).

It was never very wrong but it is calculated from the landing costs which makes things expensive.

Incredibly frustrating.

Here is a link to some useful information regarding customs duties to be paid in Thailand for the goods sent from abroad by ordinary post of another country (handled by Thailand Post over here).

If the goods' FOB value is below 1,000.- Thai Baht, the customs duty is not applicable.

If you don't want to pay customs duty for the goods whose FOB value is between 1,000 - 5,000 Thai Baht you may have them sent by the so called "Small Packet" International Air Mail Registered (the package weight not over 2 kg) and declare the goods FOB value 990.- Thai Baht.

Not correct, custom duties are calculated on C&F (cost + freight) basis, which is the correct value of the item at arrival in Thailand.

Anyway I receive at least 1 packet a week, mailed - Registered Express Airmail - to my wife's Thai name and the mailman allways gets a tip.

Not 1 packet dissappeared !

Yermanee wai.gif

Incredibly frustrating.

Not correct, custom duties are calculated on C&F (cost + freight) basis, which is the correct value of the item at arrival in Thailand.

Anyway I receive at least 1 packet a week, mailed - Registered Express Airmail - to my wife's Thai name and the mailman allways gets a tip.

Yermanee wai.gif

Well the Thai post and customs aren't so exactly.....I got 1 shipment labeled 100 Euro (product not total) and the charged me 7 % VAT which was 7 Baht laugh.png

But usually I don't pay anything.

Incredibly frustrating.

Between USPS and Thai post office tracking systems,I've the Thai post office to be more reliable.

It's little bit late for this package....but always have international packages sent with the first line being the name of your Thai wife / Thai girlfriend / Thai friend. There is the law and then there is what happens. If they think the package is for a Thai national, it's amazing how much more accommodating Customs are, even when the package contains items that are way in excess of the official allowances.

For the current package, unfortunately you're going to have to accept that the only way you're getting it is with an inflated payment to those who are holding it. You will not be able to arrange this over the phone, it needs to be done in person. Send a Thai person with some cash.... you'll have it within a few minutes.

Edited by PJ33

It's little bit late for this package....but always have international packages sent with the first line being the name of your Thai wife / Thai girlfriend / Thai friend. There is the law and then there is what happens. If they think the package is for a Thai national, it's amazing how much more accommodating Customs are, even when the package contains items that are way in excess of the official allowances.

For the current package, unfortunately you're going to have to accept that the only way you're getting it is with an inflated payment to those who are holding it. You will not be able to arrange this over the phone, it needs to be done in person. Send a Thai person with some cash.... you'll have it within a few minutes.

Not true:

I send almost everything on my name and often way in excess of the official allowance. I could argue that the treat Farangs better, but I suspect in fact they just don't read what is on and in the parcel.

I was clearing things myself: No problem

I sent staff with a copy of my passport no problem.

No difference at all in Bangkok....Maybe it is different in the North/South/East but not in BKK.

Thai customs must be so stupid letting the majority of packages sent to thai nationals pay less the the minority of packages addressed to foreigners. I am sure they have a special sorter and all packages with a foreign looking name go to the vip line for special tax.

Thai customs must be so stupid letting the majority of packages sent to thai nationals pay less the the minority of packages addressed to foreigners. I am sure they have a special sorter and all packages with a foreign looking name go to the vip line for special tax.

And I suggest you both above have yourselves treated for paranoia.

Incredibly frustrating.

USPS tracking is worthless here as it is not tied into the Thai EMS system, even though the tracking numbering system is the same. USPS does not know that "the package is with customs." Once something leaves Los Angeles, that's it. It's in the wind. You can only hope and pray that it will make it to you, one day. And it may appear one day. Or it may not. While I'm happy for those who receive lots of packages with none ever lost, I have had several go missing over the years. And so for some of us, this happens regularly.

That said, sending something registered is a fairly good option. I wouldn't want to say a 100% chance of delivery, given my general experiences, but I've always had good luck with registered. USPS tracking is a waste of money. Private carriers, ala UPS? My experience is that customs will always get you for duties there, while the Thai post office often seems to let such things slide.

My advice to you in this case? Wait. And keep waiting. If you're lucky, you'll one day be "pleasantly surprised," maybe, and time sensitive issues aside.

Incredibly frustrating.

Yermanee wai.gif

The Other Poster did not comment on how the customs tax is calculated. Everyone knows that the calculation base for customs tax is CNF price added with VAT.

Obviously you didn't bother to open the link he provided: The Customs Department of Thailand: Importing Postal Items

Categories of Postal Items

Category 1: Low value postal items

This category comprises postal items having no commercial value and which are exempted from taxes and duties provided that they are subject to the criteria listed below :

• The value does not exceed 1,000 baht; and
  • The item is a commercial sample of no commercial value.

Any items that are prohibited and restricted are excluded.

The postal items under Category 1 are delivered to the Thailand Post for further distribution to the consignees at the given address.

Category 2 : Postal items subject to applicable taxes and duties

This category comprises postal items of which FOB value is above 1,000 baht but does not exceed 40,000 baht and which are subjected to taxes and duties.

Any items that are prohibited and restricted are excluded.

The items under Category 2 are jointly examined by Customs and the Thailand Post. After the applicable taxes and duties are determined, such postal items are sent to the Thailand Post for further distribution to the destined postal office, and subsequently to the consignees.

Applicable taxes and duties of the postal items under this Category are collected by the Thailand Post on behalf of Thai Customs. In this connection, the Thailand Post will issue and send the consignee a dispatch note known as “Notice on the Collection of International Postal Items”. The consignee then brings such Notice to the Thailand Post office and pay applicable taxes and duties.

Category 3 : Other postal items

This category comprises the postal items other than those categorized under Category 1 and Category 2.

The postal items under Category 3 are brought to the Thailand Post and kept in the warehouse, pending for processing Customs procedures. The Thailand Post then issues a “Notice on the Collection of International Postal Items” to the consignee. The consignee must contact Customs officers at the Postal and Airport Customs Service Division, the Bangkok Customs Bureau, or a Customs Office as indicated in the Notice. The postal items are released after applicable taxes and duties are paid.

In case where the value of the items exceeds 40,000 baht, the consignee is required to submit an Import Declaration through the e-Customs system. However, in case where the value of the items does not exceed 40,000 baht, the consignee is not required to submit formal Import Declaration.